Common records everyone should own

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common records everyone should own

After stuffing around on turntablelab's crate essentials section, it got me thinking about common records that everyone should have in their collection....I was thinking Al Green - Let's stay together, Marvin Gaye - What's goin on, Roy Ayers - everybody loves the sunshine and Stevie Wonder - Innervisions. What have I forgotten?

must admit I haven't got the Al Green - but I've never liked his stuff.
    We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Stevie Wonder - Songs on the key of life.
      www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Just to play the role of the morning grumpy bastard I HATE &#39;Songs In The Key Of Life&#39;. Overated overproduced pap. I also hate the idea that anyone should own anything. You should own what you like. I love Al Green though. &#39;I&#39;m Still In Love With You&#39; is waaaaaaay better than let&#39;s stay together.

Okay. Sorry about that. I feel much better now.

Comment

I&#39;m not an Al Green fan either.

I only own this one, but it&#39;s the definitive Al for me. Bit of a corker -

Comment

Gainsbourg - Melody Nelson

&#39;nuff said
            "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

songs is one of the best sunday chilling with the bird records ever. nuff said&#33;
              www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (Belson @ Nov. 17 2004,09:57)]I&#39;m not an Al Green fan either.

I only own this one, but it&#39;s the definitive Al for me. Bit of a corker -

I do like that version of Light My Fire... probably my favourite version actually...

Kind of surprised you don&#39;t dig the Green, John&#33; I rate the Willie Mitchell studio drum sound as some of the hardest ever... My fave Al Green cut has to be Strong as Death (Sweet as Love).

I agree on the Inner Visions... yeah, it&#39;s ok but that&#39;s as far as it goes. Innervisions is better IMO. If anyone mentions Superfly, I&#39;m gonna moan ha ha&#33; I&#39;m not into boring workouts about a drug dealer, hee hee&#33; Anyhow, his self-titled LP is a billion times better, hoo hoo&#33;

I totally agree with the Serge (my all time fave Lp) but does that count as common/well known, enough to be on the edge of mainstream audience awareness?

Common record that no one should be without: um, how about What&#39;s Going On? A truly beautiful LP with a strong message that probably everyone in the developed world must&#39;ve heard at some point...
                http://wakeupanddie.com
                http://weirdgearnyc.com
                http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Roy Ayers - everybody loves the sunshine lp
                  why do people like that lp ? I don&#39;t get it ....

he made much better stuff

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (Nick Cope @ Nov. 17 2004,12:25)]Kind of surprised you don&#39;t dig the Green, John&#33; I rate the Willie Mitchell studio drum sound as some of the hardest ever...
                    It&#39;s not Willie Mitchell I don&#39;t like - I love the Syl Johnson and Ann Peebles Hi stuff - it&#39;s just Al Green&#39;s voice and delivery&#33; Now Syl Johnson singing &#39;Take Me to the River&#39;, that&#39;s class&#33;
                    We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

what about james brown &#33;

why doesn&#39;t he get mentioned by the funk heads (cheap lp&#39;s and great tunes)

Comment

I guess because it&#39;s just a given?
                        http://wakeupanddie.com
                        http://weirdgearnyc.com
                        http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

The Sound of Music soundtrack has a version of ´My Favourite Things´which is quite nice.
                          Very common.
                          Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (Nick Cope @ Nov. 17 2004,12:25)]I agree on the Inner Visions... yeah, it&#39;s ok but that&#39;s as far as it goes. Innervisions is better IMO.
                            I prefer Innervisions myself..

Surely Curtis Mayfield&#39;s &#39;Superfly&#39; LP is well up there..

My actual fave Curtis LP (and recommendation for this list) is his 1975 &#39;There&#39;s No Place Like America Today&#39; LP, however unfortunately it&#39;s none too common, took me a fair old long time to find. Thoroughly wicked album though - go seek&#33;
                            Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

Tim Hardin 1
                              Tim Hardin 2
                              Marvin Gaye - Whats Going On
                              Paul Williams - Someday Man
                              Tim Buckley - Happy Sad
                              Stevie Wonder - Innervisions
                              Isley Brothers - Brother Brother Brother

Comment

Working...
                              X