• Colin Hero
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Parkz @ Nov. 26 2004,08:47)]
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Hadrian Elephant @ Nov. 26 2004,08:25)]
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Parkz @ Nov. 26 2004,07:18)]Fission/king of swing
    Bloody hell, there's a blast from the past! Did you buy this for nostalgic reasons? It was very poppy when it was released as I recall. Didn't Fission go on to become the Subsonic 2 or is my memory deceiving me?
    Definitely  for nostalgic reasons but I’ve spun it twice this morning and its surprisingly enjoyable (the novelty factor I guess). Didn’t know they became the Subsonic 2, that’s interesting.
    Funnily enough I dug this out for a nostalgic listen a couple of weeks ago but it didn't sound too good to my ears unlike their version of 'Young Guns' ... I'll get me coat. I too wondered what became of them and it seems that Andre Shapps went on to work with Big Audio Dynamite but I couldn't find out what Paul Howard did after Fission. I'm pretty sure they didn't have anything to do with Subsonic 2 though as the records I have by them are credited to Brown/Morley.

Leave a comment:

• Parkz
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Hadrian Elephant @ Nov. 26 2004,08:25)]
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Parkz @ Nov. 26 2004,07:18)]Fission/king of swing
    Bloody hell, there's a blast from the past! Did you buy this for nostalgic reasons? It was very poppy when it was released as I recall. Didn't Fission go on to become the Subsonic 2 or is my memory deceiving me?
    Definitely for nostalgic reasons but IÂ’ve spun it twice this morning and its surprisingly enjoyable (the novelty factor I guess). DidnÂ’t know they became the Subsonic 2, thatÂ’s interesting.

Leave a comment:

• Parkz
    replied
    Divine one:

Thanks again for the for the run down on the record shops, I had chance to check:

Mixed Up (very friendly staff)
    Oxfam (very good I thought)
    Missing records (just a check flick through the racks because they were closing)
    Avalanche (not too good)
    RelicÂ’s (dusty&#33
    Defuct (good for re-issues I guess).
    + various charities around town.

Only bought 3 records but there were all dead cheap from Oxfam:

Fastbreak OST (Rasco sample)

Hits Around Europe/The band of the Royal Air force
    (seriously good track ‘Pop Fugue’ library style tune complete with drum break)

Sight and Sound (fragments of fear).

Side notes:

Tried Haggis for the first time, nice.
    The Roots (at the academy) were off the hook. So was Kanye the following night.
    Checked the roots after party (@ sub-Club.?uest love on the decks) and the Kanye after party at (cube).

On the way home I stopped off in Exeter and had a seriously good dig (all records about £2-3 a piece), and all OG’s.

Pete Rock/They Reminisce over you.
    Tuff Crew/Back to wreck shop
    Marely Marl/Marly Mark Scratch (original pressing! £2.50)
    Lord Finesse & Mike smooth/Funky Technician
    Marley Marl in Control Vol 1
    The Syndicate/Coming through
    Fission/king of swing
    Burial proceedings of 3 nights (music of life)
    Intelligent Hoodlum/st
    Tim Dog/Penicillin on wax
    Mix Master Spade/Genius is back
    Digital underground /sex packets
    Showbiz and AG/Runaway slave
    Jayson Lindh/Cous Cous
    Duck Jordan/two lovers (we had to tear this muthafu*cka up/ice cube)

Leave a comment:

• The Divine One
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Parkz @ Nov. 22 2004,18:30)]Are there any good bars/clubs  playing funk/beaks/hip hop etc on a Tuesday or Wednesday night?
    Off the top of my head there's a bar with a mod night on Wednesdays and it's in the Brunswick Cellars on Sauchiehall Street (opposite the McClellan Galleries), mind you the DJ is often too inebriated to finish the night - so it must be good...

Don't know where you're going to hear any "beaks" on a Wednesday night. How do you turn a duck into a soul star etc etc.    

Sorry, I'll get me coat...

Leave a comment:

• Parkz
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (The Divine One @ Nov. 22 2004,18:04)]Who's Kanye West and where is he/she/they playing?
    HeÂ’s a producer (for the likes of Jay-z) and (rather poor) MC, bu he does have his moments.
    Kenye is playing at The Academy on Wednesday night but its completely sold out hence the second date on Friday.
    HeÂ’s not really my cup of tea but IÂ’m like some of his songs and since IÂ’m in Glasgow that night (Wednesday) it a be a shame not to go. IÂ’m going to go down a little early and try to get a ticket outside (at a vastly exaggerated price I guess).

Are there any good bars/clubs playing funk/beaks/hip hop etc on a Tuesday or Wednesday night?

Thanks for the lowdown on the record shops.

Leave a comment:

• The Divine One
    replied
    Nope, no records in Glasgow etc etc

Mixed Up Records in the west end is probably the best second-hand shop, it's down a wee lane called Otago Lane, off Otago Street, off Gibson Street. Pretty small, but I rarely leave empty handed (probably the reason everyone else does...) Quite close to that is the Oxfam Record Shop on Byres Road, which occasionally has the odd good collection.

Other than that, there's Missing Records in the city centre (Oswald Street, near Central Station) but it's not great these days. Most of the action happens at 5am at the carboot on Sunday mornings.

Who's Kanye West and where is he/she/they playing?

Leave a comment:

• LDJB
    replied
    Mr D - yer on.

Leave a comment:

• Parkz
    started a topic Glasgow

Glasgow

I’m (unexpectedly) off to Glasgow tomorrow for ‘The Roots’ gig and I have all of the following day for a bit of digging.
    So if anyone could give me advice on where to find some nice vinyl spots that would be cool, and anything else that I should check for in Glasgow as I’v never been there before. Actually Iv never been further north that Alton Towers  (and that’s not very north is it).

Also if anyone reading this by any slim chance has a spare ticket for the ‘Kanye West’ show in Glasgow on the 24th please let me know.

Cheers
Working...
X