Spitalfields record fair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spitalfields record fair

is the Spitalfields Book and Record Fair worth going to? also when is it? Google-ing says it's either the 3rd Wednesday of the month, or the last Wednesday. and is it the same place as the market on Sundays?

It's twice a month on Wednesdays but not sure when these fall. There's always an ad in Record Collector so I suggest you have a browse in the newsagents.

I think it's the same place as the Sunday market. Always meant to check it out but never got round to it..
    Endless Tripe

Comment

cheers!

Comment

Comment

It is on the 1st & 3rd Wednesday of each month (the 1st is a recent addition), supposedly running from 10 - 4.  I've only ever been down there at lunchtime, but I imagine you can rock up earlier.

It is not a bad fair, not huge (I'd guess around 20 or so dealers) but if you are local or in town on a Wednesday, worth wandering down to.

My most suprising moment there of late, was to find one Mr Keb Darge sitting behind a table with a box of 45s & a portable.  It turned out that he was helping out a mate sell a few records.  

He kindly helped me choose some nice tunes (& was happy to sell me his test pressing of a Stones Throw 7" for a fiver&#33...nothing too flashy though on my budget
          www.sliderecordshop.com

Comment

Yeah I go before work sometimes. Never really get much to be honest.
            www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

What are the bigger London record fairs ?

Though I&#39;ve been in the smoke for over 2 years, I tend to stick to the music n&#39;video exchange, the local car boots and charidee outlets.

Given that most of my meagre income gets blown on records, I suppose I should make an effort to get out to &#39;em every so often. . .

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (Viva Chiba @ Nov. 12 2004,21:27)]What are the bigger London record fairs ?

Though I&#39;ve been in the smoke for over 2 years, I tend to stick to the music n&#39;video exchange, the local car boots and charidee outlets.

Given that most of my meagre income gets blown on records, I suppose I should make an effort to get out to &#39;em every so often. . .
                The only one I ever bother with is the Kilburn one (first Sunday of the month), but then I colelct disco and it&#39;s particularly good for that there (Nick The Record, Chris Pure Pleasure and Gerry Rooney all go down there).
                http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

I used to have quite a bit of success at London Fairs many years ago when I was mad on Northern and people weren&#39;t as clued up as they seem to be now.

Nowadays, I don&#39;t bother on the assumption that being in London, everyone knows what everything is worth and there&#39;ll be too much competition for anything good anyway.

On the odd occasion I have tried I only tend to see the sort of things that turn up in the likes of MVE, Reckless and all the others, anyway.

I look out for them when I&#39;m up North though, particularly if they are a bit off the beaten track. A bit hit and miss, but those can be quite good.
                  Endless Tripe

Comment

The tuc fair can be good. the wembley fair in november is the biggest in the uk. its 2 days. thats good if you can get in early.
                    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (sermad @ Nov. 13 2004,13:13)]The tuc fair can be good. the wembley fair in november is the biggest in the uk. its 2 days. thats good if you can get in early.
                      I agree that Kilburn is pretty good if like me you are black music focused.

Unforturnately the TUC fair finished on 31st October..something to due with lower attendances &amp; increase in hiring the hall following its refurbishment.  

I was at Camden today &amp; picked a few hip-hop bits but nothing exciting...mainly doubles of stuff I have already, but I have never found it that great.

Ah well, only 2 weeks &#39;till Wembley.
                      www.sliderecordshop.com

Comment

Originally posted by ladyboygrimsby View Post
                        The only one I ever bother with is the Kilburn one (first Sunday of the month), but then I colelct disco and it's particularly good for that there (Nick The Record, Chris Pure Pleasure and Gerry Rooney all go down there).

Chris Pure Pleasure has just opened a little shop with a mate in Sydney Street in Brighton. It above a clothes shop. Can't remember the name of it i'm afraid but it had only been open a few days when i found it.

Derek

Comment

Working...
                        X