Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big chill

Tonight...

And tickets for next year are on sale already.  
    You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ Nov. 26 2004,15:33)]Tonight...

And tickest for next year are on sale already.  
      are we gonna get a VV double decker bus and all go to this together.

Seriously, I&#39;m up for this next one - lets get organised &#33;&#33;&#33;

Comment

How about we pitch it to the BC guys somehow that we should have our own tent? Be a feature or summat.

I mean, it&#39;s not like we haven&#39;t got the pedigree between us - and we&#39;ve got 2 and half years behind us in the Fresh Brillo stakes?

Or is that just taking the piss, Les?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (Belson @ Nov. 26 2004,16:25)]Or is that just taking the piss, Les?

Nope, that&#39;s a top idea Greg and something Andy and I have idly discussed on more than one occasion. You and Bill have the connects - how we take it further?

Apart from that, I&#39;m well up for it this/next year, now that I know what to expect... A Vulture contingent would be great&#33;&#33;&#33;

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Ok then mate - I&#39;m just out the door for the weekend.

I&#39;ll need to know exactly who&#39;s in/up for it ast least (in theory) so that I can speak to the dude at BC.

Who knows if it&#39;ll work but if we were to get the likes of Doko, Boney, Grimsby, Lord Stapleton, Chrreystones, Andy Smith, Licourice Soul, Soundly Beaten, 7Hills etc as well as everybody else involved somehow, then I think we&#39;ld stand a good chance of putting together a decent pitch to the management.

Feel free to support it, or batten it down - I probably won&#39;t see my &#39;puter again until Monday so chocks away, chaps&#33;

I&#39;ll have no problem at all in at least pitching it and asking the question to BC management if there&#39;s enough interest.

G

Comment

sounds like a great idea but would it only be for the &#39;name&#39; djs amongst us or just those who&#39;ve played at Brillo? Would you be giving other djs a look in or maybe that would be unworkable once word is out - given that anyone can enter the forums?
              www.myspace.com/usofaudio
              www.myspace.com/detectivesofperspective
              www.detectivesofperspective.com/

Comment

I&#39;ve spoken to Pete and Katrina about this already and believe me, it would have to be astonishingly well put together.
                They get the &quot;me and a few mates were thinking of playing next year&#39;s BC&quot; thing about every three minutes, more when out and about. I had a nice chat with Pete a few weeks ago and he seemed interested in the fact that we are fairly well organised as well as upfront about representing the difference, ie. music outside as opposed to formulaic bullshit everybody else is flogging. Brillo live will not be enuf to put us on their map however. We need to demonstrate that we have a broad and international fellowship [you lot out there] and a rosta of REGULAR gigs, preferably somewhere cosmopolitan [I know this seems funny, but the BC really is a product of various regional emigres]. We could consider our next nine months VERY carefully. We know we have the music, I think that&#39;s obvious. I think Pete knew that too. We need large scale exposure, our moniker all over the mags, like Time Out and the like and a UK wide activity. So basically, anytime anybody on this forum plays out, you are representing&#33;&#33;&#33; I gotta go now, but we should keep on planet earth with this if we are gonna take this further.
                Remember, BC are all aobut visual not just audio. This cannot be underestimated. I have two sets of mates who have massively well established private parties going back six, seven years ago with a database of three hundred followers and they were turned down on the fact that they were just about the music. Last year they wanted something very different from just another tent. Afterall, they do not wanna be the next Glasto with too many stages all doing the same gig. Could Mr. Hopkinson contribute here, I know he has already at Eastnor? Basically, the idea is too damn sound. We just need a few minds down on the ground on this. You can count me in to do whatever it takes to get this sucker off the ground cos belive me, last year Serms, Rich and I were just laughing at how ripe the atmosphere was for a full-scale vulture lockdown.

And no, it wasnt just the psychedelics. Was it?
                it's time for some heartbeats

Comment

When does the BC take place again?

I&#39;ll be promoting the HF&amp;S LP around April onwards, putting on a sort of soul revue with bands and DJs as part of a little tour, with Acid Jazz behind it for securing decent venues etc. It should be getting exposure by then hopefully, reviews etc - I have some radio shows lined up... Something to maybe add to the mix?

Were you all talking about the posibility of a tent type thing? Like Greg said, a pretty decent selection could be pulled together for it. We&#39;re not just talking about a proposal from one collective, like the guys Andy mentioned. It could be expanded to encompass a whole range of things... can&#39;t help with the visuals though.
                  http://wakeupanddie.com
                  http://weirdgearnyc.com
                  http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

I&#39;d love to be involved in something like this if I&#39;m in the country then (I&#39;ve got a sabbatical from work from April to September and will be teaching diving in Thailand as well as going on the LIons tour in NZ.) Are the dates fixed yet??

Comment

I&#39;m sure I&#39;ve had this discussion with various VV people before...and I&#39;m sure that there are enough people with enough fingers in enough pies to be able to pool resources to pull this off (cue Rich).

I&#39;m no name, but I&#39;d be happy to assist with any organisation required..... time to roll out MS Project *again*
                      Matt Hero

Comment

Eh? I&#39;ve been putting on weight but I haven&#39;t been near that many pies...  

Next year&#39;s date is Friday 5th to Sunday 7th August (sorry Mark&#33. This idea is a great one, but we do need a proper plan, and we need to act on it. As Andy said, the BC organisers must undoubtedly get bored silly by countless requests to play from all quarters. So we need to a) convince them that we are serious, b) prove that we offer them something different to their other bookings and c) deliver. We need to contribute to the party.

We also need someone to coordinate this - soomeone who knows what the Big Chill is about, who can speak to the organisers and who can organise us. Greg, Bill or Andy would seem to be obvious candidates (or all three even) assuming they&#39;re up for it? And, seeing as we&#39;ll need to &#39;brand&#39; ourselves, under what banner should we approach this? Would the Vulture boys want to lend their support (it&#39;d be a great opportunity for that VV knees up we keep proposing)? What about Brillo (I know this is a pretty London-centric suggestion - although we&#39;re not an exclusive club   )

And, as Andy said, we need more emphasis on other aspects than just the music. It would be great if Mr Hopkinson would be prepared to contribute to the visuals (we know how good you guys are at this) but who else?

Keep the thoughts and ideas coming...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (Nick Cope @ Nov. 26 2004,17:32)]I&#39;ll be promoting the HF&amp;S LP around April onwards, putting on a sort of soul revue with bands and DJs as part of a little tour, with Acid Jazz behind it for securing decent venues etc. It should be getting exposure by then hopefully, reviews etc - I have some radio shows lined up...  Something to maybe add to the mix?
                          That&#39;s great news Nick&#33;

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (united states of audio @ Nov. 26 2004,17:00)]sounds like a great idea but would it only be for the &#39;name&#39; djs amongst us or just those who&#39;ve played at Brillo? Would you be giving other djs a look in or maybe that would be unworkable once word is out - given that anyone can enter the forums?
                            I think that if anyone has a chance of getting this of the ground it will have to be with the known names.

If I am at an event and have the choice of a tent where I knew of the DJ&#39;s, or one full of people I&#39;d never heard of, I&#39;d go with the former.

Which is one of the reasons why I will not/do not want to suggest my playing records there (aside from the fact that I&#39;m not a DJ, don&#39;t have a residency and have never contributed towards any VV associated events such as the Tanners &amp; Brillo. Apart from that I am an ideal choice)

I know of many &#39;unknown&#39; names on this board who are great DJ&#39;s, however the Big Chill is a commercial event that people pay good money to go and attend. They already seem to have enough well known acts/DJ&#39;s wanting to play there, so a tent full of people who post on an obscure internet message board will not cut the mustard there.

This is not me putting anyone here down, just the reality of the situation as I see it.
                            He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

Hmm, know what you&#39;re saying Hayd but I&#39;m not sure I&#39;d agree. I certainly wouldn&#39;t want to be there if we weren&#39;t adding something, but I think the whole ethos of the Big Chill is openmindedness and the &#39;demographic&#39; (ugh&#33 seems a little more sussed than your average Glastobury, V or Reading punter. There&#39;s plenty on the bill that most people wouldn&#39;t have a scooby about - me included - but the point is to open your ears and sample something different, as well as enjoying the ever reliable names.

Maybe it isn&#39;t worth wasting our time over, or just maybe it is worth making a proper effort and letting the organisers decide if we cut the mustard.

Comment

Working...
                              X