Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusal sub-collections

Alright...

We're always trying to find new way to talk about our record collections... here's one I haven't seen before:

Are there any categories of LP/single that you'll buy for reasons other than the music?

For example, I've developed sub-collections of "embarassing celebrity" LPs (John Travolta, "Return of Bruno", Scott Baio etc).

Also bad rap cash-ins (Wham Rap, Mel Brookes' Hitler Rap, etc).

Plus some cheesecake cover art, and, just to balance things out, some cover art feature extraordinarily dorky looking men.

So does anyone else find themselves in thrall to the urge even when you can't find any decent music?

Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (formigo @ Oct. 15 2004,07:10)]So does anyone else find themselves in thrall to the urge even when you can't find any decent music?
    No, not at all.

There's too much great music out there, to worry about cluttering up the collection with tat.

Comment

I buy stand-up comedy records ....

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (formigo @ Oct. 15 2004,07:10)]Alright...

We're always trying to find new way to talk about our record collections... here's one I haven't seen before:

Are there any categories of LP/single that you'll buy for reasons other than the music?

For example, I've developed sub-collections of "embarassing celebrity" LPs (John Travolta, "Return of Bruno", Scott Baio etc).

Also bad rap cash-ins (Wham Rap, Mel Brookes' Hitler Rap, etc).

Plus some cheesecake cover art, and, just to balance things out, some cover art feature extraordinarily dorky looking men.

So does anyone else find themselves in thrall to the urge even when you can't find any decent music?
        To Be Or Not To Be b Mel Brooks is really good. As is Boogie In Your Butt by Eddie Murphy.

I collect shit record sleeves, especially if they have a Grimsby connection.
        http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Yeah. A small collection of worthless rock records picked up at various times in the mistaken belief that they are collectable.
          Endless Tripe

Comment

I buy records for their covers from time to time. I like them as pieces of art.
            www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

I look out for any celeb lp&#39;s or spoken word religous records.
              Celeb lp collection so far......

Telly Savalas (two lps)
              Mae West (two lps)
              Charles Boyer
              Keith Carradine
              Elke Sommer
              Boris Karloff
              Jerry Lewis
              Tony Randall
              Walter Brennan
              Sally Field
              Divine
              Lawrence Harvey
              Marilyn Monroe

and aussie celebs
              Ugly Dave Gray (comic) two lps
              Bernard King (chef)
              Sons and Daughters/Counry Practice (tv soap artists from the 80&#39;s)
              Barry Humphries

also any oddball spoken word stuff

Painless Childbirth
              The Sensuous Woman by &quot;J&quot; (sex ed)
              The Pleasures of Love (sex ed)
              The Perfumed Garden (aussie adults spoken word)
              The Stethoscopic heart Record (lp feat. human heart sounds with abnormal defects)
              Numerous zodiac lp&#39;s and singles.

Plus heaps more which I can&#39;t remember at the moment.

David S
              God bless Fatso.

Comment

golf records anyone ?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (pokester @ Oct. 15 2004,11:45)]golf records anyone ?
                  I have a feeling I&#39;ve seen an album called &#39;Swing with Tony Jacklin&#39;, on which the V-necked one tackles the black-tie standards. . .
                  The Pop Music Library

Comment

cabaret band records. some of them are very good and the cover art is almost always hilarious.
                    http://www.blaxploitation.com
                    Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (Tommo of Sprowston @ Oct. 15 2004,12:39)]
                      Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (pokester @ Oct. 15 2004,11:45)]golf records anyone ?
                      I have a feeling I&#39;ve seen an album called &#39;Swing with Tony Jacklin&#39;, on which the V-necked one tackles the black-tie standards. . .
                      And arranged by a Mr Keith Mansfield, if I&#39;m not mistaken..
                      Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

Actually some of Telly Savalas&#39; LPs have some good moments on them, mainly down to the presence of John Cacavas in the arranger&#39;s chair.

I&#39;m on a mission to get a complete run of Edward Woodward LPs, but I genuinely like them, so I&#39;m not sure whether they count in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ Oct. 15 2004,14:03)]I&#39;m on a mission to get a complete run of Edward Woodward LPs, but I genuinely like them, so I&#39;m not sure whether they count in this thread.
                          I saw one of these in a charity today, though I left it there. And there the tale ends, as I can&#39;t remember anything else about it.
                          Don't call it a comeback... H, N, and the number 7.
                          Ok, it's a bit of a comeback, I suppose...

Comment

Top Of The Pops albums. I&#39;ll get me coat...
                            Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ Oct. 15 2004,14:03)]Actually some of Telly Savalas&#39; LPs have some good moments on them, mainly down to the presence of John Cacavas in the arranger&#39;s chair.

I&#39;m on a mission to get a complete run of Edward Woodward LPs, but I genuinely like them, so I&#39;m not sure whether they count in this thread.
                              do you need &#39;the edward woodward album&#39; on Jam? lemme know if so.
                              http://www.blaxploitation.com
                              Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Working...
                              X