1001 Albums you must hear before you die - the VG+ version

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1001 Albums you must hear before you die - the VG+ version

I love lists and I love records and that's no doubt why over the years I've been given at least three copies of 1001 Records You Must Hear Before You Die

I was wondering if we could do a VG+ version - records that would perhaps never get into a mainstream book but should do.

I reckon if we all nominate two albums then we'll probably get up to 1001 - and maybe we can even get more that 1001

Feel free to add anything you want, unless someone else has beaten you to it. Any genre, any period, any reason.
    The records could be super rare - or just super good. They could be unsung masterpieces or something that you loved as a kid.
    If you had to pick two records that you would recommend to anyone to listen to what would they be???

if you can't be bothered to scroll down the thread click here for a list- updated as we go along

To kick things off I'm going to nominate

1. Yusef Lateef - Eatern Sounds

I'm sure you all know this record but if you don't you really should pick it up. Combining Lateef's experiments with Eastern instruments and chords with his sensative and imaginative takes on film themes, I never get tired of this record. You can hear his roots in blues based hard bop and feel him searching to find a new way to express himself. Beautiful stuff

2. Gichy Dan's Beachwood No. 9

The brainchild of August Darnell and using many of the musicians that would become part of the Kid Creole band, most notably 'Sugar Coated' Andy Hernandez (Coati Mundi) and foregrounding the warm voice of Gichy Dan this is one of the happiest records I own. Gichy Dan went on to produce the increadible Cowboys and Gangsters with Ron Rogers but that's another story. This album can still be picked up for next to nothing for some reason.
    Last edited by Expiry2011; 16-06-2011, 12:05 PM.
    "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

A couple I rate highly enough to nominate.

Bruce Haack - Electric Lucifer
    Bonkers outsider psych with added Moog and electronics, every part as good as 'Fiftyfoot hose", and "united states of America".

Ford theatre - Trilogy for the masses.
    Perfect psych to my ears. The follow up LP is also a fave too.

Great thread BTW mate.

Ive even gave it the five star rating treatment!
    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Cosign on Yusef Lateef - Eastern Sounds. Such a beautiful LP. In a similar vien I suggest;
      Sahib Shihab - Companionship
      I think this LP almost transends jazz and any VG+'er who isn't a lover of jazz will find some of this interesting, if not life affirming. It's jazz, it's classical + more.

2nd'ly
      Garland Green - Jelous Kinda Fella
      Such a good 60's soul LP.
      You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Comment

Denise LaSalle - Trapped By A Thing Called Love

I like this record a lot
        some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

^ Thats only one record mate!

Comment

Big Terror Themes and James Last Voodoo Party.

Oh, you mean THOSE types of VG+ records

Nancy Priddy - You've Come This Way Before (Dot) This is easily my most listened to record of recent years. Christine Applegate's mom sole LP from the late 60's. All beautiful melodic original tracks with stellar backing. Purdie on drums results in nice pop songs having a bit more oomph than they perhaps would with some else in the stool. Anyone who doesn't like this record is no friend of mine!

Jim Sullivan - UFO (Century/Light In The Attic) Thankfully recently reissued. Folk/country tracks again made all the more 'funky' by some of the musicians Axelrod used (I almost went for the Pride LP by Axelrod which has a similar feel to the Sullivan but more varied songs won through). Wish more SSW stuff sounded like this.
            Last edited by Campag Record; 16-06-2011, 12:24 PM. Reason: To add more descriptions to the LP's
            "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

Both killer choices there Nige mate.

Comment

Originally posted by BoneyVotel View Post
                2nd'ly
                Garland Green - Jelous Kinda Fella
                Such a good 60's soul LP.
                Had this for a while - had to get rid of it, couldn't cope with the misogyny of the lyrics.
                We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Originally posted by mr sayers View Post
                  Bruce Haack - Electric Lucifer
                  Bonkers outsider psych with added Moog and electronics, every part as good as 'Fiftyfoot hose", and "united states of America".
                  If we're digging together and you find a record that you know I really really want, let's say Dana Gillespie (obviously something you wouldn't mind owning) I'll remind you of the day that I passed the Bruce Haack your way and expect the favour returned

Both killer choices there Nige mate.
                  Likewise mate...it's like we both have the same tastes...ha ha.
                  "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

Originally posted by Campag Record View Post
                    Likewise mate...it's like we both have good tastes...ha ha.

Comment

^ Thats only one record mate!
                      Very true

Ok, Quincy Jones - Walking In Space

Sublime, grew up with it as my dad played it often and still sounds immense!
                      some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

Good idea!

Here's a couple in the pop/psych/sunshine pop vein that I think are essential/cheap/relatively neglected

Pidgeon S/T on US Decca

http://time-has-told-me.blogspot.com...969-there.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEjoUZXE36E
                        "Not only that but the WHOLE COVER is UNCREASED with only 2 or 3 TINY creaselines near the opening edge about half way down!!!! In the same place (about half way down the opening edge), there is an absolutely TINY and PERFECTLY repaired split" (xxxrecords)

Comment

Both faves of mine Joe mate, especially like the long track on the end of one of the sides on that Peppermint trolly.

Comment

First one that I think of is this one -

Everyone's heard it here I'm sure. I absolutely love it. It's cool, touching, serene and even kitchy. Jazz+ strings =
                            Back to Neuuuuuuuuuu!

Comment

Both faves of mine Joe mate, especially like the long track on the end of one of the sides on that Peppermint trolly.
                              yes! It's a really deep album/heavy I reckon. I love stuff that's superficially 'sunshine pop', but is actually pretty dark and intense...
                              "Not only that but the WHOLE COVER is UNCREASED with only 2 or 3 TINY creaselines near the opening edge about half way down!!!! In the same place (about half way down the opening edge), there is an absolutely TINY and PERFECTLY repaired split" (xxxrecords)

Comment

Working...
                              X