Ultimate breaks and beats?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate breaks and beats?

With all this talk of funk it got me thinking. I know not everyone on here came from a hip hop background, I was wondering how many tracks do you think you own off the ultimates, and which ones would you like to own that you don't already?

I reckon I would have 70/75% of the tracks on them, and would love a copy of 'Impeach the president'.
    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Originally posted by mr sayers View Post
    With all this talk of funk it got me thinking. I know not everyone on here came from a hip hop background, I was wondering how many tracks do you think you own off the ultimates, and which ones would you like to own that you don't already?

I reckon I would have 70/75% of the tracks on them, and would love a copy of 'Impeach the president'.
    I reckon I've had a similar percentage. I managed to lose a lot of b-boy records in a lock-up which I couldn't afford the pay for. U.b.b were such an important part of my fledgling habit.
    kraut rock ist nicht tot!
    http://www.myspace.com/andyvotel
    http://www.myspace.com/voteldesign

Comment

Originally posted by DOKO*ENO View Post
      U.b.b were such an important part of my fledgling habit.
      Likewise...

Reckon I'll have 75% of the tracks too.

"Champ" on Pama LP still eludes me. Got the 45 version(s) but still pest after that album...

I have "Impeach"...

"Pussyfooter" on a 12" would be nice - you still get a flavour of the break on the 45 but still...
      If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Originally posted by Sie Vulture View Post
        "Pussyfooter" on a 12" would be nice - you still get a flavour of the break on the 45 but still...
        Ive got the LP (which has the break on), and would love the 12" too.

Ive only 'Juice - Catch a groove' on 7", would love the 12" of that.

Comment

must have had most them tunes in my time, many you woudnt really want unless you was proper trainspotty, but sadly still holding out for the monkees mary mary on ep 45 thing. never had a honeydrippers either though used to see em many years ago before it was big dosh with hindsight....The last 20 years i must of sold /wholesaled more of these than any other record . In the usa in the early 9ts they were everywere in the 1$ bins, you could take the piss with your hand luggage back then. then they was repressed must of been mid to late 9ts, then the double packs come out. used to know all the cat numbers off by heart . so influential, the graf covers ,funky content,the fat ny pressings ,the underground appeal wow. 524 was always hard to get, tho it got repressed 4-6 years ago if i remember right? i got a big warm feeling in my belly now.
          'Swear I am evil when Ive had a few'

Comment

i say mid to late 9ts more like late 9ts- 2000 odd, jeez were do them decades go?
            'Swear I am evil when Ive had a few'

Comment

Ive got the LP (which has the break on), and would love the 12" too.
              There's something different about the LP version isn't there (break length)? Can't quite remember and my LP isn't handy but the 12" version is the version to have....which I obviously haven't got

Not sure how much I would have....would like to think 60/70%.
              "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

Please excuse my ignorance... but what are "the ultimates"?
                http://soundcloud.com/teaspoonsweden
                http://www.mixcloud.com/SebastianFSorrow/
                http://soundcloud.com/seb-f-sorrow

Comment

Originally posted by Bud Peyote View Post
                  Please excuse my ignorance... but what are "the ultimates"?
                  It's a set of 80's/90's comps of stuff that was sampled to death by hip hop of that era, it featured stuff like -

Dyke and the blazers - Let a woman be woman, and a man be a man
                  Kool and the gang - N.T.
                  The Winstons - Aman brothers
                  James Brown - Funky president

Etc....

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Ultim.../master/287321

Comment

Like an anal bastard I counted how many tracks I own. 107 out of 174 so not too bad but not great either.

I vividly remener hearing Amen Brother for the first time in a record shop circa 90-91. Blown away would be an understatement. I proceeded to buy all UBB's within a few months.
                    "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

Originally posted by Campag Record View Post
                      Like an anal bastard I counted how many tracks I own. 107 out of 174 so not too bad but not great either.
                      Don't worry Nige mate I did the same, and own a 127 of them!

Comment

I'd say I'd have about 50 % and 50% of that are doublers lol , impeach and pussy footer 12 are my most wanted then catch a groove on 12, still need another copy of IBB second lp which I can't remember if its on UBB's or not

Comment

Originally posted by soulful-illusion View Post
                          still need another copy of IBB second lp which I can't remember if its on UBB's or not
                          Yeah, 'Sing,sing,sing' is on there mate.

Comment

Don't worry Nige mate I did the same, and own a 127 of them!
                            You obviously need to post on The Breaks.com

(I'm just jealous)

Comment

Originally posted by Campag Record View Post
                              I own. 107 out of 174
                              I did the same, and own a 127 of them!
                              Gents a proper bit of old skool trainspotting - holmes and watson action... nothing beats it - why I still have a portable list of "wants aka need to finds"

I have to admit not catching on to these records - which financially speaking was propably a good thing - some great great music on the records

"It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

Comment

Working...
                              X