Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standard library lp's

I've been wondering this for a while..

What's the "market value" for the best of the Standard music libraries? I mean, in terms of quality, the music on some of these is well above average when it comes to library labels. Some of the releases, say, between numbers ESL 100-140, are totally on the money and very very funky (loads of breaks and all). I very rarely see these on any lists, and when they hit the ebay, they usually sell very cheap. Are they underrated, easy to come by or just simply relatively unknown? What's the situation in the UK?

Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]underrated
    I reckon thats the one and lets keep it that way until I pick up the other ones I need
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Not many have breaks to my knowledge. I know 118 is good. Need that.

List some numbers up then dude. I have about 10 good standards.
      www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

142 (Dramatic) had a great drum track on it, though any resemblance to the drums on Keeping It Real is purely coincidental&#33;
        Don't call it a comeback... H, N, and the number 7.
        Ok, it's a bit of a comeback, I suppose...

Comment

In my experience, they don&#39;t turn up too often - it took me years to get my first Standard.

On the other hand, they did seem to keep their LPs in print for much longer than other libs - the Moog/Dramatic one always turns up (probably because it also has the theme tune to &#39;Upstairs Downstairs&#39; on it&#33.

Comment

Ok, maybe I got a bit carried away..just ordered eight of them for cheap, hearing only snippets, but they sounded real nice.

So far, only have these two..

Pop/Rock Sounds, Multi-Keyboard Sounds ESL 118

...With the funky harpsichord thing going on + alternative versions of some of the tracks with just bass+drums.

Small Group Pop: National and Solo Instruments ESL 129

..With a long drumbreak.

Hoping for the rest to come through soon..

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (seamus @ Oct. 07 2004,14:33)]Pop/Rock Sounds, Multi-Keyboard Sounds ESL 118

...With the funky harpsichord thing going on + alternative versions of some of the tracks with just bass+drums.
              pretty sure this is the one i&#39;ve got...the track called &quot;viva&quot; (bass and drums only version) is dope...

Comment

I don’t have the number but the one with one side called “Pop Pulsations” is a good un’. Practicaly every track on that side is funky.

Theres also a Mike Vickers electronic one which is good in weird way.
                Endless Tripe

Comment

I actually think I have ESL142. Its on my site anways&#33;

I see standards around all the time. Obviously none of the good ones anways. I think the most common library label has to be bruton and de Wolfe. Especially late ones. Around London they are just bloody everywhere&#33;
                  www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

I&#39;m pretty sure that Lee posted it in his chart a while back. I seem to remember cracking a smile over his comments about nice breaks, or something to that effect.
                    Don't call it a comeback... H, N, and the number 7.
                    Ok, it's a bit of a comeback, I suppose...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (son of stan @ Oct. 07 2004,14:56)]I don’t have the number but the one with one side called “Pop Pulsations” is a good un’. Practicaly every track on that side is funky.
                      Pop Pulsations 2 is great too - top-drawer Polish disco funk.

The MD for that LP, Zbigniew Gorny, had his own website where he mentioned it briefly, but the site seems to have disappeared now (and it was all in Polish anyway&#33

Comment

The one I&#39;ve got has Comrade Gorny plus various other Polish sounding disco-funk luminaries.

The last track is a &quot;modern interpretation&quot; of &quot;Prelude in E Minor&quot;. Hammond and busy drums. Sounds like some crazy late 60s proto prog. Ace.

BTW Mine came from a charity. There were 2 copies. Both  had the listings for the &quot;Pop Pulsations&quot; side scribbled out in red pen and the name of the composer of the jingles side prominently circled. ( I gave the spare away)  

It&#39;s ESL 139.
                        Endless Tripe

Comment

I purchased a copy of ESL 126 - &quot;Romantic Pastoral/French Music/Acitivty/Travel/Dramatic off ebay a few weeks ago.
                          It features a couple of orchestral tracks by Sven Libaek. Also has a few tracks by Johnny Sangster. Sangster track is semi funk with flute and didgeridoo.

Which Standard lp features &quot;Doctor in the House&quot; theme? Has anyone a spare?

Cheers,

David S
                          God bless Fatso.

Comment

does anybody know ESL 123 - "Small Group Pop"?

is it worth buying?

i'm interessted in some uptempo souljazz tracks like "a bowl of soul" or "funky soul thing" from ESL 109 - "Dance And Jazz / Activity / Travel"

Comment

I agree with Lord T - big thumbs up for Pop Pulsations 2 (ESL 143)

There's another one - no number, sorry - with a side like 'Light Activity' which has 3 or 4 Peter Beasson tracks at the end, cool girly scat bossa gear, basically the same as his impossible album on Soundways . Also a jazzy breezy scat thing on the same one which has the theme to 'Please, Sir!'.

Comment

Working...
                              X