Funky rock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funky rock

after the recent outing of housewives' favourite Rod Stewart as a funky rock god, can anyone recommend any good Brit funky rock?

preferably mainstream, cheap and easy to find in any half-decent 2nd hand shop.
    http://www.blaxploitation.com
    Chops for show, groove for dough.

'Too Much Attention' - Gilbert O'Sullivan on that LP whose name escapes me but you see it everwhere for 50p.

'Thunderbox' - Humble Pie

'Upp' - Upp (still come across this cheap quite a lot)

'Wired' - Jeff Beck (actually fairly nasty apart from 'Come Dancing&#39

there's tons more but my memory is a bit donald ducked these days.........
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Tremeloes 'Instant Whip' (b-side of '(Call Me) Number One&#39
      You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Grand Funk Railroad?

The wild shirtless lyrics of Mark Farner! the bone rattling bass of Mel Schacher! The competent drum work of Mel Brewer.
        Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] ]Grand Funk Railroad?
          Are they not American?

'Ogdens Nut Gone Flake' - Small Faces (check 'the Journey&#39

'Makes you Blind' - the Glitter Band (can be had on 7 and lp for cheap)

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (LDJB @ Oct. 28 2004,13:51)]
            Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] ]Grand Funk Railroad?
            Are they not American?

'Ogdens Nut Gone Flake' - Small Faces (check 'the Journey&#39

'Makes you Blind' - the Glitter Band (can be had on 7 and lp for cheap)
            Well yeah they are indeed but somehow it appealed as they are very rock but not very funky despite the name.
            Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (emperor tomato ketchup @ Oct. 28 2004,13:53)]Well yeah they are indeed but somehow it appealed as they are very rock but not very funky despite the name.
              Nah, you just wanted to quote Homer....

'..And then came The Alan Parsons Project, which I believe was some sort of Hovercraft...'
              Matt Hero

Comment

'In Rock' - Deep Purple ( a chazzer / 2nd hand staple)

'You Go To My Head' - Bryan Ferry (on a b side and an LP - both of which most dealers will pay you to take away)

Comment

The two albums by Ross are worth a punt. Self titled and the Pit and the Pendulum.

Buzzy Lindhart also did some fairly credible stuff.

And Crabby Appleton, I think they're of UK origin.

Comment

Just how funky are we talking about. If the Faces era Rod passes muster then the likes of Thin Lizzy or Free may be worth investigating.

Edgar Broughtan Band's OutDemons Out is a pretty classic of loose rocking rabble rousing pagan ritual.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (Belson @ Oct. 27 2004,15:37)]Buzzy Lindhart also did some fairly credible stuff.

And Crabby Appleton, I think they're of UK origin.
                      Crabby Appleton are US origin (Michael Fennelly's post-Millennium outfit) but very highly recommended nevertheless.

What's good in the Buzzy Lindhart catalogue? Rob's had a kind of 2xLP best of/selected of his in his racks for months, but it didn't look too promising at a glance...
                      a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

first three Thin Lizzy albums are great (s/t, Shades of a Blue Orphanage, Vagabonds of the Western World), when they were sort of folk meets Hendrix. quite a few good tracks on later albums too. i was a fan when younger though so am probably biased...

Comment

CCS. Look out for 'Hang It On Me' on 45. It's a stormer. Also 'Brother' and I'm sure you know that there Led Zep cover they did.

Comment

Finally remembered who i was trying to think of earlier, though I dunno if their gear is actually cheap, but the Pink Fairies might float your boat.

Yes have some pretty groovy bass and drum work outs but the same tracks tend to have some pretty tedious half hours too. Probably not what you had in mind.

John Peel

Comment

"Tuna Biscuit" 7" by the G Band on Bell (yes, it's the Glitter Band again, half-heartedly pretending to be someone else);

"Now Hear This" LP by Hanson (not *that* Hanson) on ELP's Manticore label ain't bad;

Dino & Sembello S/T LP on A&M has a nice funky rocker called "Feels so Good".

(...actually the last two are US. So sue me, awready.)
                              Endless Tripe

Comment

Working...
                              X