Lonnie liston smith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lonnie liston smith

He's playing here in Dublin tomorrow and I'm wondering will it be Expansions type cosmic funk or dull old tosh. Anyone seen or heard of his recent gigs?

Ta.
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Last time I saw him playing was at a Ritz All-Dayer in Manchester in 78-79
    He had on the silver cape and played stuff like Expansions, Song For The Children & Space Princess.
    Would have no idea what he's like nowadays, but he was smokin back then.
    Mark GV Taylor

https://www.facebook.com/referencepointlondon

Comment

Playing Jazz Cafe this weekend I think.Sure they wouldn't let him thru the door if he was going to churn out pish.Safe bet methinks!
      Work on a dream.....and get it done!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (ffatlac3 @ Oct. 26 2004,18:30)]Playing Jazz Cafe this weekend I think.Sure they wouldn't let him thru the door if he was going to churn out pish.Safe bet methinks!
        Fair enough. The venue he's playing in Dublin would happily put on a bucket of sick if they reckoned people would pay for it and crucially then fuck off at 10.30 so they can let the night club punters in. Actually usually they let them in before the gig has even ended so as the gig reaches its climax the palce suddenyl fills up with trendy wankers saying "whats this shit? When Will it end so our disco an start"

Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (emperor tomato ketchup @ Oct. 26 2004,18:42)]trendy wankers saying "whats this shit? When Will it end so our disco an start"
          who're you calling trendy wankers, huh?
          We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

The geezers with fin hairstyles and pink diamond patterned jumpers.

John Peel

Comment

I was strollin' down to RAT RECORDS in Camberwell today (cheap and vey diggable, go and have a look). I saw the poster for the Jazz Cafe gig, and they'd used an image of him from the Expansions LP. .. and underneath they'd even typed "Expansions". Which leads me to presume that he probably will be mining the funk. . .

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (Viva Chiba @ Oct. 26 2004,19:18)]I was strollin' down to RAT RECORDS in Camberwell today (cheap and vey diggable, go and have a look).
                no, no records in camberwell.

Comment

Don't tell me you live in Camberwell, Hooded Claw ?? If so I might have been staring at you at last week's car boot sale. About 4-5 people digging vinyl there (and it was all crap). A lady who smelt strongly of window-cleaner grabbed a Kinks reissue on Marble Arch just before I got to it. . .

Too much competition for too few pickings, man.

That being said, Rat records has a reish of the Mandingo - Sacrifice LP for £3, and an original 12" of Doug E Fresh's La-de-da-dee (or whatever it's called, Snoop Doggy Dogg covered it on his 1st album. . .great beatbox tune).

Also managed to find the 1st FSOL LP in Camberwell's monumentally downmarket Cash Converters for $2.50. And it's not as bad as I recalled, either. . .

Comment

I work on camberwell road... is there a booter in camberwell? I thought the nearest was brixton (or is it the camberwell end of coldharbour lane?)

There are so many regular diggers/oppurtunists/dealers in the charities on camberwell road all the time. I always see scruffy layabouts with ancient copies of the rc guide.

Comment

I guess we're referring to the Camberwell one on Coldharbour Lane, yep.

It's scary really. .. just not enough $£$%$%^%£"!£ records. Typically I never wake up on Sunday mornings, so I get there at about 12:00 when everyone is packing up !! Methinks this might have to change. Still, I've actually had some fairly decent stuff from the Camberwell charities. . .got an interesting Swedish album from 1970 by some fellow called Bernt Staf last week. . .has a kinda funky track on it. Wish my Swedish was better ! (Its nonexistent for now). Pulled out a mint Happy Monsters LP from Trinity Hospice a few months ago. . . and found an interesting record - a background music for dance thing - at that Brixton booter for 50p. It's by a chap called Raymond MacLean. . .really sparse, just drums and a bass. Very trip-hoppy feel to it. I kind of get encouraged when I find things like this at 12:15 - indicates that people aren't entirely clued up about things / don't share my tastes.

To be honest I think my musical tastes are rather diverse and (hopefully) a little more obscure than a lot of the dealers. . so finding OKish items shouldn't be too hard. Mind you, I reckon I've seen a few of the things in Rat record's "New Stock" section in local charities. . . That's a really good shop though. It's fcheap, and you can take tonnes of stuf into the basement and listen to it without being hassled.

Ask for listening privileges at any of the music and video exchange branches and you're liable to cop an earful. . .

Whaddayou do in lovely Camberwell then ? I live just down the road from there. . .Kennington end of Brixton Road.

Comment

I temp at the community mental health team. Yeah, I've found some nice bits but have also been beaten to a lot of nice finds. RAT definitely skim all the charities in the local area, saw a set of elvis records in dulwich which i almost bought then saw the exact same set in RAT. To their credit they were still well cheap though. But, they can't be everywhere at once...

Comment

GREAT.

Saw him gig last night in belgium, and the singer was ace.
                          could have done with the horn section and flute but
                          apart from that i reckon it was class, Recommended.

cosmic.
                          Whats you're style ?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (Viva Chiba @ Oct. 26 2004,19:18)]I saw the poster for the Jazz Cafe gig, and they'd used an image of him from the Expansions LP. .. and underneath they'd even typed "Expansions". Which leads me to presume that he probably will be mining the funk. . .
                            Bit late to add this now but the Lonnie artwork was done in our offices and it was just the best image and strapline we could come up with at 1 hour's notice. Sorry to mislead anyone... (i'm sure he'll trot out Expansions, usually does)

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (peretti @ Nov. 03 2004,13:07)]
                              Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (Viva Chiba @ Oct. 26 2004,19:18)]I saw the poster for the Jazz Cafe gig, and they'd used an image of him from the Expansions LP. .. and underneath they'd even typed "Expansions". Which leads me to presume that he probably will be mining the funk. . .
                              Bit late to add this now but the Lonnie artwork was done in our offices and it was just the best image and strapline we could come up with at 1 hour's notice. Sorry to mislead anyone... (i'm sure he'll trot out Expansions, usually does)
                              He sure did though I found some of his stuff a little too cheesy. Still not a bad gog but not really top notch either.

John Peel

Comment

Working...
                              X