Obscure music related tv / film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obscure music related tv / film

Llmod's thread got me thinking about some things from the past that I wish I had had the foresight to press "rec" for.

A couple from the dim and distant which I'd love to see again:

A US TV doc. on James Brown (from the 70s) which featured him demonstrating the various dances he claimed to have invented. Was broadcast late night on Granada TV when i was still at school (which would make it 1979 -1980 at the latest...).

A US feature length doc. on disco roller skating kids in the us with cool clothes and a great disco/boogie soundtrack. Shown on BBC1 on a friday night in the early - mid 80s.

There must be loads of these. Not just music progs but other types of show which have stuck in the mind for great incidental music or whatever..Anyone got any more?
    Endless Tripe

Not entirely related, but I did hear 'Good Time Are So Hard To Find' by Blue Cheer on a early evening BBC show this week. Which was nice....
    Matt Hero

Comment

I would love the BBC series 'Sounds Of The 60s'. I lost them on video over 10 years ago and although they're mostly shite there's some gems on there and i'm nostalgic about watching these nostalgia based programmes.
      Anyone got them, I would pay.

Comment

Anyone got the Chris Needham video diary?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (son of stan @ Oct. 06 2004,18:02)]A US feature length doc. on disco roller skating kids in the us with cool clothes and a great disco/boogie soundtrack. Shown on BBC1 on a friday night in the early - mid 80s.
          I think I remember that, did it feature Karen Youngs 'Hot Shot' heavily?
          He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

Some of the music from Alias Smith & Jones, title tune from the 70s film Cops & Robbers, end credits to World In Action (though I'm sure it's on a library LP, anyone?), incidental music on the Doberman Gang, some stuff from The Outfit (was this released on vinyl), not forgetting my much aired grudge about the Moroder score on Scarface criminally left off the OST, I'm utterly convinced the theme tune of The Bill can be converted into a hard funk classic, bits from Arabian Knights the cartoon show. I'll try to come uo with some more if I really think about it...
            http://wakeupanddie.com
            http://weirdgearnyc.com
            http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

There's loads of 70s films like 'The Outfit' (Jerry Fielding I think) that had amazing music that never got releases. Schifrin alone did loads of 'hard-boiled' thrillers in the 70s, Fielding loads more. The Outfit does stand out as one of the best though - great film too.
              They've got to be on tape somewhere.
              The best ever for me, but might not be to all your tastes, is Steve Karmen's music for 'Teenage Gang Debs' from about '66.
              There's a track called 'Dont Make Me Mad' on it that's just killer in a funky Elvis style!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (Nick Cope @ Oct. 06 2004,21:20)]Some of the music from Alias Smith & Jones, title tune from the 70s film Cops & Robbers, end credits to World In Action (though I'm sure it's on a library LP, anyone?), incidental music on the Doberman Gang, some stuff from The Outfit (was this released on vinyl), not forgetting my much aired grudge about the Moroder score on Scarface criminally left off the OST, I'm utterly convinced the theme tune of The Bill can be converted into a hard funk classic, bits from Arabian Knights the cartoon show. I'll try to come uo with some more if I really think about it...
                I've got a 7" of Pete Duel of alias smith and jones fame doing his poetry, if that counts.Don't think you wanna hear it though....
                Endless Tripe

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Nick Cope @ Oct. 06 2004,21:20)]end credits to World In Action (though I'm sure it's on a library LP, anyone?),
                  No, sadly - it's never been released anywhere. There are quite a few people out there who want a copy though.....if only someone with their own record label would get on to Granada and try to get their hands on the tape!

Mik - I love the Teenage Gang Debs music, especially the 'Black Belt' song. It's definitely one I wish I'd taped (though I did make an off-air audio cassette of some of Black Belt when it was on TV once.)

I've got a few editions of Sounds Of The Sixties on video too.

Comment

theres one ost ive been after dunno if it exists but its that 7ts film were julie andrews gets her tits out [thats the point of the movie]. my mates dad dave doom has a massive music archive on film, he got everything and he used to have a dalek and tardis..im always gettin asked for the 'are you being served' theme does that exist, i got the countdown theme the other month, great.
                    www.budgetbeats.com

Comment

oh yeah jus got

harlem globetrotters/ brother bones ..theme 45
                      also collect sesame st lps got about twenty inc the beatnuts break one
                      hammer house of horror theme 45 is quite good
                      anyone got a copy of 'the naked ape' ost for me
                      www.budgetbeats.com

Comment

All Laurie Johnson's underscores for 'The Professionals' and 'The New Avengers' need to be released on vinyl - some of the hardest, dirtiest funk of the 1970s! He also wrote the 'World in Action' theme - what a beautiful piece of music that is.
                        A leaping rocker with a strong mood, a moderate beat and a safari feel.

Comment

Ditto on the Outfit OST, nearly fell off my chair when I heard that.
                          Some of the music from Glastonbury Fayre was pretty ace (a few nice bits that didn't get on the LP, like someone (gong perhaps) soundchecking the drum kit.) The film has eluded me for a long time...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (TuckinFrat @ Oct. 07 2004,08:24)]theres one ost ive been after dunno if it exists but its that 7ts film were julie andrews gets her tits out
                            That sounds like S.O.B. A terrible, terrible movie! And no, I don't have that guide to nude scenes in films in of front me... (I memorised it, the book that is, not Julie Andrews's nude scene - what do you think I am? A Pervert?)

I'm pretty sure the Outfit score came out on a film buff CD, much like the Pelham one. I must have been asleep when that happened and I'm surprised no one has picked up on it or booted it etc. Maybe cos there's no hip hop samples on it eh?!
                            http://wakeupanddie.com
                            http://weirdgearnyc.com
                            http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (Nick Cope @ Oct. 07 2004,10:07)]
                              Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (TuckinFrat @ Oct. 07 2004,08:24)]theres one ost ive been after dunno if it exists but its that 7ts film were julie andrews gets her tits out
                              That sounds like S.O.B. A terrible, terrible movie! And no, I don't have that guide to nude scenes in films in of front me... (I memorised it, the book that is, not Julie Andrews's nude scene - what do you think I am? A Pervert?)

I'm pretty sure the Outfit score came out on a film buff CD, much like the Pelham one. I must have been asleep when that happened and I'm surprised no one has picked up on it or booted it etc. Maybe cos there's no hip hop samples on it eh?!
                              yeah bro thats it sob the soundtracks fat, shit film though
                              www.budgetbeats.com

Comment

Working...
                              X