• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matt Hero
    Electric Banana
    • Apr 2002

Always ignore

The talk of Ms Mouskori reminded me to start this thread.

Every now and then someone mentions an artist who out of the blue has something worthy of a purchase in their otherwise bare back catalogue - even a single track - which diminishes my mental list of rubbish artists.

Acker Bilk, Peters & Lee, Demis Rousos etc....

So, who are the arists that, as far as you are aware, are a funk free zone ? Interesting to see whether anyone can come up with tracks from any suggested artists which refute claims posted.

My suggestions ?

Manuel & His Music Of The Mountains (*not* Geoff Love tracks)
    James Galway
    Richard Claderman

Right, bring on the Claderman funk
    Matt Hero
  • son of stan
    Lonely Jelly
    • Feb 2003

Good thread Matt but what are the criteria?

Are we talking strickly once hugely popular easy listening artists who have now fallen into semi-obscurity? Do we exclude the world of AOR rock music? What about classical? Or Male Voice Choirs??

I've just had a quick flick through the book of hit singles and it's quite surprising how many unlikely artists did tunes that would be of interest to at least some of us lot...

Tentatively though, I can't see there being any goodness from the following former mega-stars:

Russ Conway (unless he did a "...NOW!" Lp in about 1970 that I don't know about);
    The New Seekers (I suspect that I could be proved wrong on this one...);
    Jim Reeves (Tip of the stetson to our old friend, all LPs available in every single charity shop in the land);
    Billy Joel (He had ample opps to get funky over the course of his career but you just know he never did);
    Herman's Hermits (No lurking freakbeat b-sides there methinks..).

The list just goes on..but who knows? There's this barking Winifred Atwell 7" I've been after for years......
    Endless Tripe

Comment

• son of stan
      Lonely Jelly
      • Feb 2003

Oh yeah, I almost forgot the obvious one:

The Black and White Minstrels
      Endless Tripe

Comment

• Matt Hero
        Electric Banana
        • Apr 2002

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (son of stan @ Oct. 12 2004,21:40)]Good thread Matt but what are the criteria?

Are we talking strickly once hugely popular easy listening artists who have now fallen into semi-obscurity? Do we exclude the world of AOR rock music? What about classical? Or Male Voice Choirs??
        Yeah, good point.

I was thinking of the kind of artists that we see regularly in the racks.... which would encompass most of the genres you mention.

Can't believe I forgot Jim Reeves, or for that matter Bread. r The New Seekers (and yes, that does exclude Ivor Raymonde B Sides &#33
        Matt Hero

Comment

• TuckinFrat
          Animated Egg
          • Aug 2004

cliff richard is devoid of any funk
          www.budgetbeats.com

Comment

• Brother Logic
            Ugly Custard
            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (son of stan @ Oct. 12 2004,21:40)]Billy Joel (He had ample opps to get funky over the course of his career but you just know he never did);
            I hasten to say that Stiletto might exorcise the Joelster from this category. And though not in any way "funky" we used to put his "The Entertainer" on so much on the bowling jukebox that we got banned from using it. And hasn't Cliff done a version of Jesus that's meant to be okay?
            Errr..Hambone?

Comment

• son of stan
              Lonely Jelly
              • Feb 2003

Yep. Cliff is known to have hidden depths (and I ain't talking about Mile End Tube Station).
              Endless Tripe

Comment

• Lord Thames
                Lonely Jelly
                • Sep 2002

Cliff's 'The Girl Can't Help It' on the 'Tracks 'n' Grooves' LP is worth a listen - nice arrangement from Mike Leander.

Russ Conway did do an LP for Chapter One in about 1970 which may even have been called '....Now!', but I can't confirm whether it's any good or not.

Winifred Atwell supposedly did an excellent version of 'Spinning Wheel' on the Wheeltappers and Shunters Club, but whether it ever made it to vinyl, I don't know.

Comment

• mundayschild
                  Animated Egg
                  • Jun 2003

I've always liked 'Fancy dancer' by the otherwise terrible Bread, the track is a little rocky, funky and slightly risque and sounds a little like it's trying to be a bastard cousin of the Faces and Free with 240 volt electrodes attached to the songs nether regions. Well that's my theory anyway. I could reccomend a couple of New Seekers songs, but for some strange reason me minds gone blank....
                  derelicts of dialect

Comment

• Col Wolfe
                    Billy Ocean
                    • Sep 2003

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (son of stan @ Oct. 12 2004,21:40)]Herman's Hermits (No lurking freakbeat b-sides there methinks..).
                    'My Reservations Been Confirmed' is alright + 'Moonshine Man' is damned fine.
                    new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

• sermad
                      Chocolate Rain
                      • Apr 2003

the new seekers&#33;&#33; funk&#33;&#33; they can burn in hell before I buy one of their records for a bit of funk&#33;

how about mantiovani?

*edit. Ive now realised how you came about to nana mouskouri. The funny thing is that my dad is a massive fan of hers. He has all the tapes in the car and he forces me to listen to it when I get the odd lift. *never* heard anything remotely funky...

www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

• ladyboygrimsby
                        Lonely Jelly
                        • Aug 2002

Olivie Newton Jon? I&#39;ve bought four of her LPs over the years and they&#39;ve all been irredeemably crap, despite the (allegedly) vaunted Nick Ingman being involved in a few.
                        http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

• mundayschild
                          Animated Egg
                          • Jun 2003

The New seekers are sadly bereft of the funk.
                          &#39;Tis true.
                          derelicts of dialect

Comment

• sermad
                            Chocolate Rain
                            • Apr 2003

Bill - You need the &#39;toomorrow&#39; ost. It does have onj on it but its a funky masterpiece in places&#33; Especially &#39;Spaceport&#39;. Damn I need this&#33;
                            www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

• Mark the Res
                              Electric Prunes
                              • Oct 2004

Coming in late on this - but - parden my garden, did somebody actually say they felt that there were absolutely no good cuts at all on Demis &#39;The Living Kaftan&#39; Roussos - or did all four of my gingernut eyes play a dirty trick on me? Or wot?

Let the guilty step forward, m&#39;lud&#33;&#33;

Mark the Res
                              My three boyz...

Comment

Working...
                              X