Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viva Chiba
    replied
    Just off Friar Street down a small side Alley which is kinda in the direction of the railway station.

It's a pretty decent store, but I wouldn't say his prices were exactly "competitive". . .

Leave a comment:

• Xavier_Blake
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (left hand corner @ Oct. 19 2004,10:04)]
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Is he the man who runs that record shop in the Reading Collectors Centre? I had a long chat with him a couple of months back - ruddy nice bloke! Even bought some stuff off him........
    Lord Thames,

If its a record shop combined with a toy shop then its the same person. Jim is a top bloke, a collector since the 50s, and, currently, the hardest working DJ in Reading where he runs his jazz night 'The Trip', DJs at Mr Smiler's mod night 'RUDE', and the VV friendly 'The Program'.
    Whereabouts in Reading is the Collectors Centre? I seem to remember visiting one in the town centre a couple of years ago when I first moved to Bracknell, but I don't think it's there anymore.

Leave a comment:

• Viva Chiba
    replied
    Recall seeing a NM/NM original Deep Throat (the promo one from the cinema release) on the 'Bay for buy it now at $100. . .

Remember being at the flea market at Toronto and pointing out to another dealer what I think was an original Beatles - Yellow Submarine UK mono. . .whoops !

Leave a comment:

• TuckinFrat
    replied
    missed out on a sealed buy it now esther williams LP on ebay for $50 theyd only post in america though, rang my mate in boston to see if it was cool to send it there ,2 mins later it was gone

Leave a comment:

• Si Cheeba
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (mik @ Oct. 19 2004,15:44)]
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Oh, yeh and I remember your KPM story:-

GAV- "Oi MIke I've heard there's some KPMs in Vinyl Exchange"
    MIK -  "Oh yeh Gav we'll both go down in a couple of days to have a look at them"

...meanwhile Mik gets in his car and drives across Snake Pass to Manchester the same day....

Priceless - you naughty young scamp!
    that's not quite how it was mate. I found them anyway and bought the first batch. I went a few days later with Gav and they had none left. The nice big guy in there - Simon? used to work at Decoy - told me they'd be putting the next lot out in a few days so I arranged with Gav to go back on the Saturday.
    I went on the Friday & cleaned it out then told Gav I couldn't make it on the Saturday and let him go anyway! He got fuck all  Bit naughty, but I found the fuckers first and I let him have a spare Speed & Excitement. dont fucking tell him though!
    Yeh Big Si G - top fella, he's still working there. His missus manages the vintage clothing/pop boutique bit where voxpops is. Got some nice vintage Lacoste jackets from there!

That KPM is still a good story though...! I hadn't realise Gav never found out...didn't he ask about them when you suddenly started dropping all the Hawkshaw/Cameron/Bennet cuts at your Shaken do ???

Leave a comment:

• mik
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Oh, yeh and I remember your KPM story:-

MIK - "Oh yeh Gav we'll both go down in a couple of days to have a look at them"

...meanwhile Mik gets in his car and drives across Snake Pass to Manchester the same day....

that's not quite how it was mate. I found them anyway and bought the first batch. I went a few days later with Gav and they had none left. The nice big guy in there - Simon? used to work at Decoy - told me they'd be putting the next lot out in a few days so I arranged with Gav to go back on the Saturday.
    I went on the Friday & cleaned it out then told Gav I couldn't make it on the Saturday and let him go anyway! He got fuck all Bit naughty, but I found the fuckers first and I let him have a spare Speed & Excitement. dont fucking tell him though!

Leave a comment:

• TuckinFrat
    replied
    too many ,a record will be sat on me site for 2 years and then ill get 10 calls in a week for it and itll be begrudgenling sent out the door for £15 or summit..like
    oc talbert..rolyak 45
    i sold big daddy roger for £40
    soul bros inc pyramid for £90
    executive 4 good thing goin for £100 4 known copies £500+now
    that mike harper retreat 45 seems to have gone a bit mad now i aint got any

name of the game i guess

Leave a comment:

• sermad
    replied
    That is a wicked story though john.

Leave a comment:

• john stapleton
    replied
    earl english and the apaches

Leave a comment:

• Si Cheeba
    replied
    double

I let a copy of the BLACK EXOTICS 45 go in a some trades a couple of years ago - didn't get a massive amount for it - more recently it's become apparent that it was a particularly rare nugget and is now BIG ££££s.

I believe its found its way a short distance and is now nestling in the collection of a a certain Mantis

Mind you I only paid a fiver for it in't first place so I got 15 times my money back - but it could have been more...my greedy side would remind me...

Leave a comment:

• Si Cheeba
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (mik @ Oct. 18 2004,18:54)]IAbout 11 years ago in that big round thing in Manchester which was amazing for records I looked at a a version of 'mony mony' and thought, Oh no I don't want a bloody version of that. It was the Mohawks

But if anyone ever wondered who got all the big UK Kpms & Chappells out of Vinyl Exchange all them years ago - that was meeee Big Beat 2? £15? Oh go on then. Oh look there's another 2.      sorry had to do that - felt a right MUG!

THE CORN EXCHANGE !

now a refitted plush designer shop type thing called "TRIANGLE MALL" or something

....And then my mate and partner in the Cheeba Cheeba nights - Dougie must have come in and picked up that Mohawks 45 - just cos he collected PAMA - without realising the B-Side until I told him to flip it over

Oh, yeh and I remember your KPM story:-

MIK - "Oh yeh Gav we'll both go down in a couple of days to have a look at them"

Leave a comment:

• left hand corner
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Is he the man who runs that record shop in the Reading Collectors Centre? I had a long chat with him a couple of months back - ruddy nice bloke! Even bought some stuff off him........
    Lord Thames,

If its a record shop combined with a toy shop then its the same person. Jim is a top bloke, a collector since the 50s, and, currently, the hardest working DJ in Reading where he runs his jazz night 'The Trip', DJs at Mr Smiler's mod night 'RUDE', and the VV friendly 'The Program'.

Leave a comment:

• Hooded Claw
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (green man @ Oct. 18 2004,22:48)]Ahem, I'll excuse the pun.    You didn't miss anything that great actually, a few nice 45s but nothing very rare...
    i'll grab that miami 45 next time i see you then

Leave a comment:

• BoneyVotel
    replied
    Big Al & The Star Trecks - Funky Funk 45 (bugger, let it go cheap)

Let my 1st 100% pure poison go for cheap & Gentle Rain too.

Once swopped Dearie Wilson Tabac LP for John Klemmer Blowing Gold LP, which was nice.

live & learn eh!

Leave a comment:

• Dean R
    replied
    So there we were one day in the acid jazz office at 21 Denmark Street London WC2. Another day of inflicting the Brand New Heavies and Jamiroquai on the world, and it was getting late. For some reason this left us wondering what the fire exit stairs might look like, so we opened the fire exit and ran into box upon box of records. In fact multiple copies (that's multiple 25 count boxes) of virtually every KPM record, going up the stairs almost to infinity (21 Denmark St is the address you will see on the back of these records). In fact too many to take in properly, so we grabbed a bunch and started to go through them.It was before anyone really collected these things (91?), The Big Beat's were all present and correct, and we started ripping a few of the tunes off, always saying that we really must make sure we take copies of these records home for ourselves.
    So on the day that us lazy bastards finally get round to sorting it out, we open the doors and go to get the records we find an empty, swept stair case. The record have gone.
    Years later our merchandising guy, who worked a couple of floors above us told me he had seen the records piled in a big skip outside by the owner of the building

Leave a comment:

Working...
X