Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classical covers

Hey guys,
    I just got roped into this 'Nations Spelling Test' thing on TV tonight.During an interlude I heard a tune in the background that I thought was 'Beethovens 5th street symphony' off Electro 4 but further listening made me think it must have been the tune they based that on,kinda funky disco version.Be interested in finding out what it is and maybe picking a copy up.Heard it b4 so musta been popular.
    Wonder what other classical tunes have been given the funk treatment over the years.Any ideas?
    Work on a dream.....and get it done!

would that be a 5th of beethoven from the satardaynight fever soundtrack?
    www.myspace.com/thecromagnonband

http://www.wolfpeople.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] ]Wonder what other classical tunes have been given the funk treatment over the years.Any ideas?
      Check the article on the main site in the features section 'Classical Gas' for a few.
      "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

It will probably be A Fifth Of Beethoven by Walter Murphy, as sampled by Thicke on When I Get You Alone.

Incidentally this would make a good thread: rock/pop music based on classical scores....

All By Myself by Eric Carmen is from a Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto
        John Denver's Annie's Song is from Tchaikowsky's First Symphony
        Procol Harum's Whiter Shade of Pale is from Bach's Air On A G String

Etc.
        http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

I think 'Jane B' by Serge & Jane B is Bagatelle by bach?
          And the most obvious one is 2001 - hundreds of versions

Comment

There's that rather funky track by John Denver, "From the Top" which is based on Bach, from the Bridges LP (cheers to Rich for pointing this one out).

Comment

that's John Williams!

and d'oh! to 2001...

also stuff like B Bumble and the Stingers - 'Nut Rocker', ELO do a heavy 'In the Hall of the Mountain King' and probably one or two other things if i could remember them.

i seem to think the Mindbenders 'Groovy Kind of Love' was based on something classical, but Google is being no help

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (bongolia @ Oct. 21 2004,11:21)]that's John Williams!
                Massive    !

I've been spending way too much time in charity shops...

Comment

Iron Butterfly 'Inna Gadda Da Vida'
                  Giorgio 'Tears'...

...from Bach's 'Toccata And Fugue In D Minor'

(And obviously Egg's 'Fugue In D Minor&#39.
                  You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Lalo Schifrin did one > Towering Toccata (based on D Minor Toccata & Fugue for Organ)
                    Official Old School UK Hip Hop T-Shirts available at www.stylewarrior.co.uk

Comment

Divides opinion, I know, but I quite like Deodato's take on Gershwin's 'Rhapsody In Blue' from Deodato 2.

The New Worlds LP 'Trumpet A Go Go' has lots of Classical tunes, rearranged for drums, trumpet and maniac caterwauling/scatting...all barely recognisable as the classical tunes by the time they've done with them, though, so not sure it really counts.

As for Gainsbourg, loads of his tunes were lifted from classical sources - enough for there to have been a comp CD of his sources, anyway (which I've not heard, but was always a copy lurking in his section at Tower in Picadilly...).

I'm pretty sure someone played me some funky/disco takes on Vivaldi once as well, but god knows where that came from...
                      a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (wayne @ Oct. 21 2004,17:30)]I'm pretty sure someone played me some funky/disco takes on Vivaldi once as well, but god knows where that came from...
                        I think that's Percy Faith

Comment

Thanks for the gen on the Beethoven tune guys.Would the Saturday night fever version and the Walter Murphy be one and the same?I mean,I haven't actually got to buy the SNF soundtrack!!?!
                          Been racking my brains about an old tune I heard years ago on National Fresh circa 87ish.Well known classical piece recreated with sampled bells in a post electro instrumental kinda style.Can't think what the piece is but remember it well 'cos it was the same week I first heard the abomination that was Mike Rons' 'Eastenders Rap'.
                          Work on a dream.....and get it done!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (ffatlac3 @ Oct. 20 2004,21:42)]Would the Saturday night fever version and the Walter Murphy be one and the same?I mean,I haven't actually got to buy the SNF soundtrack!!?!
                            Same track, but may be different edits/mixes around - I only have the SNF OST version, so couldn't say. Mind you, the SNF soundtrack's well worth getting - classic tunes all over it! Go on, you know it'd be 50p well spent really...
                            a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

yuk, that nasty Ten years After version of sabre dance and all that ELP poo means that classical pop gets into room 101 if you ask me.
                              p.s. i don't think Gershwin counts as classical!

Comment

Working...
                              X