Contemporary brazilian music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contemporary brazilian music

Has anyone else been watching BBC4's 'City of Men' (spin-off from 'City of God&#39?

If not, I can heartily recommend it. Not as good as the film, but not much is.

Anyway, this week's episode was set at a 'Funk Dance' in the favela and I thought, "Ooh, funk dance, now we'll hear some tunes!", only to find that their interpretation of 'funk' wasn't what I expected! The music used was kind of rubbish HipHop and not much cop.

Now, I've always been partial to 'a bit of Brazilian' (Rich?) and would have thought that with their tradition and the lineage of great stuff to use as influences, modern Brazilian music would be pretty good. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places. So, does anyone know of any good, contemporary Brazilian stuff?

Cheers.

I'm getting all misty eyed about Joyce now.
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

shed loads of great 'new' brazilian stuff out there........some of the braz hiphop is kinda ok too........will try to dig out some names later........gotta do some work now.......

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (Benicio Del Toffo @ Oct. 29 2004,09:13)]Now, I've always been partial to 'a bit of Brazilian' (Rich?)...
      You rang, m'lud?

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Certainly plenty of good Brazillian stuff around.  

Try starting off with the Far Out Recordings & Trama record labels (links below).  Then get yourself some recent copies of the Straight no Chaser magazine…always plenty of recommendations in there.  

trama records
        Far Out Recordings
        www.sliderecordshop.com

Comment

Stuff to look out for from the last few years:

Ed Motta
          Jair Oliveira
          Paula Lima
          Bebel Gilberto
          Leandro Lehart (1st release only)
          Wilson Simoninha
          Max de Castro
          J.Quest
          Vanessa da Mata

Most things on the Trama label, and look out for a CD of new Soul & Hip Hop flavoured tunes from Brazil due out shortly on Rainycity Records from Manchester.
          Mark GV Taylor

https://www.facebook.com/referencepointlondon

Comment

Working...
          X