Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secret stuff

Something I find rather strange is the whole thing around keeping stuff  

I can understand keeping something secret if you're searching for a copy of the record but once you have found it why would there be a need to keep it covered?

I find it annoying when I hear a great tune, pluck up the courage to ask the DJ, only to be told it's a secret.

I would be interested to find out what others think about this.

Yes, I am bored at work.
    records - one a week mixcloud
    records - one a week soundcloud

I guess one reason is that whoever would like to keep said   as 'their' tune. If they reveal it and others get hold of it then they'll have to do some more work and get other tunes. That said, I've never had anyone refuse to tell me what something is (probably because it's always you lot who're playing the good stuff   ).
    You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

I would love to tell ya , BUT i don't like to talk about it.
      Whats you're style ?

Comment

I sometimes keep stuff squirrel as it might be a cheap unknown record and I want to get more copies so I can trade them off.

But yeah if Im djing and someone asks - ofcourse you have to say what it is. (mostly they'll be too pi**ed to remember&#33

www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Sometimes I can kind of understand why, if it&#39;s a case like the Ellipses 45, which Dante spun and kept secret for quite a long time because he figured he was the only person on the worldwide funk scene who had a copy, thus helping keep his profile up. He doesn&#39;t have it any more because he sold it to Keb the other week. And then a Northern dealer heard about the record on the grapevine and offered Keb another copy. So even at that level, it&#39;s ultimately kinda pointless...

In Dante&#39;s case, you&#39;re talking about someone who spends all his time uncovering stuff that almost no one has heard before, and probably does that today more than anyone else. Anyone connected to today&#39;s generation of soul/funk collectors anyway. But to cover up because a tune is just breakinng onto, say, a funk scene, crossing over from another, is completely and utterly pointless. How long can you hold onto that mantle for? Couple of months tops. Who actually cares? Almost nobody. So what does that mean? Usually, it&#39;s an ego thing and nothing else.

Exceptions can be temporary secrecy. As Serms said, to gather up a few more, or allow a mate to get one first. Keep quiet on the internet til you got &#39;em, but if someone comes up whilst you&#39;re spinning and asks - well if you don&#39;t tell them, then you really are an asshole&#33;
          http://wakeupanddie.com
          http://weirdgearnyc.com
          http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (left hand corner @ Oct. 27 2004,16:06)]Something I find rather strange is the whole thing around keeping stuff  

I can understand keeping something secret if you&#39;re searching for a copy of  the record but once you have found it why would there be a need to keep it covered?

I find it annoying when I hear a great tune, pluck up the courage to ask the DJ, only to be told it&#39;s a secret.

I would be interested to find out what others think about this.

Yes, I am bored at work.
            Yeah, it&#39;s really annoying when someone gives you a compilation of, say, Brazilian funk and you ask what the titles of the tracks are and they say, &#39;Oh yeah, I really must write them down&#39;....
            http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

well I see it as &#39;this is good&#39;, I know theres more, or whats his name was in another group / had 3 other 45s which I don&#39;t have - if I make the knowledge public I&#39;m going to have more competition in tracking those down ..

Australian jazz was perhaps a case in point, after the Tasman Connection site went up a few feathers were ruffled, and yep, demand for a lot of those LP&#39;s featured suddnely increased .. that said, I&#39;ve benefitted from the information up on that site so am I the pot calling the kettle black .. I will be providing a tracklist for my vulture disc tho

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (sermad @ Oct. 27 2004,17:38)]
                Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] ]But yeah if Im djing and someone asks - ofcourse you have to say what it is. (mostly i&#39;ll be too pi**ed to remember&#33

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (rolex baxter @ Oct. 28 2004,03:36)]Australian jazz was perhaps a case in point, after the Tasman Connection site went up a few feathers were ruffled, and yep, demand for a lot of those LP&#39;s featured suddnely increased .. that said, I&#39;ve benefitted from the information up on that site so am I the pot calling the kettle black
                  It&#39;s a double-edged sword alright.  Drawing attention to stuff you&#39;re after, but that same attention could prompt more people to dig out their copies to sell. That&#39;s all online stuff though. Keeping it secret in person is a little different. I just think it&#39;s ultimately futile.
                  http://wakeupanddie.com
                  http://weirdgearnyc.com
                  http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] ]Yeah, it&#39;s really annoying when someone gives you a compilation of, say, Brazilian funk and you ask what the titles of the tracks are and they say, &#39;Oh yeah, I really must write them down&#39;....  
                    I would say that&#39;s more of a case of being lazy than a determined effort to keep stuff secret. Plus the tracklist was with my girlfriend in Denmark for ages. And the dog ate it.....

I will send you the tracklist tonight.
                    records - one a week mixcloud
                    records - one a week soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (left hand corner @ Oct. 28 2004,10:17)]
                      Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] ]Yeah, it&#39;s really annoying when someone gives you a compilation of, say, Brazilian funk and you ask what the titles of the tracks are and they say, &#39;Oh yeah, I really must write them down&#39;....  
                      I would say that&#39;s more of a case of being lazy than a determined effort to keep stuff secret. Plus the tracklist was with my girlfriend in Denmark for ages. And the dog ate it.....

I will send you the tracklist tonight.
                      http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

From a mixtape perspective I kind of enjoy not having a tracklisting.... I&#39;m talking about the AEIOU/Breaks4Days style megamix stuff here. It&#39;s a nice feeling when you stumble across something that you recognize accidentally.

Of course if it&#39;s driving you barmy then it&#39;s nice to be able to ask, and in my experience people will generally give out information if you ask them personally or via email. When I do a mix I normally don&#39;t send it out with tracklisting but will provide one if asked via email - it&#39;s really just a way of forcing people to give me feedback

Speaking of which, I should probably, oh, DO A DAMN MIX sometimes soon. Sick of thinking about it.

[NB: Imagine my alarm when I discovered one of the Breaks4Days tunes that I&#39;d been feeling is a Paul McCartney/Wings joint&#33;?&#33;? A man can&#39;t afford to sleep on anything.]

Comment

Working...
                        X