Weekend finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend finds

Trawled through a few charities today and found a half decent haul. Mainly rock heading for Ebay and a couple of Acid Jazz Favs but one gem tucked away in there!!

The Big Country - Soundtrack

MFSB - TSOP

Dave Clark Five - Greatest Hits

Jaws 2 - Soundtrack

Neil Young - After the Goldrush

Byrds - History of

CCR - Gold + More Gold

Eric Claptons Rainbow Concert

The Yardbirds - Remember

REM - Losing my Religion 12"

Afrika Bambaataa - Renegades of Funk 12"

Talkin' Loud - Out and About 12"

Brand New Heavies - Ultimate trunk Funk EP

BNH - Midnight at the Oasis

BNH - Back to Love

Galliano - Skunk Funk

Free - Heartbreaker

Emitt Rhodes - Heartbreaker

Alan Price - O Lucky Man Soundtrack - Double

Jimmy Pryde - Pipe Dreams - Double

How did you guys do??

'Two Generations' - Sid Phillips/The Simon Sound (Contour)
    I seem to be the only person who didn't have a copy of this - until now! Certainly lives up to expectations - I didn't know Pete Winslow did stuff like that!

'The World Of Big Band Blues' - Ted Heath (Decca)
    Bit early (1959) but quite nice, some top musicians and arrangements by David Lindup and Ralph Dollimore.

'Under Milk Wood' - Stan Tracey/Donald Houston (RCA)
    Proper straight ahead jaaaazzzz, with bits of Dylan Thomas thrown in - potentially interesting. One to be listened to all the way through, I think!

Plus a huge pile of interesting CD-rs from a friend of mine which will take weeks to get throught properly - looking forward to it!

Comment

This are finds from the past week or two...

Ray Davies - Magnum Force 7"
      Ennio Morricone - Citta Violenta 7" (spare)
      Ennio Morricone - Citta Violenta LP (spare)
      Lalo Schifrin - Battle Creek Brawl 7" (spare)
      Rollerball - Executive Party Dance 7" (spare)
      Bruce Lee - Enter The Dragon 2LP (spare)
      Stanley Cowell - Musa: Ancestral Streams
      Lupin The 3rd - Music From The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack LP (spare)
      The Aquarians - Hair Soundtrack
      Aquarius Age - Hair Soundtrack
      Phantasm - Soundtrack LP
      Lord Finesse - Strictly For The Ladies 12" (spare)
      Lord Finesse - Baby You Nasty 12" (spare)
      Lesiman - High Tension 3 (library)
      Nico Gomez - Samba LP
      Polnareff - Polnareff's LP (spare)
      Goblin - Suspiria 1 Soundtack
      Goblin - Suspiria 2 Soundtrack
      Task Force - New Mic Order LP (spare)
      Main Source - Looking At The Front Door 12"
      Doug Lucas - Niara LP
      David Liebman Quartet - The Opal Heart LP (Japanese pressing)

+ some Japanese stuff I can't translate, but you can bet it's heat son!

Comment

slim pickens for me today:

Perception lp (KPM 1262)
        Psychoses Suite lp (Conroy)
        Various-Paris Star Time (Roger Roger & His Orchestra, Les Trois Menestrels, Jaqueline Boyer & Hugues Aufray)---thought I found a bargain ($4) only to discover the lp is scratched to hell. that's the last time I buy a bargain lp without checking the records first

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (llmod1 @ Dec. 04 2004,20:32)]Trawled through a few charities today and found a half decent haul. Mainly rock heading for Ebay and a couple of Acid Jazz Favs but one gem tucked away in there!!

MFSB - TSOP

Jaws 2 - Soundtrack

Byrds - History of

CCR - Gold + More Gold
          As a matter of interest, is it worth putting this stuff on ebay? I'm not trying to be mean, just that personally I wouldn't bother picking most of these up unless they really were perfect originals (Neil Young, Byrds). What's your 'hit rate' selling this kind of LP?

Personally, I managed two Woody Herman LPs from the early 70's, an Avon Cities LP I'd never seen before, the Moog Beatles LP, a decent Corries LP, Jacques Loussier 'Play Bach live at Champs-Elysees', two Cozy Powell 45s, the Baroque Jazz Ensemble 'Hits from 1722', and the Peter Sellers and Sophia Loren album.

We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

I found a cat in a bush
            new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (Col Wolfe @ Dec. 05 2004,00:14)]I found a cat in a bush
              tabby? chocolate-point siamese? persian?
              We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Cats, eh? Can&#39;t turn round here without at least one popping up and getting in the way, but then they do live here.

As for finds, very chuffed to turn up a copy of John Dankworth&#39;s &#39;Zodiac Variations&#39; for a quid, and a few other spec bits, none of which have especially floated my boat. A couple of early 60s Pye Golden Guinea &#39;Twist...&#39; LPs (from the Muller stable, no less) are OK if you like that sort of thing, though...

Also a nice 50s style mambo LP by Lucio Barbossa Group on Fonal, a sort of nice crooner/ska/calypso effort called &#39;Magic Style&#39; by Pat Rolle (on Tropical Recording Co, signed) and a sonically abysmal but very beautifully sleeved &#39;Hammond Dance Party&#39; by Lars Tiselius With Rhythm Group on Joy.

Here&#39;s looking to the weather bringing a few hardy and vinyl laden souls out to the booter tomorrow&#33;
                a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (john stapleton @ Dec. 05 2004,00:18)]
                  Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Col Wolfe @ Dec. 05 2004,00:14)]I found a cat in a bush
                  tabby? chocolate-point siamese? persian?  
                  it&#39;s a tortie - but our cat (also tortie) doesn&#39;t like it - am waiting for the RSPCA to come and pick it up - some bastard appears to have dumped it in a cardboard box with some food in a hedge outside my local pub

btw, would love a chocolate-point siamese
                  new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] ]A couple of early 60s Pye Golden Guinea &#39;Twist...&#39; LPs (from the Muller stable, no less) are OK if you like that sort of thing, though...
                    Is that the one that&#39;s got a version of Saints Go Marching In that cunningly replaces &#39;marching&#39; with &#39;twisting&#39;? If so I&#39;ve got it and love it&#33; Is there more than one?
                    http://jimcassius.blogspot.com

Comment

Today I visited a few spots I hadn&#39;t been to in a long while, and didn&#39;t turn up much, although everything was cheap. Best of the bunch is

Bossa Rio - Alegria&#33; (Blue Thumb)
                      Not as smooth as Sergio &amp; his crew, but nice one. Really like the 2nd track - Zazueira.

Norman Harris - The Harris Machine (Philadephia Intl)
                      In Good Faith is the standout track. Nice.

On the 45 front, best finds last week were:

Young-Holt Unlimited - Who&#39;s Making Love (Brunswick)
                      These guys just amaze me again and again.

Howlin&#39; Wolf - Evil (Cadet Concept)
                      I think the album cut is better, but great track.

Sonny Stitt - Soul Shack (Prestige)
                      love that mod jazz sound. And on perhaps my favorite label.

Bobbi Humphrey - Harlem River Drive (Blue Note)
                      Really feeling this one....so goood.

Hector and the Eastmen - Switch Me (Tune-kel)
                      nice r&#39;n&#39;b garage instrumental.

OK, I also managed to squeeze a few dollars out of my record budget for a book, so I&#39;m off to read......
                      http://three-sixty-five45s.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (john stapleton @ Dec. 04 2004,23:00)]
                        Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (llmod1 @ Dec. 04 2004,20:32)]Trawled through a few charities today and found a half decent haul. Mainly rock heading for Ebay and a couple of Acid Jazz Favs but one gem tucked away in there&#33;&#33;

MFSB - TSOP

Jaws 2 - Soundtrack

Byrds - History of

CCR - Gold + More Gold
                        As a matter of interest, is it worth putting this stuff on ebay? I&#39;m not trying to be mean, just that personally I wouldn&#39;t bother picking most of these up unless they really were perfect originals (Neil Young, Byrds). What&#39;s your &#39;hit rate&#39; selling this kind of LP?

Personally, I managed two Woody Herman LPs from the early 70&#39;s, an Avon Cities LP I&#39;d never seen before, the Moog Beatles LP, a decent Corries LP, Jacques Loussier &#39;Play Bach live at Champs-Elysees&#39;, two Cozy Powell 45s, the Baroque Jazz Ensemble &#39;Hits from 1722&#39;, and the Peter Sellers and Sophia Loren album.

John, you&#39;re right, I wouldn&#39;t have bought these if they weren&#39;t mint or close to. I tend to stick lots of stuff on Ebay that I found for a quid or less at &#036;9.99 then count on shifting a few items. Sometimes works, someimes doesn&#39;t. It&#39;s usually a case of being patient, someone, somewhere usually wants what you&#39;ve got.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] ]an Avon Cities LP
                          John - are there good funky ones? I&#39;ve picked up a couple and they&#39;ve always been a bit &#39;straight ahead&#39; for me - I&#39;ve got one at the moment - sleeve has the arse end of an occupied pair of jeans on the cover - yours gratis if you want it.

As for finds - pretty sparse - edited highlights are:

Johnny Pearson - Playgirl (double)
                          Tudor Lodge - S/T (actually quite nice)
                          Wattstax
                          Albert King - I Wanna get Funky
                          Poor Boys - Pockets Full of Love (or summat)
                          Neu - Black Forest Gataeux (SP?)

and Duke Grant - Hammond Gold (first one in the wilds of Scotland for AGES since me and Divine hoovered them all up - now an official breakbeat raer )
                          "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Nite Liters -Instrumental Directions

Black Sun -s/t (killer disco&#33

Boulevard Nights OST

Ingram -Would you like to fly

7&quot;:
                            The Dells -Halleluja baby/ I can sing a rainbow

Stacy Lattisaw -Jump to the beat

Chicary Tip -Move on/good grief christina -What type of music is this? I haven&#39;t listened to it yet...

Theo Vaness -Thank god there&#39;s music/I can&#39;t dance without you

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (Jim Cassius @ Dec. 04 2004,03:34)]
                              Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] ]A couple of early 60s Pye Golden Guinea &#39;Twist...&#39; LPs (from the Muller stable, no less) are OK if you like that sort of thing, though...
                              Is that the one that&#39;s got a version of Saints Go Marching In that cunningly replaces &#39;marching&#39; with &#39;twisting&#39;? If so I&#39;ve got it and love it&#33; Is there more than one?
                              That&#39;s the one: Fats &amp; The Chessmen, &#39;Twistin&#39; The Oldies&#39; has the &#39;Saints&#39; on it, the other one I picked up&#39;s from the year before (1961 - &#39;oldies&#39; is 1962) and is just called &#39;let&#39;s do the twist&#39;. Maybe I should give &#39;em another listen...

As for this morning, an LP called &#39;Contrasts&#39; by Julie Rogers (might be good, might be shite...) and a little clutch of 45s, also on spec: Armada Orchestra, Dynamic Corvettes, Salsoul Orchestra, Beatles (&#39;Rain&#39 and &#39;Caine&#39;s Theme&#39; &#39;Kung Fu&#39; TV single.
                              a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Working...
                              X