Organ in orbit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organ in orbit!

Got 'Roger Coulam Quartet' - Organ in orbit for a quid today!

Anyone have any knowledge on this? It must be *the* roger coulham - a typo perchance?

Its on cbs from '67 - its a tad easy hammond jazz but 'simba' is very groovy - 'Make 'em have it' is very cool hammond too.

Need to give it another listen now...Im gonna chart this me thinks!
    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Strange coincidence but I just got a copy of this too - I totally agree with Sermads choice of tracks and would add &quot;Shrimp Boats&quot; as a fave too. I&#39;m pretty sure it is THE Roger Coulam as in &quot;Hammond Stereo Sounds to Spoil You&quot;, Blue Mink and Ugly Custard - Chris Vulture could probably cinfirm for definite. Chris?
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

of course its THE Roger Coulam (i think thats the correct spelling???)..i must have charted that one about a year ago Sermad&#33;&#33;&#33; you&#39;re as bad as me for paying attention&#33;&#33;&#33; my faves are all the ones about his cat&#33;&#33;

Comment

talking of Coulam and his buddies...

i chanced upon the Blue Mink Live at the Talk of the Town LP recently...couple of right nice &#39;uns on it...amongst the extreme kak&#33;

a stumbling version of Whole Lotta Love and a Herbie instro chortlingly titled &#39;Aisle of Wight&#39; that is really quite smart...yup, the wedding march funked up&#33;...cant say &#39;banner man&#39; gets much needle time though&#33; oof&#33;&#33;&#33;

Comment

Ah but if you see Banner Man on 45 don&#39;t put it back. The flip, Mind Your Business, sees Alan Parker get pretty fuzzy without losing the groove. For a change.

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

sweet&#33;

where&#39;s the rest of the sauce with the &#39;Mink then?

anyone?

i read somewhere that they recorded &#39;Melting Pot&#39; for their own amusement during a break in the music for a young generation/ugly custard/hungry wolf session...and the rest, as they say...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (chrisvulture @ 21 May 2003,11:33)]where&#39;s the rest of the sauce with the &#39;Mink then?

anyone?
              One word.

Eyeballs

http://www.funk45.com/Index.asp?funk=music&amp;search=283&amp;cat=id

Enjoy.

Comment

I always meant to ask - I know on the sleeve of Ugly Custard it SAYS keyboards by Roger Coulam, but to my ears it sounds exactly like it&#39;s Hawkshaw playing. PLUS two of the tracks on the Ugly Custard LP appear on the Hungry Wolf album, which IS a Hawkshaw album?

And just to confuse matters even further, the two tracks on the Hungry Wolf LP are the same recordings as appear on KPM library LPs - Music For A Young Generation, I think... It&#39;s all too confusing by half.
                There MUST be a Hymns-A-Swingin' in this box...

Comment

I always find Blue Mink a bit frustrating - they should be great - I mean look who&#39;s in &#39;em - but more often than not they produce a load of old baaws&#33;

That said, the first LP (Melting Pot) has some cracking instrumentals on it by Parker / Flowers / Coulam which sound like the stuff they did for the Standard Libraries around the same time.

Also the track &quot;morning Dew&quot; is very funky and the self titled instro on the flip of the &quot;Melting Pot&quot; 45 is another fave&#33;

I think I&#39;ve got all the LPs (in fact I have a spare best of ... if anyone wants it) but I don&#39;t recognise that &quot;Eyeballs&quot; track is it 45 only?
                  "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (LDJB @ 21 May 2003,12:49)]I don&#39;t recognise that &quot;Eyeballs&quot; track is it 45 only?
                    I can&#39;t remember the name of the album but it did appear on an LP - the one with the sleeve designed by Hypgnosis.

Comment

Sorry to come in with a (slightly) unrelated question, but I was told once that The Underground&#39;s &#39;Beat Party&#39; LP was a Blue Mink related project as well, possibly (I&#39;m not sure about this) because the vocals were by Madeleine Bell...But as there are no credits whatsoever on the sleeve or label, I&#39;ve never managed to confirm or contradict any of this. Anyone know the story? Who&#39;s in the band?
                      a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Well, I have to admit, my knowledge of &#39;The Underground&#39; is limited to a brief listen I gave it in a shop in Aldershot, but I recognised Madeleine on vocals, and it&#39;s possible the rest of the Mink were on there too.

There were a couple of original compositions on the LP - can you give me the composer and publisher credits, and I&#39;ll see if I know anything.

Another Blue Mink side project - the theme from the 1970s adult education maths series &#39;Make It Count&#39;, hosted by Fred Harris. Written by Alan Parker, not funky, but I think it&#39;s dead catchy&#33;

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (Belson @ 21 May 2003,13:40)]
                          Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (LDJB @ 21 May 2003,12:49)]I don&#39;t recognise that &quot;Eyeballs&quot; track is it 45 only?
                          I can&#39;t remember the name of the album but it did appear on an LP - the one with the sleeve designed by Hypgnosis.
                          It&#39;s called &#39;Fruity&#39; if I remember correctly.

It also has a nice souly cut called something like &#39;I&#39;d like To Be With You&#39;
                          He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ 21 May 2003,16:01)]Well, I have to admit, my knowledge of &#39;The Underground&#39; is limited to a brief listen I gave it in a shop in Aldershot, but I recognised Madeleine on vocals, and it&#39;s possible the rest of the Mink were on there too.

There were a couple of original compositions on the LP - can you give me the composer and publisher credits, and I&#39;ll see if I know anything.
                            The only OG track is &#39;Beat Party&#39;, credited to Trench, &amp; published by Major Music (presumably related to Major Minor Records, who released the album), though there&#39;s another track I don&#39;t know called &#39;Can&#39;t Get It Into My Head&#39; credited to King (but this could well be another cover). The rest is all mod/soul covers - &#39;Mony Mony&#39;, &#39;Knock On Wood&#39;, &#39;Dance To The Music&#39;, &#39;Get Ready&#39; etc. Very well done, with enough spins on the (over)familiar tunes to give it a bit of character of its own.
                            a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (Hadrian Elephant @ 21 May 2003,17:16)]It&#39;s called &#39;Fruity&#39; if I remember correctly.

It also has a nice souly cut called something like &#39;I&#39;d like To Be With You&#39;
                              That&#39;s the fella.

Comment

Working...
                              X