Hymns a swinging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hymns a swinging

just bought a reissue of hymns a swinging from fellow vulture moviegrooves, he's got 4 copies left so get in quick.

google search for moviegrooves to find his site.
    I want to go to the land of ooog!

is it just me or does this seem an odd choice for reissue....?
    don't get me wrong........it's a great record.......but in reality it's a novelty piece.........i know trunk put out a couple of the best tracks from this lp on the ressurection comp and that was a good move in my opinion......in context with the theme as well as being great tracks..........but to reissue the lp in it's entirity just seems a little odd.........it's a novelty lp on a budget label and surely it's appeal lies largely in the fact that it's a novelty....an unlikely source of great funky music.........but as a whole i don't know whether it's really saying enough to warrent a reissue...........don't really know how to put into words what i'm trying to say here........just seems odd that's all.........and not to mention a little late in the day.........didn't interest in this lp peak at least two years ago.....?

Comment

totally agree... but i think we've had this discussion a couple of weeks ago....after all, it's not a legit release, it's a limited bootleg I believe
      We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

well good to know that it's not just me....thought maybe i was just being a sourpuss......should've guessed it was a bootleg.........so now it makes more sense.........who cares about whether or not it's a good idea to reissue....as long as it makes us a few quid right...?........always gonna be someone prepared to leap onto what they perceive as being the latest 'hot record' in order to make some money.......i suspect that ted taylor is no longer with us and of course we all know that tubby isn't........wasn't clive hicks on that session......?.......i saw hicks playing with rendell in a bar recently.......i'm sure he could use some credit for his guitar work on that album...............bet he has no idea........sorry but booting just annoys me nowadays........there's no need for it.....ok...rant over.......

Comment

Why this is any more weird a choice than any other of about 100 records reissued or booted in the last five years is lost on me. I mean, I see reissues every week of the weakest stuff and then you got the slightly rarer stuff which everybody knows are just bad joints but they receive a reissue nevertheless.

The Mike Sammes/Ted Taylor is an oddity but no odder than putting out the Moody, I mean that was a right royal weird choice there! Atleast with this LP you got the funk, the beats and the cross over christian vibe going on. I'm only talking here about your describing this as a weird one to put out is all.

I reckon there are many more weird and poor choices being booted or reissued every week which just makes my head spin. Check the soul brother catalogue for an exhaustive selection of mediocre soul and funk boots or reissued wackness.

And then you got records which are only a few years old?  

What is that all about?
          it's time for some heartbeats

Comment

i hear what you're saying mr.fiend....i guess it isn't any weirder than so much of what gets reissued or booted........but initially i assumed that it was a legit reissue in which case i think it would've been weird.........legit or not.....to me somehow the appeal of the Hymns A Swinging is the pure novelty aspect.......it's a diggers record........something you find by digging around in piles of dirty tatty records...........if you take it out of that context and reissue it and put it in the racks then it's lost it's appeal.........not because it's lost some 'exlusivity' or whatever but because it's just out of place......it's become a second rate lp amongst all the other second rate lps........let's face it......it's not such a great record......in fact it ain't even very rare.........i've had 3 copies in the last year and i know people who have like five copies.........

Comment

Then you are indeed blessed by the big guy. I aint never seen that in the filed and bleive me, I've looked. And you might not dig the jig factor in that LP, but a pub full of funk lovers did a few weeks ago. It bounced.

Why is this choice any stranger than say putting out an artist's entire back catalogue which includes all of his good stuff but all his poo as well? I would rather see copies of Hymns in the racks than piles and piles of second rate soul and funk boots. They just take up way too much space and make me wonder who goes after these in the good shops?

I do see your point on this being an oddity, but it really aint that common a find man, seriously.

Then again, I'm in London and you gots to be mad lucky to grab at anything round my way.

Freaking 24 hour crate mothers!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (platerpus @ Nov. 07 2004,01:02)]in fact it ain't even very rare.........i've had 3 copies in the last year and i know people who have like five copies.........
                really?

now I'm impressed...I've only found one in the wild...but then again I'm a little man.....I should have been a pair of ragged claws crawling across a desert sea....he wanted to kill me becuse I took his picture...watch out, these are Americans...the heads, you're looking at the heads, well sometimes he goes too far...maybe we should go back to the boat...he's worse than crazy,man, he's evil...if I don't get back by 22 hundred hours, call in the airstrike.

my only friend, the end....

Comment

Where the fookery have you been tonite man?

Comment

Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay............on the box right?

Comment

they told me that you had gone totally insane and that your methods were unsound.

do you think my methods are unsound?

I don't see any method at all

Comment

Are they screening the redux?

Comment

the man is clear in his mind....but his soul is dying

he reads poetry out loud

he likes you because you're stil alive

pbr streetgang, over...

Comment

The OST is an ocean of sample possibilities. I found fourty two million in the field. Just today that is. Whilst blinded in one eye by the overwhelming light of my own magnificence.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (Soul-Fiend @ Nov. 07 2004,01:25)]Are they screening the redux?
                              no, just the OG, but I remember watching it for the first time in the cinema in '79 or '80, and I haven't seen it for at least ten years...still stands up!

never get off the boat!

Comment

Working...
                              X