Venice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venice

Just back from here, which has possibly the least records of any location on earth (not that we looked very hard) so no tips of that sort to share, but *was* wondering (long shot, I know) if anyone on here could supply a tape or DVD burn or something of the 4 part BBC2 series that ran a couple of months back. Caught the last one before departing, but wouldn't mind checking the others...Well, you never know what, besides records, folks on here might be taking an interest in, so worth a shot...
    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Welcome back mate.

No joy on the documentary, but just thought I'd let you know about the new Oxfam Music/Books place in West Bridgford. I have never seen such a fantastic purpose-built charity shop! Really well fitted out and it must have cost a fortune. Even got a listening room with 2 x Rega Planar P3s, comfy seats, headphones - the lot!!

The vinyl selection wasn't up to much, but there's loads of CDs too and stacks of books about music.

And a pretty American girl working there.

Oxfam have clearly got a whole heap of cash to sling about, no wonder they have to charge £3.99 for any old Buck's Fizz LP.
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Have to check that out, then - never really gone into West Bridgford much, to be honest (even though it's not far to walk from here) but did find a few Bollywood things in one of the charities there when I last got over there (must be 6 months ago now). My digging's been reduced lately to the Cattle Market/Colwick at the weekend, and the odd rummage in Rob's or the city centre charities when I'm passing, which is less often than has been known. Given the returns, I'm fairly certain I've not been missing much...maybe the Vallance Sound Archive in Aslockton tells a different story!

Still, who needs records when you're being ferried past Casanova's, Mozart's and god knows who else's Moorish palaces under the stars, eh?
      a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Aw, you can keep your waterlogged Covent Garden mate! I'd be too scared to go, forever keeping my eye out for dwarves in red duffel coats.

Town was alright last week, I found:

Back Door - 'S/T'
        Locomotiv GT - 'Bummm!' (how could you NOT buy an LP called Bummm! ?)
        Miroslav Vitous - 'S/T' (awful)
        Curtiss Maldoon - 'S/T' (some good stuff)
        New York Rock Ensemble LP with some Greek bloke which is a bit dodgy

In Grantham I found:

Philly Armada - 'S/T' (basically a DeWolfe LP by McDonald and Rae that's a slice of Philly cheese and issued on Contempo)
        Sid Phillips/Simon Sound - Two Generations
        Vanoni - Hits (and an anagram of 'hits' is.....)
        Children Talking - excerpts from a 60s BBC series, bought so I could hear what the Nottingham kids were on with. The boy complains that he doesn't like weddings cos there's too many girls there?!!!

Have faith and keep looking.
        Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] ]New York Rock Ensemble
          There's a good one called 'Roll Over' - nice funky rock - the couple before that are a bit dodgy though.
          "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (Benicio Del Toffo @ Nov. 24 2004,10:58)]New York Rock Ensemble LP with some Greek bloke which is a bit dodgy
            Saw this one in Rob's - rock/classical stuff based on Theodorakis tunes, the bloke who did Never On Sunday, I think. Wasn't sure about it, but looked intriguing...

As for the canals, I reckon they might be introduced in Notts to replace the tram. It'd raise the stakes on the local moron fight clubs a bit, anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (Benicio Del Toffo @ Nov. 25 2004,09:58)]Back Door - 'S/T'
              This the 3 piece sax, bass drums combo with a snow capped cottage on the cover. If so its great. Or at least I really like it.
              Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] ]Saw this one in Rob's - rock/classical stuff based on Theodorakis tunes, the bloke who did Never On Sunday, I think. Wasn't sure about it, but looked intriguing...
                If 'intriguing' is Venetian for 'shite', then yeah.

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] ]This the 3 piece sax, bass drums combo with a snow capped cottage on the cover. If so its great. Or at least I really like it.
                The very fellow, as sampled by the Beasties ('Stand Together'? - something like that, I know it's on Check Your Head anyway). Quite a good LP actually. That bass sound takes some getting used to though.
                Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Working...
                X