Ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebay

has anyone else received an email from Ebay saying that you need to update your 'Billing' records? It looks a bit suspicious to me... can anyone confirm that this is fake, or where to check on Ebay about these sort of things?
    Official Old School UK Hip Hop T-Shirts available at www.stylewarrior.co.uk

I got one a few days ago.My rule is ALWAYS ignore the email, but then go into your account through your usual means (NEVER follow their link) and check everything's ok. It always is.
    http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Absolutely fake.

I'm registered to ebay via my work email address, and I've been sent 'account suspension' notices to my hotmail addy.

Funny that - I've never used my hotmail addy for any ebay correspondence ever.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ Dec. 01 2004,08:16)]I got one a few days ago.My rule is ALWAYS ignore the email, but then go into your account through your usual means (NEVER follow their link) and check everything's ok. It always is.
        Agree with this totally. I got one saying my account would be suspended in 72 hours if I didn;t update but I'd been away for longer than that and funnily enough there was nothing wrong with it.
        Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

I did click the link in the email... but then closed the browser window without filling in any form fields (they wanted me to log in to my ebay account) but the url address looked very fishy...
          Official Old School UK Hip Hop T-Shirts available at www.stylewarrior.co.uk

Comment

You'd think ebay would make it a policy not to include links for easy payment in their emails and instead advise you to do it through their site... That way there would never be any confusion, if they hammered the message. Couldn't seem 'em doing that though.
            http://wakeupanddie.com
            http://weirdgearnyc.com
            http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

If you're not sure you can just type in some random bollocks or (better still) abuse into whatever form they give you and if it's accepted then it's a fake.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (Blighty @ Dec. 01 2004,11:24)]If you're not sure you can just type in some random bollocks or (better still) abuse into whatever form they give you and if it's accepted then it's a fake.
                Won't this just identify your e-mail address to the perpetrators as working, resulting in you receiving even more bogus and junk mails?

I think the best policy is as per Bill's reply, ignore/delete them all and check out your account through the ebay site in the normal way..
                Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (vibra @ Dec. 01 2004,11:59)]
                  Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Blighty @ Dec. 01 2004,11:24)]If you're not sure you can just type in some random bollocks or (better still) abuse into whatever form they give you and if it's accepted then it's a fake.
                  Won't this just identify your e-mail address to the perpetrators as working, resulting in you receiving even more bogus and junk mails?

I think the best policy is as per Bill's reply, ignore/delete them all and check out your account through the ebay site in the normal way..
                  Good point. I hadn't though of that. Forward them to [email protected] too. I always do this.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (Blighty @ Nov. 30 2004,13:16)]Forward them to [email protected] too. I always do this.
                    This is the best way to ensure you're not ignoring/deleting valid messages, too, as they reply quickly to let you know it wasn't sent by them. Though as Nick commented, if it DOES ask for you to put log in info through a link, it IS fake: ebay (or paypal, or your bank or whoever) won't do this: if it's for real, you'll be asked to access the site by the usual route and do it all there...
                    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Working...
                    X