Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sales of new seven inches up again

Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]sales of traditional 7" singles were up for the 11th quarter in a row, with sales topping one million in the year to September - an increase of 74.8%.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...ic/4044303.stm

Album sales are up too proving that mp3s aren't stopping us 'consumers' giving our money to corporations who truly love music and will use that money to sign the most talented creative deserving artists making sure they get superb deals so that they are fairly paid for the music they make. Thank God!

Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Blighty @ Nov. 26 2004,10:32)]Album sales are up too proving that mp3s aren't stopping us 'consumers' giving our money to corporations who truly love music and will use that money to sign the most talented creative deserving artists making sure they get superb deals so that they are fairly paid for the music they make. Thank God!
    Sure about that?

Sure it's not going to be spent on mainstream junk like Dido (as pictured in the feature) and suchlike?

The struggling innovative artist will have some sort of attention but how much is still up in the air. A&R guys of the majors at any rate still looking for the next big hit to cram money into, way before our type of guy would get a sniff.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] ]Sure about that?

Sure it's not going to be spent on mainstream junk like Dido (as pictured in the feature) and suchlike?

The struggling innovative artist will have some sort of attention but how much is still up in the air. A&R guys of the majors at any rate still looking for the next big hit to cram money into, way before our type of guy would get a sniff.
      You'll be telling me there's no Santa Claus next.

It was a joke. I thought that was obvious but it is still early (sort of) so I'll let you off.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (Hadrian Elephant @ Nov. 26 2004,10:57)]Most independent record store owners/employees I speak to say sales are dire at present and have been sliding for a few years.

I suppose there are success stores, such as Piccadilly, however the bulk of their sales must come from their website. Would they be doing so well if they only relied on store sales?
        I think cut price CDs in supermarkets have had a big effect. Definitely online sales too. I buy most of my new stuff from places like NormanRecords.com because it means I don't have to order obscure seven inchs at HMV and wait two weeks for them to arrive.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (Blighty @ Nov. 26 2004,10:58)]It was a joke. I thought that was obvious but it is still early (sort of) so I'll let you off.
          No, it's a good point to make, mate - I didn't even know about the trend you posted up, and I work in it 24/7.

Almost seems like the industry are trying to hush it up.

We can but live in hope, and the sales thingy is a faint, faint glimmer.

.........it is so!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (Blighty @ Nov. 26 2004,10:58)]It was a joke. I thought that was obvious but it is still early (sort of) so I'll let you off.

"Dear Mr Elephant

I'm so glad you enjoyed my sales figures and your reply was just great!

In case you can't tell, I'm being s-a-r-c-a-s-t-i-c. You stink! You are a senile buck-toothed old mummy with bony girl arms and you smell like an elephant's butt!"

abridged from H.Simpson 'Blood Feud'
            He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] ]You are a senile buck-toothed old mummy with bony girl arms and you smell like an elephant's butt!
              Some of Bart and Homer's finest work.

I think it was last year that vinyl sales rose for the first time since the advent of CDs. There seems to be more and more being stocked in places like HMV and I'm certainly encountering more and more fellow rummagers when I'm out searching for old vinyl nuggets. It's very noticable in areas that have a high student population. People that grew up on CDs seem to be increasingly interested in vinyl. It's interesting because it was the dancier side of things that kept vinyl alive in the Nineties and now it's moved over to rock. Especially with seven inches. Obviously funk (new and old) too. Even hip hop.

Comment

Working...
              X