Demis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demis

So is souvenirs the only roussos worth getting, or is there any more of his solo stuff that is worth a punt??
    Errr..Hambone?

Souvenirs is the one with Action Lady, right? There's another LP with one okay track (L.O.V.E? Fire And Ice???) that's worth picking up for charity shop prices, but my memory's failing me and they all look alike. But both of those pale in comparison to his work with Vangelis (you heard&#33 as Aphrodite's Child. I think Lee or Sermad charted 666 and The Four Horsemen is da bomb...

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

An interesting Demis recording is featured on the scarce but incredible Le Jeune Fabre OST 45. This joint, which is taken from a French TV series, features two cuts: one displaying the talents of mista Roussos and the other the instrumental, which does not.

Although the cut of choice is the outstanding instrumental 'A Travers Montmarte' which I try to drop atleast once each time I play out, it being an extraordinarilly funked up and super fast tune with one of the most amazing endings I ever heard [wicked moody and goose pimple inducing beat and strings fest ] the cut you might wanna check is the cut 'Le Pentre des Etoiles' which has our Demis crooning over a backdrop of nicely muted but still deep beats kinda like a Portishead soundalike [but just!] Very worth checking if you can find one, a good copy just went on the bay last two weeks ago.
      I was raised by wolves

Comment

I've got a fair bit of old Demis' work which I've picked up on me travels. THe one with "L.O.V.E." is called Demis and has a sleeve which depicts Demis' face being made up of snakes.

"Fire & Ice" is a much earlier affair - much closer to the Aphrodites Child stuff - actually not a bad lp, kind of pop / psyche, but the track they want is "O My Brothers..." which has been sampled by Shadow and has some ace fuzz guitar in it (I've got a minty spare of this LP if anyone is in need).

I also have "Happy to Be" LP which is best avoided despite the presence of Clem Cattini.

I have another mid 70s one whose name escapes me but it also has a funky track on it - I'll check at home tonight if nobody else comes up with it.

I had 666 by the 'Child in my funky prog feature (should still be there) - a total mother of a track
        "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Sorry!

I meant also to say that it's on the Phillips label 6009 314

The best Demis is on the Aphrodites Child stuff, mad and bad proggy psych funk weirdness. The LP everybody seems to know is the 666 joint which has some incredible moments, the '4 Horsemen' being an incredibly heavy and fiercely funked up tune, this is the shiz but I prefer their earlier and barking mad LP 'End of the World' on Mercury from 69'. The LP itself is a shockingly good definition of what drugs can do for the creative and hungry mind. 'Valley of Sadness' 'The Shepherd and the Moon' 'Rain and Tears' & the title track 'End of the World' more than define the term psychedelia for me but the track 'Grass is no green' is the killer: a mind crushing, HEAVY beat laden soundscape which is only bettered for me by Vangelis' solo work on his Earth LP, this is one mofo of an LP. I never thought their work was that popular, but I am frequently reminded of their influence and presence when listening to other artists, even certain contemporary ones. I would love to help showcase this outstanding and important music just once if there ever was the opportunity, but I'm not very hopefull that it could be pulled off! Then again, I'd love to be proven wrong. Psych/Beat all-niter anyone?

I was raised by wolves

Comment

Theres also "Make it happen" easier to find on a comp of his stuff than on OG
            SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Comment

Do you mean the track 'Let it Happen' from the Earth LP?
              I was raised by wolves

Comment

The sleeve notes for the 666 album tells you the drug that they were all on whilst they recorded it.

I don't have my copy to hand - anybody?

Comment

Sahlep

Anybody got some?
                  I was raised by wolves

Comment

......and I just broke my seal to get to this info so I hope you're all satisfied!

WTF is Sahelp anyways, some blood sucking parasitical organism living off the rear produce of sheep, found only on the hillsides in the darkest corners of the Greek islets of yore?
                    I was raised by wolves

Comment

The other album you might be thinking of is The Magic Of... which came out on Phillips in the mid-70s and is a charity shop staple. It has his version of 'Let It Happen', which is not as good as Vangelis' on his Earth LP but is still good. It also has 'I Dig You', which Harvey has been playing in the last few years.

It's worth picking up the twelve of .L.O.V.E. Gotta Hold On Me' if you see it, because the other side's good, too, and I don' think that's on the album (I'll check the name later). The 12 is now quite sought after since some silly bastard put a load of lists in the back of his book and included this record in one of them.

(PS There's a funky track on Souvenirs?&#33
                      http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

I've got the feeling that Action Lady maybe just your cup of tea, and there's a few more tracks worth a listen too. I think I have a spare which you can have if you'd like?
                        You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] ]one displaying the talents of mista Roussos and the other the instrumental, which does not.
                          Let's not forget that Demis was the Child's bassist and there is some fantastic bass-work on The Four Horsemen for example.
                          It ain't shakey

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ 20 May 2003,13:27)]I've got the feeling that Action Lady maybe just your cup of tea, and there's a few more tracks worth a listen too. I think I have a spare which you can have if you'd like?
                            Rich, sounds good. Wanna swap it for The Magic Of Demis Roussos? (OK, maybe not...)
                            http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (La-Soul-Fiend @ 20 May 2003,12:26)]Sorry!

The best Demis is on the Aphrodites Child stuff, mad and bad proggy psych funk weirdness.

.... I would love to help showcase this outstanding and important music just once if there ever was the opportunity, but I'm not very hopefull that it could be pulled off! Then again, I'd love to be proven wrong. Psych/Beat all-niter anyone?

I like Aphrodites' 45s - "Magic Mirror" for some hammond-fuzz-a-g0-go for the dancefloor.

There's another 45 with a real stoner-jazz style b-side (which I've forgotten the name)

Mr Fiend - I don't know wher you're based but there's a regular night in LEEDS called "Facsimile Factory" that give all that heavy psyche funk prog stuff an airing.

Not been myself but a few mates speak highly of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X