Live albums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live albums

I've been disappointed in the past so many times by live albums of artists I really like, it has really put me off... I don't think I've bought a live album for years.

Anyone got recommendations? Especially in the Funk/Soul area.
    Official Old School UK Hip Hop T-Shirts available at www.stylewarrior.co.uk

you really dont need telling, but...
    my all time faves are Curtis Live and Honky Tonk Angel by El Mac.
    kraut rock ist nicht tot!
    http://www.myspace.com/andyvotel
    http://www.myspace.com/voteldesign

Comment

Kool And the Gang - 'Live at the Sex Machine'

James Brown - 'Super Bad'

but in general I totally agree re live LPs

But 'Metallic KO' by Iggy and 'It's Alive' by the Ramones totally rock Dude!
      "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Rare Earth?

Sod this Funk/Soul bollocks...

Velvets '1969' all the way!!!!

Comment

I tend to agree. Not a big fan of live music really.

That said, I was listening to the live version of the Pointer Sisters "Yes We Can Can" the other night. That sounded pretty good. Extremely heavy bassline and a groovy breakdown at the end including some early beatboxing (sort of). I don't what the rest of the LP is like - I've got it on a 12".

Also I really like the live versions of "Home is Where the Hatred Is" and "The Bottle" by Gil Scott Heron. (Sorry if these are obvious choices). Got 12"s of those too.

Maybe live 12"s are the way forward?
          Endless Tripe

Comment

Purchase yourself a copy of Grant Greens 'Live at the Lighthouse' on Blue Note.

Stunning version of Jan Jan as well as some other top notch soulin'.

Comment

Apologies for the funk/soul bollocks - my nomination...

But I do agree about live recordings in general.
              You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

agreed on 'Curtis Live'

also

Grant Green 'Alive!'
                Gil Scott-Heron and Brian Jackson 'It's Your World'
                We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

if you mean 'live at maxs kansas city' i'll have a double pernod.
                  kraut rock ist nicht tot!
                  http://www.myspace.com/andyvotel
                  http://www.myspace.com/voteldesign

Comment

Parliament - 'Live - P-Funk Earth Tour 1977', for the audience participation if nothing else. Especially on 'Dr Funkenstein'.

Brings it home just how popular that band was at the time.

George Clinton must have some top stories to tell and all.
                    Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

I cant remember any names but theres a many many live hendrix records which are just wicked. Hendrix covering 'get out my life woman' and things like that. All sound like they were recorded in a shit can. Should be dead easy to find in many pound bins at record fairs. Most look like they've come from germany!
                      www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Good choices so far.

For something more recent i would go with the Portishead in NYC LP.
                        records - one a week mixcloud
                        records - one a week soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (sermad @ Nov. 01 2004,15:18)]Should be dead easy to find in many pound bins
                          Most I&#39;ve bought in the past have been in the &#39;cheap&#39; section, hence the only reason I bought them in the first place, having said that I have quite enjoyed EWF&#39;s &#39;Gratitude&#39;, AWB&#39;s &#39;Person to Person&#39; and Chaka Khan&#39;s &#39;Stompin at the Savoy&#39;. That Portishead in NYC is good too, not heard it in years mind, might have to dig it out&#33;
                          Official Old School UK Hip Hop T-Shirts available at www.stylewarrior.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (Benicio Del Toffo @ Nov. 01 2004,15:08)]Parliament - &#39;Live - P-Funk Earth Tour 1977&#39;, for the audience participation if nothing else. Especially on &#39;Dr Funkenstein&#39;.

Brings it home just how popular that band was at the time.

George Clinton must have some top stories to tell and all.
                            I have a copy with the poster (needs to be properly framed) and the t-shirt transfer (needs to be ironed on). Give me another two years and I might actually get both those things done.

My vote goes to Johnny Cash Live At San Quentin. That is the best live album ever and anyone who disagrees is embarassingly wrong.

Comment

PNYC is great. Nick Ingman conducted that night. He said it was a hoot&#33;
                              www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Working...
                              X