Pancho gonzalez

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pancho gonzalez

Picked up a Page One LP the other day, 'Happy Juanita' from 1969, credited to Pancho Gonzalez, bit of bog-standard Tijuana stuff, but nice covers of 'If I Were A Carpenter', 'Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds', 'Run For your Life', 'Music To Watch Girls By', 'Light My Fire' etc - anyone know who this was? Sleevenotes say the tracks were "all recorded in London", and the label and one of the credits goes to Larry Page. Interesting, because it's very similar in feel sometimes to the Chico Lopez 'Fiesta' LP on Windmill...
    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

I've got this too. I'd always assumed it was a Larry Page thing, due to the credit and being on his label and all. The drummer certainly pounds those skins on 'Never My Love' too.

I have a sneaking suspicion that perhaps we may discover more from that erudite Lord Thames character?
    Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

I strongly suspect that the Pancho Gonzalez name comes from a very legendary match that took place at Wimbledon that summer between Charlie Pasarell and - yes - Pancho Gonzalez. It broke the record for the longest match (a record that won't be beaten, given that they've altered the rules) and lasted over five hours: 22-24, 1-6, 16-14, 6-3, 11-9. I remember watching it.
      http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (vibra @ Oct. 18 2004,16:31)]I have a sneaking suspicion that perhaps we may discover more from that erudite Lord Thames character?
        That'll be me then!

Pancho Gonzales is actually Des Champ, and he did two LPs for Page One - 'Mexican A-Banda' and 'Mexican A-Games Go' (a cash-in on the Mexico 68 Olympics), and I reckon Wayne's LP is a compilation of the two.

'Mexican a-games-go' was also reissued on DJM Silverline. The Page One version very helpfully states it was recorded in Pye Studio 1 on the 10th and 12th of June 1968!

I don't actually have 'Mexican A-Banda', annoyingly, but if it's as good as the other one, I need it!

Comment

Very probably a comp - has the word 'sampler' printed big across the back sleeve (though is also, I think, a sample/white label copy) and both those other LPs you mention advertised & pictured there, too... Des Champ, eh? Thought it sounded like it had to be one of our usual suspects!

Intriguing that they chose the tennis player's name for tracks made as Olympic cash-ins, though...is tennis an Olympic sport even?? Still, who said cash-ins had to be consistent?
          a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Working...
          X