• Show
Clear All

• President singles question

a quick question

why is whenever I find a bunch of mint President singles, they're

Dorothy Squires

and

Ruby Murray?
    We know when a mate buys it for you too.

More popular artists, therefore more multiplous copies..
    Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

I was thinking 'less popular artists, therefore more unsold dead stock'. After all, The Equals must have been one of the most popular artists on President, and you never see piles of 'I can see but you don't know' sitting around in charities...
      We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (john stapleton @ Nov. 05 2004,15:40)]I was thinking 'less popular artists, therefore more unsold dead stock'. After all, The Equals must have been one of the most popular artists on President, and you never see piles of 'I can see but you don't know' sitting around in charities...
        Of course. But what I meant was that at the time they were perceived to be popular by the label, so the records were mass-produced, and as you say weren't quite as popular as first thought and ended up as dead stock. The phrase "going for a Ruby" says it all - her name even entered popular vernacular. Admittedly not so sure about Dorothy Squires tho..
        Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

At record fair there were hundres of president 45's all 10p. 99% of them turned out to be a crap gwen mcrae one!

www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (vibra @ Nov. 05 2004,15:49)]
            Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (john stapleton @ Nov. 05 2004,15:40)]I was thinking &#39;less popular artists, therefore more unsold dead stock&#39;. After all, The Equals must have been one of the most popular artists on President, and you never see piles of &#39;I can see but you don&#39;t know&#39; sitting around in charities...
            Of course. But what I meant was that at the time they were perceived to be popular by the label, so the records were mass-produced, and as you say weren&#39;t quite as popular as first thought and ended up as dead stock. The phrase &quot;going for a Ruby&quot; says it all - her name even entered popular vernacular. Admittedly not so sure about Dorothy Squires tho..
            What, you&#39;ve never heard of &quot;going for a Dorothy&quot;?
            http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

The puzzling ubiquity of that Dorothy Squires 7&quot; (available in virtually every other charity shop in the land) is a perpetual source of frustration...
              Endless Tripe

Comment

Working...
              X