Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good jazz lp's

Hello Everybody

Lovely morning today wasn't it? Looks like it's getting a bit cold now though, so wrap up warm unless you want to catch a chill.

Aside from discussing the weather (which is always a good way to pass the time of day) I wondered if any of you could suggest some nice Jazz LP's for me to buy/listen to?

I have a pretty meagre Jazz collection, culled largely from car boot sales and random finds in second hand record shops, but after bunging some tracks from a few of my scratchy old jazz LP's on my Vulture Christmas mix, I have been digging out more jazz to listen to.

The stuff I'm enjoying at the moment are late 50's - late 60's jazz, vocal and instrumental. I'm afraid I wouldn't know Be Bop from a Flip Flop, so excuse my lack of knowledge as to what is modal, hard bop, etc etc

Basically if it is 50's/60's, not funky and not easy listening I seem to like it. (I'd put Stan Getz and a lot of the West Coast cool school in the easy listening bracket - sorry if you are a fan, but it's not my thing - although I do like Chet Baker.....)

Afro-Cuban is good too.....

I think that Post Bop is the stuff I'm after???????

Any recommendations?

Pointers as to what are the best Blue Note, Riverside, Verve etc releases are also most appreciated as I have bought the ones I have got on a very ad-hoc basis rather than seeking out particular titles.

Oh and I always enjoyed what they played in the Jazz Room at Southport before they stopped playing Jazz at the Jazz Room at Southport.

Confused yet?

To summarise: What are good non-funky Jazz LP's

I thank you.
    He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Blimey - so to keep it brief cos I'm off home in a minute.

Blue Note jazzy and soulful stuff -

Lee Morgan - Sidewinder
    Art Blakey - Moanin'
    Larry Young - Into somethin'
    Lee Morgan - Rumproller
    Hank Mobley - No room for squares
    Kenny Dorham - Una mas
    Wayne Shorter - Adams apple
    Duke Pearson - The right thing

etc etc

Stuff on Muse;

Dave Schnitter albums x 2
    Harold Vick - Commitment

Stuff on Cobblestone;

Neal Creque

.............soz dude, hometime
    !

Comment

of the mainstream 50s stuff, definitely check the Miles Davis Quintet sessions if you don't have them - Cookin', Steamin', Workin' etc.
      http://www.blaxploitation.com
      Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Check out Dudley Moore's Decca LPs of the mid-late 1960s for some beautiful, thoughtful and emotional piano trio jazz -

'The Other Side of The Dudley Moore Trio' (1969)
        'Genuine Dud' (1969)
        'The Dudley Moore Trio' (1969)

Also, check all Roy Budd's staright-ahead jazz LPs of the 1960s and '70s. IMHO, one of the greatest jazz pianists ever to come out of the UK.
        A leaping rocker with a strong mood, a moderate beat and a safari feel.

Comment

Just off the top of my head Hayd, there is a little Ozzie pressing which I was after for a bronze age and only very recently picked one up for cheap. Australia & All That Jazz Volume I on Cherry Pie, features the wonderfully named Errol Buddle on his bassoon [my instrument of choice]. You can read all about it here:

http://www.jazzgroove.com/selector/sandyevans.html

This is a fabulous LP filled with beautiful jazz cuts, but it kills me on the moody, moody modal "Possum" which was first aired over here by mister Peterson back in the day when he gave a shit. Top stuff and you should not pay more that a few quid although you gotta ship it across the world first!

I've checked eBay for a copy and there are'nt any right now but speak to the Ozzie heads on here and they'll fix you up I'm sure!

I reckon this could run and run Hayd so prepare for the long haul.
          it's time for some heartbeats

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (Cameron @ Nov. 16 2004,19:36)]Check out Dudley Moore's Decca LPs of the mid-late 1960s for some beautiful, thoughtful and emotional piano trio jazz -

'The Other Side of The Dudley Moore Trio' (1969)
            'Genuine Dud' (1969)
            'The Dudley Moore Trio' (1969)

Also, check all Roy Budd's staright-ahead jazz LPs of the 1960s and '70s. IMHO, one of the greatest jazz pianists ever to come out of the UK.
            as usual, cameron is right on the money.

one of my other favourites is "the enchanted isle" by the jack duff band. should hit the spot.

Comment

Any stuff by Herbie Mann is always good.
              Also more Blue Notes to look for are

Idle Moments - Grant Green
              Bluesnik - Jackie McLean
              Song for My Father - Horace Silver
              Whistle Stop - Kenny Dorham

Impulse are great for more "adventurous" jazz

Greek Cooking - Phil Woods
              The Sorcerer - Gabor Szabo

Cheers,

David S
              God bless Fatso.

Comment

If you wanted any Roy Budd (or if anyone fancies it) I picked up 'Pick Yourself Up' on Marble Arch the other week and I'm planning to trade. Presume it's not that rare or anything so just fancy something new and interesting in return...drop me a line if you're interested...
                http://jimcassius.blogspot.com

Comment

Miles David, "Live" and "Greatest Hits Vol 1" are two of my favourites....
                  Endless Tripe

Comment

Would recommend any Francy Boland / Kenny Clarke band stuff. The re-issues on Schema are excellent and great value for dough (The Sahib Shihab volume is wicked).

Johnny Griffin - Griff n' Bags (Schema RI)

Yuseff Lateef - Eastern Sounds - Prestige. (This has a UK release as well as a 2nd US press, so should be easily getable)

Dave Grusin - Kaledioscope - CBS

John Coltrane - African Brass - impulse

Loads more, Ill get back.
                    On a new tip get the Nicola Conte LP (or 12"'s) if you aint already.
                    BV
                    You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Comment

Sorry, got the dates wrong on the first two Dudley LPs -

'The Other Side of...' (1965)
                      'Genuine Dud' (1966)
                      A leaping rocker with a strong mood, a moderate beat and a safari feel.

Comment

If you have not come across them already, the Gilles Petereson Impressed 1 & 2 compilations (on Universal Jazz) covering some top class British 60s jazz.  The LPs come with some great inner sleeve notes, providing a lot of background info on the artists involved & sent me off in all sorts of directions.

OK yeah it is a compilation, but on the basis that the original albums each cost somewhere between £70 - £300, it is a good place to start
                        www.sliderecordshop.com

Comment

the quest - booker ervin, eric dolphy and ron carter.
                          my fave us jazz lp.
                          kraut rock ist nicht tot!
                          http://www.myspace.com/andyvotel
                          http://www.myspace.com/voteldesign

Comment

I would give my back teeth for those Frank Boland / Kenny Clarke kpm 'jazz convention' records. Sublime stuff.

I really dig the hamton hawes library 'anglo american jazz phase one'. Its wicked.

The peer jazz libraries are also very nice in places - There are 3. All very cheap.

www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

&quot;stolen moments&quot; by oliver nelson

Comment

Working...
                              X