5 for '04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 for '04

OK I know it's maybe slightly premature (...alright - I'm bored) but howzabout a top five spins / finds / faves of 2004?

Here's mines:

1. Ian Green - Revelation

2. Quator - Play Girl

3. Various - Progressive Pop

4. Gi Gi - Daddy Love

5. Sandie Shaw - Reviewing the Situation
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Er, how many of those were released in 04?
    http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Ok - you pednat - top five spins / finds / faves of 2004 that were not necessarily released in that year
      "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

I love these kind of threads, fave tunes of your year. I'm gonna give this some seeeerious thought and edit this post with 05 for 04!
        http://wakeupanddie.com
        http://weirdgearnyc.com
        http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

5!! Blimey.

I've currently got my lists down to 60.

Dunno if I can go with just 5.

Comment

I'm not sure I can make 5!

I haven't bought a lot of new music this year and that worries me, as I believe when you lose your passion for new music, you are less passionate about music full stop. That's my personal belief BTW, don't shoot me down in flames if you haven't purchased a new release since 1987.

Alice Russell - Under The Munka Moon LP
            Brandy - Talk About Our Love
            Izanami feat. Soil & Pimp - Sol
            Jill Scott – Golden
            Sebastien Tellier – La Ritournelle

Aldo Vanucci's 'Everythings Alright' was re-released this year, but that's from 2003 so I'm not sure it counts.

IÂ’d like to have bought these, but they are not out yet:
            Omar – It's So
            Bugz In The Attic – Booty La La (not out on 12” anyway)

I enjoyed these live a helluva lot more than their records:
            Amp Fiddler
            Peven Everett
            He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (Hadrian Elephant @ Nov. 25 2004,18:16)]I'm not sure I can make 5!

I haven't bought a lot of new music this year and that worries me, as I believe when you lose your passion for new music, you are less passionate about music full stop. That's my personal belief BTW, don't shoot me down in flames if you haven't purchased a new release since 1987.

Alice Russell - Under The Munka Moon LP
              Brandy - Talk About Our Love
              Izanami feat. Soil & Pimp - Sol
              Jill Scott – Golden
              Sebastien Tellier – La Ritournelle

Aldo Vanucci's 'Everythings Alright' was re-released this year, but that's from 2003 so I'm not sure it counts.

IÂ’d like to have bought these, but they are not out yet:
              Omar – It's So
              Bugz In The Attic – Booty La La (not out on 12” anyway)

I enjoyed these live a helluva lot more than their records:
              Amp Fiddler
              Peven Everett
              Is that Omar tune the one that's sort of afro-cuban? Quite odd, but brilliant as well. If it is, Rampage have been playing it on their 1Xtra show.

I'm with on the Bugz and Jill Scott, too.

Plus: Scott Grooves - The Journey (head and shoulders the best house record of 2004 for me)
              Snoop Dogg - Drop It Like It's Hot
              Rima - Subdued (Amp Fiddler Mix)
              Talib Kweli - Broken Glass

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (Hadrian Elephant @ Nov. 25 2004,18:16)]I believe when you lose your passion for new music, you are less passionate about music full stop.
                I'm afraid I'm going to have to shoot you down in flames...

I'm struggling to think of 5 new records (and by new I don't count kid-on retro funk 45s) I've even bought in 2004, let alone whittle a selection down to 5. And I'm probably more passionate about music than I've ever been. I just happen to think 98% of new music is shite, and I'd be better spending my time listening to 60s or 70s music where only 67% of it was shite...
                Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (The Divine One @ Nov. 25 2004,18:40)]
                  Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Hadrian Elephant @ Nov. 25 2004,18:16)]I believe when you lose your passion for new music, you are less passionate about music full stop.
                  I'm afraid I'm going to have to shoot you down in flames...    

I'm struggling to think of 5 new records (and by new I don't count kid-on retro funk 45s) I've even bought in 2004, let alone whittle a selection down to 5. And I'm probably more passionate about music than I've ever been. I just happen to think 98% of new music is shite, and I'd be better spending my time listening to 60s or 70s music where only 67% of it was shite...  
                  I'm sorry, but I agree with Hadrian there. If there really aren't five tunes you thought were any cop that might be simply that you're bored of current sounds or you don't get it or you think old stuff is better, but I really do believe that if you stop embracing new music, you end shrinking into an ever dimishing circle and your tastes contract as a result.

It's probably the case that 90% of everything is shit and always has been, but the point is surely to whittle it down to the good stuff? That's harder with new material because you don't have the benefit of many years' reflection, so it's down to you to make value judgments at the time, which is extremely hard to do. Old music is much simpler because so much of the crap has been long forgotten and you've got lots of guides (friends, books, websites etc.) to show you where the good stuff is.

Comment

have to go home and have a look, but a few off the top of my head:

Sebastien Tellier - La Ritournelle 12" (as mentioned above, although is from 2003 according to Discogs?)
                    Emo feat Daddy Ous - I Want My Love 12"
                    Sharon Jones - This Land Is Your Land 45 (a side is good too, but i love this track - has there been a soul/funk version of this before?)
                    Joanna Newsom CD
                    Kelis - Trick Me (am a sucker for a reggae rhythm, and there seem to be a few nice reggae-ish things about at the moment, like the reissue of Freddy Cruger 'Running From Love' 12&quot
                    was the 2nd Red Astaire on GAMM out this year or last?

err... need to go and think now, have bought a lot more than that this year.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] ]Sharon Jones - This Land Is Your Land 45 (a side is good too, but i love this track - has there been a soul/funk version of this before?)
                      I know it's a cover, or is that really obvious??
                      amazing tune anyhoo!!

top 5 tho.......

back soon!
                      http://www.facebook.com/weekendsun
                      http://soundcloud.com/weekend-sun
                      http://www.myspace.com/weekendsun

Comment

Right, I'm gonna keep to stuff that was released this year but I'm struggling cos it ain't been much.

1) The Bees - Free The Bees
                        Don't take the piss, if this was from 1970 a lot of you on here would own it and would probably have paid £100 on ebay!

2) Kings of Convenience - Riot on An Empty Street
                        Same as above.

3) Zero 7 - When it Falls
                        I have a lot of time for this group. Nice follow-up.

4) Insight - The Blast Radius
                        So I've gone from listening to Public Enemy in the 80's to MOR Hip Hop in the 00's. At least it ain't produced by Timbaland or the Neptunes and actually uses samples. Who'd have thought?

5) MF Doom - MM Food
                        Still awaiting my copy from the US but I'm putting it in here anyway. I maybe sadly mistaken but I haven't heard any bad Doom stuff yet.

I'll do a list with fave buys of the year later.
                        "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

as far as new albums go:

The Earlies 'These were the Earlies' - and the best gig of the year too.

Joanna Newsom

Gravenhurst mini-lp

Black Keys 'Rubber Factory'

Black Grass LP

I'll have to think about singles, and as for new 'old' stuff....hmm!
                          We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (john stapleton @ Nov. 25 2004,19:55)]Joanna Newsom
                            Oooh yeah!! How fantastic is that album.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ Nov. 25 2004,18:48)]It's probably the case that 90% of everything is shit and always has been, but the point is surely to whittle it down to the good stuff? That's harder with new material because you don't have the benefit of many years' reflection, so it's down to you to make value judgments at the time, which is extremely hard to do. Old music is much simpler because so much of the crap has been long forgotten and you've got lots of guides (friends, books, websites etc.) to show you where the good stuff is.
                              where are the people that realy experement with musique and sounds these days..

and I don't mean some people just sampling or twichin some button on a vintage "emu" synth.

where are the people that explore new types of fusion between different styles ..

people that believed in creatin new instruments and tryin to completly different..

We have every group now singing over a breakbeat or a neptunes style production .... what's creative about that.

hip-hop is becoming a parody ...
                              pop is gettin produced by top producer just to get called good
                              even my beloved jazz is gettin worse (wantin to sound like the 60's again)

forget samplers do something else please....

sorry if I sound like an old fart (but where are the janko nilovic, estrady , manset, geminani , umiliani's , de roubaix, ..... of these last years )

Comment

Working...
                              X