Tamba trio - avanço

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tamba trio - avanço

Picked this up at the weekend. Very nice. Don't know much about them, but I've heard the name dropped often. Any further info?
    http://www.djhistory.com

very nice find.........does it have the little post card highlighting previous releases.......?.....early 60s.....think it's their 2nd lp.....once upon a time this was a red hot lp and was changing hands for a hundred big fellas.........nowadays it's all calmed down and you're looking at a good deal less than half that tops for a nice copy........actually ain't very scarce but it's a classic record.........think they were very popular at the time and probably sold an awful lot of records.......

Comment

No card and it doesn't have a proper sleeve, just a wrap around piece of card. Brazilian Philips issue. Nice versions of Mas Que Nada and Girl From Ipanema. By the sounds of it a bargain for 20p.
      http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

All the Philips releases up until the 70s were without sealed edges! Tamba Trio are one of the most famous bossa trio's from the 60s & 70s, recorded a couple of albums for A&M as well. (look out for the A&M 7" version of "California Soul&quot The great piano player from the group Luiz Eca used to be the piano teacher of a friend of mine in Rio called Marvio Ciribelli, who has now gone on to be one of the best jazz/bossa pianist in Rio at the moment.
        20 pence is a bargain, as this should still fetch around £30-40 with most dealers....
        Mark GV Taylor

https://www.facebook.com/referencepointlondon

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ Nov. 10 2004,08:22)]Nice versions of Mas Que Nada and Girl From Ipanema. By the sounds of it a bargain for 20p.
          Nice? That's my personal favourite! Not that I have the LP - just the cash-in 12" from France '98... Nice catch Bill.
          You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Didn't they record as Tamba Four for A&M?

I think there are a couple of tunes by 'em on that A&M Brazillian sampler ("Carnival In Rio" or summat).
            Endless Tripe

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (son of stan @ Nov. 10 2004,11:49)]Didn't they record as Tamba Four for A&M?
              Yup, Tamba Four recorded on both A&M and CTI. I have the California Soul 7" which is a splendid uptempo jazzy take on the classic, and also the 'Samba Blim' LP on CTI (from whence the 'Brazilian Carnival' tracks are taken). The title track of that LP is my fave and it also featured on the Mojo Club comp 'Dancefloor Jazz Vol.3', pop pickers.

BRAZILIAN CARNIVAL
              Various Artists
              Recorded: 1967-1968. Issued: 1970

a. Like A Lover - Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66
              b. Just My Love And I - Walter Wanderley Set (from WHEN IT WAS DONE)
              c. Watch What Happens - Tamba Four (from SAMBA BLIM)
              d. Bridges - Milton Nascimento (from COURAGE)
              e. Wave - Antonio Carlos Jobim (from WAVE)
              f. Cancao Do Sal - Bossa Rio
              g. Slick - Tamba Four (from SAMBA BLIM)
              h. Reach Out For Me - Walter Wanderley Set (from WHEN IT WAS DONE)
              i. Antigua - Antonio Carlos Jobim (from WAVE)
              j. Daytripper - Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66

Issues: a-j on A&M (E) AMLB-1007
              Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

They recorded two LPs and a 7" only release as a four member group for A&M records, but went back to the original trio on later Brazilian recordings....
                Mark GV Taylor

https://www.facebook.com/referencepointlondon

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (vibra @ Nov. 10 2004,12:50)]
                  Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (son of stan @ Nov. 10 2004,11:49)]Didn't they record as Tamba Four for A&M?
                  Yup, Tamba Four recorded on both A&M and CTI. I have the California Soul 7" which is a splendid uptempo jazzy take on the classic, and also the 'Samba Blim' LP on CTI (from whence the 'Brazilian Carnival' tracks are taken). The title track of that LP is my fave and it also featured on the Mojo Club comp 'Dancefloor Jazz Vol.3', pop pickers.

BRAZILIAN CARNIVAL
                  Various Artists
                  Recorded: 1967-1968. Issued: 1970

a. Like A Lover - Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66
                  b. Just My Love And I - Walter Wanderley Set (from WHEN IT WAS DONE)
                  c. Watch What Happens - Tamba Four (from SAMBA BLIM)
                  d. Bridges - Milton Nascimento (from COURAGE)
                  e. Wave - Antonio Carlos Jobim (from WAVE)
                  f. Cancao Do Sal - Bossa Rio
                  g. Slick - Tamba Four (from SAMBA BLIM)
                  h. Reach Out For Me - Walter Wanderley Set (from WHEN IT WAS DONE)
                  i. Antigua - Antonio Carlos Jobim (from WAVE)
                  j. Daytripper - Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66

Issues: a-j on A&M (E) AMLB-1007
                  That''s the one. Great LP (for the benefit of anyone who hasn't got it)

It doesn't seem to turn up very often in my experience and has the same cover image and a similar title to another record (on Contour I think) which is v. poor.
                  Endless Tripe

Comment

Working...
                  X