Mmm....soup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mmm....soup

I just had a nice bowl of Heinz Tomato soup. A classic evergreen. The 'What's Going On' of soups if you like but without the political spin or Marvin going about how his hair is long (look in a mirror, Marvin). So what fine soups do people recommend on testicle shrinking days like today.

I really like Seafood Chowder ('it's not shhowderr, it chowder' etc..) although it could be quite easily classified as a stew.

Of your more trad soups I tend to favour Baxters Lentil.
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

home-made asparagus soup is hard to beat. also, stilton and leek is nice.

both with a nice chunk of "open university" soda bread, of course.

Comment

Used to do a few home mades myself in the days when i had a bit more time on my hands.

But for convenience, like mr b., i would favour a tin of heinz tomato with thick sliced white bread (the kind that comes sliced). folowed up with a packet of salt and vinegar crisps and a nice sleep.
        Endless Tripe

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (wooly @ Dec. 01 2004,14:31)]home-made asparagus soup is hard to beat. also, stilton and leek is nice.

both with a nice chunk of "open university" soda bread, of course.

Now that's what I'm talking about..

Also check for this cheeky little spinach number too - I suggest a cheese accompaniment of your choice:

Ingredients
          2 tbsp olive oil
          145g/5oz fresh spinach leaves
          1 garlic clove, finely chopped
          350ml/12fl oz vegetable stock
          55ml/2fl oz double cream
          freshly ground black pepper

Method
          1. Heat the oil in a medium sauté pan.
          2. Sauté the spinach until just wilted.
          3. Stir in the garlic for 30 seconds.
          4. In a liquidiser, blend the spinach with the stock and cream and season.
          5. Serve.

Word!
          Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

I had some really incredible stilton soup somewhere. I think it was at a restaurant I used to work at. Wherever it was I want more.

Comment

soup is good food. and here's the soda bread recipe i was on about...

the perfect accompaniment!

http://www.open2.net/everwondered_fo..._recipes05.htm

word indeed!

Comment

I was in Boston a few years ago and sampled Garlic soup - really quite a nice mellow taste to it. We were served by a chap who looked and sounded like Greg Proops,who asked when we ordered coffee:

"Would you be wanting cow-juice with that?"
                Now this!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (son of stan @ Dec. 01 2004,14:45)]Used to do a few home mades myself in the days when i had a bit more time on my hands.

But for convenience, like mr b., i would favour a tin of heinz tomato with thick sliced white bread (the kind that comes sliced). folowed up with a packet of salt and vinegar crisps and a nice sleep.
                  Crisps are strictly a starter as far as I'm concerned.

Mind you I am not a fan of crisps and have described Cheese & Onion crisps as one of the worlds most effective contraceptives that stays within the doctrine of the Catholic church.
                  Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

yeah it was weird as a kid - you would eat soup with buttered bread and crisps!

hmm fave soups are chunky potato and chicken ones. Also pea & ham is lovely.
                    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

I&#39;m not really a soup fan (the nerd in me find&#39;s it&#39;s avoidance of strict categorisation as either food or beverage most problematic). That said, I do have very fond memories of  Heinz tomato soup, with large chunks of French bread, round at my great great aunt&#39;s when I was a kid. Can&#39;t stand the stuff nowadays mind.    

If was to recommend one, it&#39;d be one of Blue Dragon&#39;s canned Thai soups. Very hot (by my standards) and probably more of curry, owing to the amount of veg included.

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Least appetising soup, as seen as soup of the day in some caff in Bath? &#39;Golden Pea&#39;...

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (son of stan @ Nov. 30 2004,15:45)]Used to do a few home mades myself in the days when i had a bit more time on my hands.
                          Ah, the trick is to make loads when the veg is in season, bung it in the freezer in baggies, and defrost through the dark winter months...so I&#39;m still getting through the load of pumpkin, marrow, etc soups I acyually made up in big pans back in August/September. With chunky soda bread (as per Wooly&#39;s recipe - and buttered) to go.

The other half has recently made up a batch of chestnut/chickpea soup (tomatoes, garlic, onion, stock, olive oil...) after having it in Italy. Now that&#39;s what I call soup&#33;
                          a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

my current fave is chickpea &amp; leek mmmmm............add a potato drizzle ex virgin olive oil &amp; a few shavings of parmesan
                            Go on wit'cha bad elf

Comment

This thread needs more recipes.

Comment

Working...
                              X