Modern soul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern soul

Donna McGhee -"It ain't no big thing" is one of my favourite modern songs. What do you recommend in the same style as this song?

Thanks

Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Funky Tee @ Oct. 28 2004,21:22)]Donna McGhee -"It ain't no big thing" is one of my favourite modern songs. What do you recommend in the same style as this song?

Thanks
    Rainbow Brown "It Ain't No Big Thing"?

(Sorry mate, I'll post you that 12" tomorrow).
    Endless Tripe

Comment

lewis taylor's 1st LP is a modern soul classic with huge dollops of marvinisms thrown in for free.
      Lucky being the pick of the bunch.
      there only noodles michael...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (BONBON @ Oct. 29 2004,18:33)]lewis taylor's 1st LP is a modern soul classic with huge dollops of marvinisms thrown in for free.
        I've always found Lewis Taylor's albums rather "difficult". But I am still curious to heart the CD which he only distributed via his website in a super low press run where he does cover versions. Does anyone have it and could burn a copy ?

I am slightly confused by the genre "Modern Soul" which Funky Tee selected for Donna McGhee's "It ain't no big thing". I draw a blank at the moment as to what I'd like to call it but certainly Donna McGhee and Lewis Taylor are not in the same classification shoebox, or are they?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (Yemsky @ Oct. 29 2004,20:57)]
          Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (BONBON @ Oct. 29 2004,18:33)]lewis taylor's 1st LP is a modern soul classic with huge dollops of marvinisms thrown in for free.
          I've always found Lewis Taylor's albums rather "difficult". But I am still curious to heart the CD which he only distributed via his website in a super low press run where he does cover versions. Does anyone have it and could burn a copy ?

I am slightly confused by the genre "Modern Soul" which Funky Tee selected for Donna McGhee's "It ain't no big thing". I draw a blank at the moment as to what I'd like to call it but certainly Donna McGhee and Lewis Taylor are not in the same classification shoebox, or are they?
          No there's a little confusion going on here. 'Modern soul', as opposed to modern soul, is stuff from the late 70s/early 80s, usually that got played on the 'modern soul' scene (richard Searling was a driving force behind this, and I think Soul Sam, too). Therefore, I'd class Donna McGhee as 'modern soul' (a genre style) and Lewis Taylor as modern soul (a simple description). Does that make sense?
          http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Working...
          X