Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting uk 12"s

Ok.

We've done singles and LP's. What about 12"s?

There were some interesting things issued in the UK which were either promo only in the US or shit rare.

Here's a few to kick things off with (or be the only post on this thread&#33:

Ashford & Simpson - Bourgie Bourgie (WB) only ever released in the UK on 12" I think

Francine McGee - Delirium (RCA) Never released in the US on 12", only in Canada & the UK

Lamont Dozier - Going Back To My Roots (WB) Hard on US. Easier to get on the UK 12" which is the 'B' to Boogie Business

Deodato - Whistle Bump (WB) Promo only US 12". Got a UK release and is miles easier (and cheaper) to find. Unfortunately the sound is shite when compared to the US copy.

Blackbirds -Rock Creek Park (Can't Remember Label. Not Fantasy I think) Only released on 12" in the Uk.

Lonnie Liston Smith - Expansions (RCA) Only released on 12" in the UK.

Anybody care to add anymore? Soul/Funk/Jazz/Hip Hop/House/Rock

I'm interested in any quirky/rare 12"s that got a UK issue.

I'll try and think of some more at lunchtime.
    He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

I think Willie Bobo -Always there was only a Uk release.

Comment

You're probably right there. I know of a US promo 12" but not an issue.
      He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

How about the various 80's issue Urban 12s ? Do they count as first issues ?
        Matt Hero

Comment

My mate always say that they are UK first issue 12"s. I disagree, as I see them as reissues, since they came out many years after the songs were initially issued.

Mind you, that was the case for the Ashford & Simpson, Lonnie Liston Smith & Blackbirds 12"s I listed above too, so I can see both sides.

I know for a fact a Midlands dealer (not Hard To Find for a change&#33 booted up all of the decent Urban 12"s in the mid/late 90's, so be careful when buying if you haven't got them already people.

Comment

blackbyrds..fantasy uk n that shitty lable
            gil scot the bottle live rca uk
            doris duke..woman of the ghetto..contempo
            lowell mellow mellow right on..avi
            roy ayres runnin away..polydor
            leos starship..sunshine..grapevine
            all the urban 12s, sweet charles, jackson sisters, bobby bryd, lyn collins,funky drummer, roy ayres sunshine??
            jimmy bo horne..dance across the floor..tk
            kool and gang..summer madness
            george duke reach for it..epic
            cheryl lyn to be real..columbia
            the returners..cant remember name..sonlight rare breaks
            barkays holy ghost..stax
            www.budgetbeats.com

Comment

all the ray munnings and related 12"s on Ray's label Tammi (these are also on rare UK 45s)
              http://www.blaxploitation.com
              Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (Hadrian Elephant @ Oct. 04 2004,11:41)]I know for a fact a Midlands dealer (not Hard To Find for a change&#33 booted up all of the decent Urban 12"s in the mid/late 90's, so be careful when buying if you haven't got them already people.
                They've been booted again recently I think.

I did have a complete set of them at one stage, then got rid of all bar 'Cross The Tracks' for some reason

Oh well.....
                Matt Hero

Comment

urbans all jus got booted outta the states!!
                  www.budgetbeats.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (TuckinFrat @ Oct. 04 2004,11:46)]the returners..cant remember name..sonlight rare breaks
                    That thing on Ebonite? Long Road Back?

While we are at it, does anybody know anything about the Ebonite label?

Recordkingz reckon it's a President spin off, other people say it's a Library label. All the things I've heard off it have been (to my ears) boring, meandering jazzy funky things.

The label looks great though and they must be pretty obscure.

Anyone rate anything on it?

Here's the releases I have got from a quick google:

Secret Rainbow - Secret Love
                    Smilestone - Smilestone (different label? US?)
                    Sky Law - Thats The Way Of The World
                    The Mugwumps - Slipping Down
                    Water Trip - ?

Comment

yeah ebonite thats it
                      i had the returners 12 which is fab theres that lp with something eggs trak that is fat and another lp with a track, cant remember any names you never see that lable anymore though there is some shitty ol jazz kinda reissues there too

theres no way its a library lable i go with julien and say its a sub sidary of president or an independent
                      www.budgetbeats.com

Comment

gil scott-heron 'the bottle (drunken mix)' (champagne)
                        manfredo fest 'jungle kitten'

somewhere I've got a Warners white label (from the very early 80's, I think) of 'Going Back to My Roots' - Richie Havens one one side, Lamont Dozier on the other.
                        We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Maybe I should have given the Ebonite things I heard a better listen, as I have never seen anything on the label for bloody ages.

Has anyone been to the President warehouse? Did they see any Ebonite stock there?

Comment

stevie wonder..happy birthday motown 12 with the rev king speech on the flip used to go for mad loot coz all the ravers used to buy it for the martin luther speech, imaginative bunch they are

uk only pretty wak
                            www.budgetbeats.com

Comment

hayd - ebonite? you mean with the green label (sometimes red) with the script-style 'ebonite' text?
                              http://www.blaxploitation.com
                              Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Working...
                              X