Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• East meets west (and other regions)

Hello Vultures,

I have been searcghing for many years those weird and elsuive lp's which include "traditional" folk instruments mixed with either jazz or rock groups.

Currently I have the following

Raga Rock - The Folkswingers (sitar)

Great International Hits - Balsara and his Singing Sitars

Sitar Beat - Big Jim Sullivan

Rock Encounter - Sabicas with Joe Beck (flamenco)

Pop Goes the Zither (can't remember who is on this one)

Also have a 60's ep for an aussie kids show called "Skippy, the Bush Kangaroo" which features a groovy instrumental with digeridoo(!&#33

I have heard about the John Berberian lp called Middle Eastern Rock featuring the oud which I have not got (but would love to get a copy).

I am looking for similar stuff which features instruments such as Bouzouki; Balalaika; Accordion; koto; etc etc etc.
    Can anyone recommend any other lp's?

Cheers,
    David Soundsville
    God bless Fatso.

Eric Jupp did the skippy theme didn't he ?

In terms of your question, I believe there is a yothu yindi 12" which features the didge, and there is some strange instrumentation on the various versions of John Sangsters 'kaffir song/theme' - this tune is on one of the Eric Jupp Lp's and also the Don Burrows live in Montreaux album

Comment

john berberian
      bill plummer
      phill woods

Comment

couple of earlier threads on this you can search for - one titled 'Eastern Mysticism' and the other about the Indo Jazzmen. both have several pages of recommendations (you may have already seen them or posted on them of course&#33

Comment

Middle Eastern Rock is one of the most incredible records I have. Seriously rate it. Can be expensive on ebay so dig around for it.

I think there was a record by Joe Harriet called 'Hum Dono' which was nice indo-jazz. I think anyway.

www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

also look out for &quot;jazz meets world&quot; on saba

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (pokester @ Oct. 14 2004,10:41)]also look out for &quot;jazz meets world&quot; on saba
              i know about Jazz Meets India and Jazz Meets Indonesia LPs on Saba - is that a comp from those LPs?

any other countries that Mr Jazz met?

Comment

Yves Hyatt - Converstaions between East and West

Also does the Dave Pike / Volker Kriegal stuff count?
                "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (LDJB @ Oct. 14 2004,11:24)]Also does the Dave Pike / Volker Kriegal stuff count?
                  Reckon so&#33;

And I&#39;d add my fave recent purchase Shocking Blue &#39;At Home&#39; (cover of &#39;Acka Raga&#39;, &#39;Love Buzz&#39;, &#39;The Butterfly And I&#39. Plus Gabor Szabo&#39;s &#39;Jazz Raga&#39;, and Bob Thiele&#39;s &#39;Light My Fire&#39;.
                  You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

got Gabor Szabo &#39;Bacchanal&#39; at the weekend - very nice, even tho track listing looks quite dodgy at first glance.

also:
                    Orient Express - s/t
                    Ahmed Abdul-Malik - there&#39;s at least 3 middle-eastern/african LPs
                    Herbie Mann - Impressions of the Middle East + Whirling Dervishes, both very nice
                    Yusuf Lateef - Eastern Sounds

there&#39;s plenty of African-influenced jazz tracks - the 2 Blue Note &#39;Afro Blue&#39; CDs have some great stuff on for starters. and quite a few Blue Note albums around 1970 by McCoy Tyner and so on.

and you can;t forget Alice Coltrane, Pharoah Sanders, etc on Impulse...

Comment

And you could always add Rufus Harley if you were daring enough to class the bagpipes as an ethnic instrument?&#33;

Lee would probably be able to point you in the direction of more sonic collisions with the caterwauling cacophony in a tartan sack.
                      Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Thanks for all the recommendations, fellas.
                        I remember reading on a list somewhere that one of the Impulse records had the russian instrument called the balalaika on it, but can&#39;t remember which lp it is.

Phil Woods &quot;Greek Cooking&quot; is one of my fave lp&#39;s&#33;&#33;

Cheers,
                        David
                        God bless Fatso.

Comment

anyone know what the Neil Ardley &#39;Greek Variations&#39; (?) is like?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (soundsville @ Oct. 14 2004,14:42)]Phil Woods &quot;Greek Cooking&quot; is one of my fave lp&#39;s&#33;&#33;
                            yes nice lp &#33;

Comment

les mogols is also nice

Comment

Working...
                              X