Julie felix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Julie felix?

For some reason, I've been finding loads of Julie Felix albums around the place recently. Anything of hers you'd recommend? I've seen an album called 'Going To The Zoo' that looks interesting...

Is she all singer-songwriter type or what? I do have a thing for that kind of stuff but was wondering if it ever got a little more groovy...
    http://jimcassius.blogspot.com

Well try "The World Of Julie Felix vol 2" (Decca) for a beaty sixtie groove thing called "Try For The Sun" - it gets my audience lovingit at Bootfair club

Comment

John Stapleton played a Julie Felix track at the last Bristol Brillo, he dosen't list which album it came from though on the Charts page. It went down very well. I think it was a later album.

At first I bought records, then I started to collect records; now I merely accumulate records.

Comment

Clotho's Web is a nice LP, with the title cut available on 45 and known to be played out occasionally, and I have two she did with arrangements by John Cameron that are nice - 'Flowers' and 'The World Goes Round And Round'. I gather one called 'Lightning' from 1974 has been mentioned hereabouts (by John Stapleton, I believe) with approval recently as well, but yet to find it myself. 'Going To The Zoo' is pretty standard mid-60s folk to my ears, nothing special but not dreadful either if you like that kind of thing, just rather bland. Not a good one to judge her best output from but it's a common 50p find so you've nothing to lose giving it a go.
        a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Originally posted by wayne View Post
          Clotho's Web is a nice LP, with the title cut available on 45 and known to be played out occasionally
          Indeed. And 'Snakeskin' off of that LP is mighty fine as well.
          Oft touted round these parts, I believe.
          To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

The second album (that's not me being forgetful, its actually called "the second album") has a nice track called "space girl" on it. Nice bit of double bass with Julie wittering on about aliens and ray guns. Worth 50p of anyone's money..
            Now celebrating over 1000 posts of nonsense.....
            www.facebook.com/mindtrekers
            www.soundcloud.com/mr-munch

Comment

Originally posted by piglit'n'rolf View Post
              John Stapleton played a Julie Felix track at the last Bristol Brillo, he dosen't list which album it came from though on the Charts page. It went down very well. I think it was a later album.
              That was the Lightning LP. I liked it. Cheapie too from what John said.

Comment

I'd never really heard of her until the VV Xmas swap. Really liked Snakeskin & Mexico, so all tips appreciated!

Comment

I like 'Who Will Buy' of one of her albums, maybe the Zoo one.
                  https://soundcloud.com/basicbasic

Comment

I have an lp at home with a track called (possibly) 'Mad John'. It's a great beaty hammond type track about a kid who escaped from borstal and went to Torquay.
                    Can't remember the lp title, though the front cover has Julie looking wistfully at branches in a wood, while the back cover has her twanging & singing away on a beach.

Thinks it's from 69 or 70.

Very nice track.

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio Paradise View Post
                      I like 'Who Will Buy' of one of her albums, maybe the Zoo one.
                      That's the best track off that lp alright.
                      Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Working...
                      X