Speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speakers

Ok, just picked up a pair of Technics speakers at a local charity for £5 and not being very technically minded Ihave a few questions for you guys.

The Speakers have the same specs on the back as my old ones:

Input 120 w

Music 60w din

However the new ones are physically bigger in size than my older ones. They sound to my ears louder and clearer. Can this be possible if they have the same output. In other words are they louder because they're bigger??

Secondly, I'd like to hook up all four of my speakers to my amp, however, there is only space at the back to conect one pair. Is there anything I can do or do I have to buy a new amp? Sorry if these are obvious questions???

Why do you want four speakers in there mate? Do you want to run two sets in different rooms?

Its not the best way but just wire in the other set into the same outputs as the current set. It should work.

I know you take your vinyl seriously so I would really recommend spending a fair whack on a decent set of separates. You'll never change it and it'll work so much better.
    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

A speaker&#39;s cabinet can have a huge effect on the quality of its sound.

Just to hijack the thread a little, I&#39;m gonna have to purchase some cheap speakers soon, probably some end of line models from Richer Sounds for max cheapness (tightwad that I am) Can anyone recc any models they&#39;re likely to be flogging off?
      http://wakeupanddie.com
      http://weirdgearnyc.com
      http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Cheers Serms. I want to put a pair of speakers into another room. I do have seperates but they&#39;re not great and I&#39;ve had them yonks (got them as a 21st birthday pressie&#33;&#33 suppose its time to upgrade&#33;

If I put the other speakers into the same output as the other set will this reduce the volume and sound quality all around?

Also what about the size thing? Are my new speakers louder and learer just because they&#39;re bigger???

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (sermad @ Oct. 25 2004,11:26)]Its not the best way but just wire in the other set into the same outputs as the current set. It should work.
          under no circumstances should you do this&#33; you could end up with a damaged amp and/or speakers due to all sorts of impedence &amp; power problems. if you do this, the volume will definitely decrease, then you&#39;ll crank the amp up because it&#39;s working twice (or more) as hard, then the fun will begin. don&#39;t go there&#33;

the solution is to get a switch from a hifi shop that will allow you to take the output from your speaker terminals and split them into two - it keeps the power load even.

the switch boxes don&#39;t have to be particularly expensive, either - a simple one from maplin would do the job, although there are better (and more expensive) models which would do the same thing.

some speakers sound louder for all sorts of reasons - size (it does actually matter in some cases), impedence, power rating, design (ported or not) and loads of other factors.

Comment

Nowadays, size hardly matters any more, drivers and amps a way more powerful these days.
            http://wakeupanddie.com
            http://weirdgearnyc.com
            http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (wooly @ Oct. 25 2004,11:34)]the solution is to get a switch from a hifi shop that will allow you to take the output from your speaker terminals and split them into two - it keeps the power load even.

the switch boxes don&#39;t have to be particularly expensive, either - a simple one from maplin would do the job, although there are better (and more expensive) models which would do the same thing.
              Seconded. It will also allow you to switch the speakers on or off in either room, rather than them being on in both all the time.
              You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

What Hi-Fi&#39;s? website is also a pretty handy reference for these matters...

Clickety-click...

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Thanks guys for all the rapid responses&#33;&#33; Are all of you on holiday as well like me??

This switch that I need to get, in the back of my amp there are only holes into which you push the bare spaker wire, it then clamps it into place. Will a switch work with this system?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (llmod1 @ Oct. 25 2004,11:42)]This switch that I need to get, in the back of my amp there are only holes into which you push the bare spaker wire, it then clamps it into place. Will a switch work with this system?
                    that&#39;s exactly how they work, mark. you hook them up via those terminals regardless of what the connectors look like on the amp.

Comment

Well I did say it wasn&#39;t the best way...

Amps have load kills which cut out before the amp blows. Try running your amp ultra loud and watch it cut out when the music gets too heavy.

Nearly every modern amp can run two sets at once but they are on separate posts.

I would seriously recommend not buying any records for a few months and splashing out on an amazing hi fi. The difference is staggering and you won&#39;t change it in 10 years. Well worth the investment.

Comment

Also forgot to mention that the same charity had a huge Technics keyboard. Not really my thing but if anyone was really interested I could probably pick it up for you.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (sermad @ Oct. 25 2004,11:52)]I would seriously recommend not buying any records for a few months...

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (sermad @ Oct. 25 2004,11:52)]Well I did say it wasn&#39;t the best way...

Amps have load kills which cut out before the amp blows. Try running your amp ultra loud and watch it cut out when the music gets too heavy.
                              wasn&#39;t having a go, serms btw&#33; just don&#39;t want people blowing up their hifi.

my amp doesn&#39;t have a cut-out on it, it&#39;s very old and valve-based. but hey, it works for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X