Easter mix part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easter mix part 2

So still making my way through these excellent selections and I have a few more questions. Thanks to all those that shared the knowledge on the last lot. Again if people would rather keep quiet about their selection I understand:

Col Wolfe:

What sort of price do the following go for and do they turn up much?

Golden Pot - Take One

Papy's Haunted House - Dude

Mokka:

Need some info on the following, Lp's etc, availability, etc:

Francis Monkman - Superdude

Uni Sono - Chorea Urbana

Vesamatti Loiri (?) - Discoteca

Ostari Njengi - U-Bo-To

Cay karlsson - Korttilaulu

Kvartetten Karneval - O-A-Lee

Loved the selection btw.

Vinylism:

What are these from?

Segments of Time - Song to the System

Huvva - Bingsto Stanklat

Vibra:

What are these from?

Richard Torrence - Fire Child.

Gene Brooklyn - House of the Rising Sun

Virtues - Meditation of the Soul

Cheers Guys

Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (llmod1 @ Oct. 13 2004,21:58)]So still making my way through these excellent selections and I have a few more questions. Thanks to all those that shared the knowledge on the last lot. Again if people would rather keep quiet about their selection I understand:

Col Wolfe:

What sort of price do the following go for and do they turn up much?

Golden Pot - Take One

Papy's Haunted House - Dude
    Golden Pot's a bit tricky now as the mods have caught onto it - used to be able to pick it up off ebay for around $15/20 but latest popsike search shows this:
    POPSIKE GOLDEN POT

Papy's is on the Midas label - can go for silly money as it's touted as the missing piece to the BlackChains comp. Craig Moerer was shunting them out @ $60 but I think he's dried up now. Cal had a copy for trade earlier in the year.
    new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (llmod1 @ Oct. 13 2004,23:58)]Mokka:

Need some info on the following, Lp&#39;s etc, availability, etc:

Francis Monkman - Superdude

Uni Sono - Chorea Urbana

Vesamatti Loiri (?) - Discoteca

Ostari Njengi - U-Bo-To

Cay karlsson - Korttilaulu

Kvartetten Karneval - O-A-Lee

Loved the selection btw.
      I can help you with those Finnish stuff...

Uni Sono is Finnish jazz. It&#39;s pretty rare, but not impossible to find. It usually goes something round 60 euros here in Finland. It&#39;s produced by Paakkunainen &amp; Ahvenlahti and the players are Nono Soderberg (guitar),
      Paroni Paakkunainen (saxofones, flute and percussion), Olli Ahvenlahti (electric piano and synthetisizers), Pekka Pohjola (basso) and Reino Laine (drums).

Vesa-Matti Loiri song was actually Coming Home Baby from 4+20 album on Finnlevy. Also Finnish stuff from famous Finnish actor before the time he started to sing. Pretty rare record and dealers are asking way too much for it. I&#39;ve seen it in racks with 80-100 euros, but 50 euros would be the proper price. Vesa-Matti Loiri is a good friend of Olli Ahvenlahti and they have done loads of stuff together since early 70s. Loads of shit and few gems like Coming Home Baby.

Ostari Njengi is first 7&quot; of the Calypso Kings &amp; Soul Investigators. Really hard to find since it was private press sold mainly in Finland.

Cay Karlsson is something that I&#39;d like found too. Also Finnish stuff. So man could say it&#39;s pretty rare since I&#39;ve been trying to find it since May and haven&#39;t seen one yet

Comment

thanks amino&#33;

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] ]Loved the selection btw.
        Coming from you, the man with all the records in the world, that&#39;s a real compliment. I have trades of Vesa-matti and Uni Sono. PM me, if youre interested

Here&#39;s the rest:

Francis Monkman - Superdude is of a pretty standard bruton. don&#39;t know why I can&#39;t find it right now for the cat number. The name&#39;s &quot;light my fire&quot; and I think its yellow.

The Discoteca track is from an italian library called Tempo Di Naja, label Manhattan. A beautiful pink cover. Not super rare, I know plenty of cats who have it. seamus here has it as well, I think.

Kvartetten Karneval - O-A-Lee is from a danish 80&#39;s charity LP. Calle Karnevalen. Its got plenty of artist and this is the only good tune. Quite rare, or at least I&#39;ve never seen it anywhere else.
        er

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] ]Ostari Njengi is first 7&quot; of the Calypso Kings &amp; Soul Investigators. Really hard to find since it was private press sold mainly in Finland.
          This goes for plus 100 at the bay. crazy since its only some years old... I actualy think they&#39;ve made couple of sevens before (one on soul fire and one on something else, but this was first on Timmion).
          er

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (llmod1 @ Oct. 13 2004,21:58)]What are these from?

Their self titled album on Sussex.

Or you can get it on 45. Album version is better IMO as much longer in length. Hear it played out on Friday 22nd at the Big Chill Bar if you like.

Top tune, bargain bucket price.

Comment

The first calypso kings. what label is it on?
              www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] ]The first calypso kings. what label is it on?
                It&#39;s on Jive. Small hole 7&quot; on really heavy wax.
                records - one a week mixcloud
                records - one a week soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (llmod1 @ Oct. 13 2004,21:58)]Richard Torrence - Fire Child.

Gene Brooklyn - House of the Rising Sun

Virtues - Meditation of the Soul
                  ello Mark..

&#39;Firechild&#39; - From LP &#39;Eureka&#39; by Richard Torrance, 1974 on Shelter Records. With a couple of good funky rock tracks on there too, the album also features Monty Stark of Stark Reality fame on synth bass.

Gene Brooklyn &#39;House Of The Rising Sun&#39; - Taken from a French LP called &quot;Blues, Rock &amp; Soul&quot;. Can&#39;t remember the label right now though, so I&#39;ll have to come back to you on that. Seems to be shit rare. So you&#39;ll probably turn up a copy tomorrow for 20 pence.

Virtues &#39;Meditation Of The Soul&#39; - A-side of 45 on Andee label. Decent disco-funk flip &#39;Doin&#39; It&#39; to boot.
                  Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] ]It&#39;s on Jive. Small hole 7&quot; on really heavy wax.
                    that&#39;s the one. i was stupid enough to give mine to keb darge. you read correct, i _gave_ it to the guy who has more sevens than i could dream of. and better. i thought that its good pr for the finnish band.
                    er

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] ]that&#39;s the one. i was stupid enough to give mine to keb darge. you read correct, i _gave_ it to the guy who has more sevens than i could dream of. and better. i thought that its good pr for the finnish band.

They cut another Jive 7&quot;. The hole was bigger and the sound was more raw in a garage (60s) style.

I think their third release was on SoulFire.
                      records - one a week mixcloud
                      records - one a week soundcloud

Comment

Guys, thanks for all the help. I&#39;ll get around to pestering all you other guys later&#33;&#33;

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (llmod1 @ Oct. 13 2004,21:58)]Vinylism:

What are these from?

Huvva - Bingsto Stanklat
                          hello mate

segments of time is a US soul LP on the sussex label from about 73. nice album, but &quot;song to the system&quot; is the standout due to the unusual arrangement. not that rare, so far as i know - i found it for cheaps, anyway.

huvva - can&#39;t tell you too much, other than that it&#39;s swedish, and is on phillips and appears to be a folk / cultural heritage type thing. i charted it a while back. no idea as regards worth / scarcity as a jolly nice swedish guy gave it to me for free.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (mokka @ Oct. 14 2004,09:09)]Francis Monkman - Superdude is of a pretty standard bruton. don&#39;t know why I can&#39;t find it right now for the cat number. The name&#39;s &quot;light my fire&quot; and I think its yellow.
                            BRH5 - still after a cheap copy (or a CDr/Minidisc, if anyone feels generous&#33

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (vinylism @ Oct. 16 2004,16:16)]
                              Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (llmod1 @ Oct. 13 2004,21:58)]Vinylism:

What are these from?

Huvva - Bingsto Stanklat
                              hello mate

segments of time is a US soul LP on the sussex label from about 73. nice album, but &quot;song to the system&quot; is the standout due to the unusual arrangement.  not that rare, so far as i know - i found it for cheaps, anyway.

huvva - can&#39;t tell you too much, other than that it&#39;s swedish, and is on phillips and appears to be a folk / cultural heritage type thing.  i charted it a while back.  no idea as regards worth / scarcity as a jolly nice swedish guy gave it to me for free.
                              I think the &quot;Huuva&quot; you&#39;re talking about is actually the LP title and the artist Merit Hemmingson.

http://board.soulstrut.com/ubbthre....t204742

Also, here&#39;s a review of the Segments Of Time LP:

SEGMENTS OF TIME
                              Segments Of Time (Sussex 72)
                              This was a completely random pick up at a record show. A quick listen on the portable caught my interest and I took it home with me. As far as I can tell the Segments Of Time was a vocal Soul group from the Midwest since they recorded this album in Detroit. That Motown influence, specifically the Temptations, can be heard throughout the album with the groupÂ’s arrangements and the falsetto lead singer. Most of the album comes in two forms, upbeat Soul tunes like Memories and slower ones like Will You Be Mine and When That Day Comes. The best are Song To The System and Will Of The People that have a much harder edge than the rest of the album fueled by some sharp toned guitar playing. The latter gets better as it progresses with a conga and vocal breakdown and a long instrumental segment towards the end. Not bad for a group that tries so hard to be a Motown group.
                              http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...k-LP%20Covers/

Comment

Working...
                              X