Dvd players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dvd players

anyone bought a cheap dvd player that also plays regio 1 dvd's ?

I found loads of cool dvd's at a carbootsale .... (dvd us region) my player doensn't support it and can't hack it..

any recommandations ? wich model should i get ?

Pokester, are you *sure* that your current machine isn't hackable ? What do you have ?
    Matt Hero

Comment

it's a sony one dvl it's only hackable if they put a microchip in it....

the code they put on the internet doesn't work

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (pokester @ Oct. 04 2004,12:02)]it's a sony one dvl it's only hackable if they put a microchip in it....

the code they put on the internet doesn't work  
        Generally speak, all the 'major' old school brands, Phillips, Sony, Pioneer etc - those that signed up for the region standards originally - don't make their machines handset hackable.

Ironically, if you'd bought a budget player from the supermarket, it is more than likely to to be handset hackable, as their makers are not limited by this agreement.

My Pioneer player (which replaced my supermarket budget job which was handset hackable) has been fitted with a mod chip which gets around the problem. Also fixes annoyances like Macrovision and FBI screens, there are likely to be places locally to you that can fit them.

A couple of other issues you might want to consider too. You'll need your TV to support NTSC or Pal 60 for playback. Very few DVD players actually convert NTSC to Pal 50 (the native European rate running at 50 hz), instead converting to a 60Hz version of Pal. Most TVs in the UK bought within the last 5 years are capable of this.... even if their owners don't always realise this !

Feel free to PM me if you need any more details.... or reply here of course !
        Matt Hero

Comment

many thanks for the info matt,

i've checked my tv and it's no problem...

Comment

wich was the brand of your supermarket player ?

Comment

check out the Cyberhome DVD players - a German brand, easily available in Europe, all handset-hackable... cheap and cheerful...
              http://www.blaxploitation.com
              Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

cheers ed

Comment

Mine was a Wharfedale 750 - the machine de jour going back 5 years or so.....
                  Matt Hero

Comment

Working...
                  X