Feminine complex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feminine complex

Picked up the CD issue of this excellent Nashville femme-psych type thing, but been told it's actually a hoax, put together by more modern folks and purveyed as a 'lost' late 60s album. Sounds authentic enough to me, and doesn't make it any less of a great set either way, but anyone know the real deal on this? Sleevenotes and sound are certainly a bit 'too good to be true', but that doesn't mean it's not really what it claims to be, does it? Recommended whatever the answer is, though - just wondering if it's even worth thinking of keeping an eye out for the Athena 60s LP!
    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

I have no idea but the lady thinks they're genuine and said this:

I've heard that Feminine Complex hoax rumour before. I dunno. I don't
    think it's been admitted that it is or conclusively proven that it wasn't,
    although I do seem to recall an original 7" on ebay. I think because the
    first reissue was on Teen Beat and they'd never done reissues before maybe
    that sparked off suspicion. I think they're genuine and I think I'd be a
    bit upset if they weren't. There's that second CD which is all live
    performances and the like too, which is a classic thing for a hoaxer to do -
    overplay the authenticity.
    Errr..Hambone?

Comment

You mean this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws....me=WD2V
      www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] ]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws....me=WD2V
        Sorry to go off topic, but is anybody on this board goonershadow?
        records - one a week mixcloud
        records - one a week soundcloud

Comment

Seen the name around but dont know who it is...

Comment

that Femine Complez lp is a killer............no question that it&#39;s for real.........deffo not a hoax.........as Sermad&#39;s link to that ebay item goes to show...............well worth a punt actually..........i&#39;ve had the lp twice and sold one for a tonne a while back..........it&#39;s rare and very good........

Comment

I think they have a mention in Fuzz, Acid &amp; Flowers, and I&#39;ve seen the original LP on a few lists (but passed it up): so I doubt this is a hoax.

Think I may have read something about the liner notes on the original LP being the usual fluff though, and that it. . .

Actually it says this:

ALBUM:
              1 LIVIN LOVE (Athena 6001) 1968/9

NB: (1) reissued on LP (Gear Fab GF 207).

45s:
              1 I&#39;ve Been Working On You / Six O&#39;clock In The Morning (Athena 5003) 1968
              2 Forgetting / I Won&#39;t Run (Athena 5006) c1968
              3 Run That Thru Your Mind / Are You Lonesome Like Me (Athena 5008) c1969

An all-girl rock quartet from Nashville who are beginning to attract collectors.

Allmusic.com says this:

&quot;An obscure and quite possibly fictitious all-girl Sixties garage band from Nashville, Tennessee, the Feminine Complex comprised singer/guitarist Mindy Dalton, bassist Jean Williams, vocalist/tambourinist Judi Griffith, organist Pame Stephens and drummer Lana Napier. According to legend, the group was formed by Williams and Napier in 1966 while both were sophomores at Nashville&#39;s Maplewood High School; originally named the Pivots, a moniker suggested by the girls&#39; basketball coach, after recruiting teammates Dalton and Griffith they soon made their debut at a school talent show, dressed in matching pantsuits and performing covers of contemporary hits. After adding Stephens, the quintet rechristened themselves the Feminine Complex and began making regular appearances at Skateland, then Nashville&#39;s hottest summer teen hangout.

In a local scene otherwise dominated by male combos like the Anglo Saxons, the Feminine Complex quickly earned a cult following, and soon they were touring throughout Tennessee. They soon caught the attention of A&amp;R vet Dee Kilpatrick, who&#39;d just formed the Athena Records label; the Feminine Complex was the label&#39;s first signing, and in 1969 the band&#39;s debut LP Livin&#39; Love was released. However, by the time the album appeared the group had already disintegrated — Stephens, who&#39;d graduated high school, ultimately chose college over rock and roll, and both Williams and Napier both quit soon after. Dalton and Griffith briefly forged on as a duo, but by late 1969 the Feminine Complex was no more.

In 1996, the hip indie label TeenBeat reissued Livin&#39; Love, followed a year later by the rarities collection To Be in Love, both rumored to be not vintage recordings but instead the work of latter-day pranksters.&quot;

Hmmmmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (sermad @ Dec. 02 2004,17:37)]You mean this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws....me=WD2V
                Ah, there&#39;s the biscuit...what are the chances of turning one up in Nottingham, then? I suppose the rumour over authenticity might arise as much from the fact that it&#39;s such a great LP but doesn&#39;t seem to be known to a lot of collectors etc...I&#39;d never heard of it, anyway, and it&#39;s exactly the kind of outfit I&#39;m always looking for...

Still, even if it were found to be a hoax it&#39;s a bloody good one. In the sleevenotes, it does mention that the girls themselves didn&#39;t play much on the LP (the producers used session crew) but are playing on the demos &amp; bonus tracks on the CD. Looks like it is for real, then*. Cheers all for the info&#33;

EDIT: * unless it&#39;s a really sophisticated hoax that pressed up a limited run of LP &amp; 45 vinyl copies that look authentically 1969 and...well, it&#39;d be dedication, wouldn&#39;t it? Not entirely beyond the realms, but I&#39;d guess you&#39;d know a 60s from an 90s press if you saw the thing firsthand, wouldn&#39;t you...
                a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Don&#39;t psyche bands do this all the time? Pretend to be recorded way back when?
                  http://wakeupanddie.com
                  http://weirdgearnyc.com
                  http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

This lp crops up on ebay *all* the time btw. Its been in my auction search for months and Ive never figured out why I put it there&#33;

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (sermad @ Dec. 04 2004,03:14)]This lp crops up on ebay *all* the time btw. Its been in my auction search for months and Ive never figured out why I put it there&#33;
                      well if you don&#39;t want it, take it off your searches, dur&#33;&#33;

hey Wayne, if Feminine Complex interest you, have you got the Cake LPs? They&#39;re an all girl popsike thing - records are fairly common &amp; cheap

self-titled Decca LP

dodgy review of same LP here

a mate has this LP and their 2nd one (can&#39;t remember the title). The first LP is OK but the 2nd is pretty damned fine I tell thee.
                      new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

I have a few 45&#39;s by them, all good and pretty much on the Carey Nations tip [Russ Meyer] if thats any help. The second LP is very good also and should go around £40-60 mark, but thats a large difference as this depends on where you get it from.
                        it's time for some heartbeats

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (Col Wolfe @ Dec. 03 2004,12:41)]hey Wayne, if Feminine Complex interest you, have you got the Cake LPs?  They&#39;re an all girl popsike thing - records are fairly common &amp; cheap

self-titled Decca LP

dodgy review of same LP here

a mate has this LP and their 2nd one (can&#39;t remember the title).  The first LP is OK but the 2nd is pretty damned fine I tell thee.
                          Not come across those, will definitely be keeping an eye open from now on. Sound exactly like my bag &#39;o grooves...

Comment

Working...
                          X