Arena - history of hip hop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arena - history of hip hop

I've been thinking about transfering my Video collection to DVD (see other thread) and got thinking about things I had on Video but that can no longer find. One is the documentary Arena did back in the late 80's / early 90's on Hip Hop with Bambaataa, Cold Crush and loads of Uk guys.

Hugh in Mr Bongo told me years ago that this was going to be reissued but I've never seen it. I t apparently got legit video release back in the day but I've never seen this either.

I've even got a friend that works in the BBC archive but even they haven't come up with a copy yet.

Anyone remeber this or have a copy they could dub for me. There is a possibility that this could be nowhere near as good as I remember it but I have memories of some English DJ cutting the intro to It's Not Unusual by Tom Jones in his bedroom and thinking it was great.

HELP!!!!!!!!!& #33;

Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (llmod1 @ Oct. 05 2004,14:21)]I've been thinking about transfering my Video collection to DVD (see other thread) and got thinking about things I had on Video but that can no longer find. One is the documentary Arena did back in the late 80's / early 90's on Hip Hop with Bambaataa, Cold Crush and loads of Uk guys.

Hugh in Mr Bongo told me years ago that this was going to be reissued but I've never seen it. I t apparently got legit video release back in the day but I've never seen this either.

I've even got a friend that works in the BBC archive but even they haven't come up with a copy yet.

Anyone remeber this or have a copy they could dub for me. There is a possibility that this could be nowhere near as good as I remember it but I have memories of some English DJ cutting the intro to It's Not Unusual by Tom Jones in his bedroom and thinking it was great.

HELP!!!!!!!!!& #33;
    dunno about arena but the guy cutting up tom jones is dj fingers (from the the sindecut) and it's from "bad meaning good", a documentary put together by tim westwood...i've got a copy but not sure how i could get it dubbed for you....

Comment

i might be barking up the wrong tree actually..

it's possible arena just borrowed footage from "bad meaning good", cause that only featured british artists, certainly no bam, cold crush etc. plus it was made in 87, so a little earlier than the one you're on about...

Comment

I might have a copy of this at my parents so I'll have a look out when I'm back next. I think it might have been called 'Bad Meaning Good' but its been such a long time since I watched it I might be wrong. I'm prety sure it was DJ Fingers from The Sindecut who was cutting up Tom Jones alongside doubles of 'Films' by Gary Numan though.
        http://www.myspace.com/colinmillar

Comment

I've got a copy of a Hip Hop documentay, I think it was called 'Hip Hop, a Street History' and features a lot of Bam, McLaren, Graf writer Brim and the Anti Graf cops... it also has some annoying DJ "rapping" his commentary over the top... I've not watched it for nearly 15 years I reckon... let me know if it's the one and I'll lend it to you.
          Official Old School UK Hip Hop T-Shirts available at www.stylewarrior.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (Martin Lovegrove @ Oct. 05 2004,15:17)]I've got a copy of a Hip Hop documentay, I think it was called 'Hip Hop, a Street History' and features a lot of Bam, McLaren, Graf writer Brim and the Anti Graf cops... it also has some annoying DJ "rapping" his commentary over the top... I've not watched it for nearly 15 years I reckon... let me know if it's the one and I'll lend it to you.
            is this the one where there's some writers painting a character up on a rooftop? think there's a guy called eros in it? i had that on tape years ago and lost it and couldn't remember what it was called...

Comment

It's very good, this, probably because it's one of the few things from that era that was properly produced. It was done by, of all people, Alan Yentob. You will have seen the most famous shot of Herc riding round in his car which gets wheeled every other week on some cheapo Beeb documentary. My copy's gone missing.
              http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (the bearded one @ Oct. 05 2004,15:42)]is this the one where there's some writers painting a character up on a rooftop?
                There's a scene where Brim is painting a character on some boards on a hilltop... very 'Skeme' looking, there's also a part where he's on the subway with some fat ski google type fashion 'ting going on... very old skool bwoy!
                Official Old School UK Hip Hop T-Shirts available at www.stylewarrior.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Martin Lovegrove @ Oct. 05 2004,15:17)]I've got a copy of a Hip Hop documentay, I think it was called 'Hip Hop, a Street History' and features a lot of Bam, McLaren, Graf writer Brim and the Anti Graf cops... it also has some annoying DJ "rapping" his commentary over the top... I've not watched it for nearly 15 years I reckon... let me know if it's the one and I'll lend it to you.
                  There's quicktime downloads of this one here . . .

http://www.hiphop-network.com/archive....ory.asp
                  Laminated with Clarifoil™

also see : davidhopkinson.org

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Martin, bits of that sound familiar, maybe as someone else said they borrowed bits from other docs. I'd love to borrow it though if possible to check it out, pm me please when you get a chance.

I'm pretty sure the doc was called the History of Hip Hop and not Bad Meaning Good but I'd love to see this anyway if anyone can find a copy. It's definitely the film that Lady boy is talking about also. Thanks for the info guys.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (Mr_Hopkinson @ Oct. 05 2004,16:14)]
                      Originally posted by [b
                      There's quicktime downloads of this one here . . .

http://www.hiphop-network.com/archive....ory.asp
                      Just looked at the screen caps from that website and they look like the doc I'm talking about, thanks for that. Still like a VHS copy if possible.

Comment

In fact, they re-showed a lot of this doc, when Yentob did THe Hip Hop Generation (or something similar) as part of his pretentiously dreadful Imagine series on BBC1 a while ago. It was the only reason it was worth watching.
                        http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

I think you may have got these mixed up in the haze of time (easily done)

Definitely two documentaries

The Arena one (84?85?) with Bam, Kool Herc, Brim + others (Coldcrush or Fantastic Five calling themselves the Heartbreakers??)

Bad Meaning Good is definitely the BBC UK (87?88?) one with London Posse, Cookie Crew, Westwood, Scam, Pride, Sindecut etc etc

Who remembers Bombin' featuring Brim, Bio,  Goldie, 3D & The Chrome Angelz????
                          He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

I'm also after a copy of that Arena doc too. There surely must be some copies out there somewhere??!
                            www.myspace.com/usofaudio
                            www.myspace.com/detectivesofperspective
                            www.detectivesofperspective.com/

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (Martin Lovegrove @ Oct. 05 2004,15:17)]it also has some annoying DJ "rapping" his commentary over the top...
                              That'll be Gary 'Soul Travelin' Byrd. You're not wrong though, he's damn annnoying, uh. Anyone remember when he took over the Steve Wright show on Radio One for a few days?

Comment

Working...
                              X