Weekend finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    this is what i managed to come up with at the weekend.
    roxanne shante-have a nice day (us 12&quot
    the 5th dimension-stoned soul picnic(liberty uk)
    the association-the greatest hits (warners us)
    the four tops-keepers of the castle(dunhill us)
    pete moore and orch-lively and latin(rediffusion uk)
    the small faces 3rd lp(immediate)(i was amazed to find this in a charity shop as its £120 lp,it had some surface marks but it played well,its gave me a new found faith in charity shops&#33

Leave a comment:

• MoogMan
    replied
    [quote=LDJB,Dec. 06 2004,10:33]
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]

Albert King - I Wanna get Funky

Hi, LDJB

How about this one? Is it good? Delivers some funkiness?
    I found it at a local shop, but thought it was a bit expensive (17 dollars) for a record that I know nothing.    

Thanks
    Not bad but it's a funky blues LP - know what I mean?

Many thanks, LDJB.
    I'll give it a try.

Leave a comment:

• wayne
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Jim Cassius @ Dec. 04 2004,22:35)]
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]That's the one: Fats & The Chessmen, 'Twistin' The Oldies' has the 'Saints' on it, the other one I picked up's from the year before (1961 - 'oldies' is 1962) and is just called 'let's do the twist'. Maybe I should give 'em another listen...
    Cool! It's the Fats & The Chessmen - one of my fave exploito names I think - that I've got. I am a Muller geek though, as well as being a bit of a rock'n'roller. So I guess that's made for me! I'll keep my eyes peeled for the earlier one.
    If you're interested in this, drop me a PM or email - had another track through and reckon if you like the 'oldies' set this'll probably be up your particular alley as well.

Leave a comment:

• LDJB
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Quote (LDJB @ Dec. 05 2004,10:39)

Hi, LDJB

I found it at a local shop, but thought it was a bit expensive (17 dollars) for a record that I know nothing.

Thanks
    Not bad but it's a funky blues LP - know what I mean?

Leave a comment:

• djr
    replied
    A couple of more finds today:

Phil Flowers & the Flower Shop - Keep On Sockin' It Children

Dandelion Wine - Hot Dog

Shirley Scott - You
    these Atlantic funky jazz 45s are hot....

Beaufort Express - You Got to Do Your Best

Otis Goodwin - I Feel It Just A Little Bit

Melting Pot - Kool and the Gang

Cyril Neville - Gossip

Leave a comment:

• MoogMan
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (LDJB @ Dec. 05 2004,10:39)]
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Albert King - I Wanna get Funky
    Hi, LDJB

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Jim Cassius
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]That's the one: Fats & The Chessmen, 'Twistin' The Oldies' has the 'Saints' on it, the other one I picked up's from the year before (1961 - 'oldies' is 1962) and is just called 'let's do the twist'. Maybe I should give 'em another listen...
    Cool! It's the Fats & The Chessmen - one of my fave exploito names I think - that I've got. I am a Muller geek though, as well as being a bit of a rock'n'roller. So I guess that's made for me! I'll keep my eyes peeled for the earlier one.

Leave a comment:

• Lord Thames
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (wayne @ Dec. 05 2004,01:43)]a sonically abysmal but very beautifully sleeved 'Hammond Dance Party' by Lars Tiselius With Rhythm Group on Joy.
    That'd be the one with the naked woman set in a spirograph pattern, I'm guessing? Nice cover, but I'm guessing I'm the only person outside Germany who's actually played it and liked it!

Hope the cat finds a good home - here at Castle Thames our cat collection is down to a more manageable four (after a high of nine about ten years ago, courtesy of the local farmyard tom, who had no qualms about mating with his own daughters - eyuch&#33

Leave a comment:

• wooly
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Col Wolfe @ Dec. 05 2004,02:07)]
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (john stapleton @ Dec. 05 2004,00:18)]
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Col Wolfe @ Dec. 05 2004,00:14)]I found a cat in a bush
    tabby? chocolate-point siamese? persian?  
    it's a tortie - but our cat (also tortie) doesn't like it - am waiting for the RSPCA to come and pick it up - some bastard appears to have dumped it in a cardboard box with some food in a hedge outside my local pub
    wish i'd not read that, but...

don't know if you've thought about contacting 'cats protection' - they tend to be more proactive about re-homing cats and are generally more cat-friendly.

there's got to be a local branch.

http://www.cats.org.uk/

Leave a comment:

• ffatlac3
    replied
    Popped into local "country folk" village auction the other night and picked up a gazillion 45s for a quid, 50/50 80s pop & 70s disco stuff.Did turn up the odd nugget in the pile though,namely

the BBC "Quiller" theme,
    Flash & Furious 5 - "New York,New York",
    Isleys'-Footsteps in the dark
    George Benson-Give me the night
    Rodney Franklin-The Groove
    Meco-Star Wars Theme

plus loadsa Odyssey,KC,Dan Hartman etc..disco staples.
    quite a good haul for half a (this is Lincolnshire prices!&#33

Leave a comment:

• wayne
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Jim Cassius @ Dec. 04 2004,03:34)]
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]A couple of early 60s Pye Golden Guinea 'Twist...' LPs (from the Muller stable, no less) are OK if you like that sort of thing, though...
    Is that the one that's got a version of Saints Go Marching In that cunningly replaces 'marching' with 'twisting'? If so I've got it and love it! Is there more than one?
    That's the one: Fats & The Chessmen, 'Twistin' The Oldies' has the 'Saints' on it, the other one I picked up's from the year before (1961 - 'oldies' is 1962) and is just called 'let's do the twist'. Maybe I should give 'em another listen...

As for this morning, an LP called 'Contrasts' by Julie Rogers (might be good, might be shite...) and a little clutch of 45s, also on spec: Armada Orchestra, Dynamic Corvettes, Salsoul Orchestra, Beatles ('Rain&#39 and 'Caine's Theme' 'Kung Fu' TV single.

Leave a comment:

• Funky Tee
    replied
    Nite Liters -Instrumental Directions

Black Sun -s/t (killer disco&#33

Boulevard Nights OST

Ingram -Would you like to fly

7":
    The Dells -Halleluja baby/ I can sing a rainbow

Stacy Lattisaw -Jump to the beat

Chicary Tip -Move on/good grief christina -What type of music is this? I haven't listened to it yet...

Theo Vaness -Thank god there's music/I can't dance without you

Leave a comment:

• LDJB
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]an Avon Cities LP
    John - are there good funky ones? I've picked up a couple and they've always been a bit 'straight ahead' for me - I've got one at the moment - sleeve has the arse end of an occupied pair of jeans on the cover - yours gratis if you want it.

As for finds - pretty sparse - edited highlights are:

Johnny Pearson - Playgirl (double)
    Tudor Lodge - S/T (actually quite nice)
    Wattstax
    Poor Boys - Pockets Full of Love (or summat)
    Neu - Black Forest Gataeux (SP?)

and Duke Grant - Hammond Gold (first one in the wilds of Scotland for AGES since me and Divine hoovered them all up - now an official breakbeat raer )

Leave a comment:

• llmod1
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (john stapleton @ Dec. 04 2004,23:00)]
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (llmod1 @ Dec. 04 2004,20:32)]Trawled through a few charities today and found a half decent haul. Mainly rock heading for Ebay and a couple of Acid Jazz Favs but one gem tucked away in there!!

The Big Country - Soundtrack

MFSB - TSOP

Dave Clark Five - Greatest Hits

Jaws 2 - Soundtrack

Neil Young - After the Goldrush

Byrds - History of

CCR - Gold + More Gold
    As a matter of interest, is it worth putting this stuff on ebay? I'm not trying to be mean, just that personally I wouldn't bother picking most of these up unless they really were perfect originals (Neil Young, Byrds). What's your 'hit rate' selling this kind of LP?

Personally, I managed two Woody Herman LPs from the early 70's, an Avon Cities LP I'd never seen before, the Moog Beatles LP, a decent Corries LP, Jacques Loussier 'Play Bach live at Champs-Elysees', two Cozy Powell 45s, the Baroque Jazz Ensemble 'Hits from 1722', and the Peter Sellers and Sophia Loren album.

John, you're right, I wouldn't have bought these if they weren't mint or close to. I tend to stick lots of stuff on Ebay that I found for a quid or less at $9.99 then count on shifting a few items. Sometimes works, someimes doesn't. It's usually a case of being patient, someone, somewhere usually wants what you've got.

Leave a comment:

• djr
    replied
    Today I visited a few spots I hadn't been to in a long while, and didn't turn up much, although everything was cheap. Best of the bunch is

Bossa Rio - Alegria! (Blue Thumb)
    Not as smooth as Sergio & his crew, but nice one. Really like the 2nd track - Zazueira.

Norman Harris - The Harris Machine (Philadephia Intl)
    In Good Faith is the standout track. Nice.

On the 45 front, best finds last week were:

Young-Holt Unlimited - Who's Making Love (Brunswick)
    These guys just amaze me again and again.

Howlin' Wolf - Evil (Cadet Concept)
    I think the album cut is better, but great track.

Sonny Stitt - Soul Shack (Prestige)
    love that mod jazz sound. And on perhaps my favorite label.

Bobbi Humphrey - Harlem River Drive (Blue Note)
    Really feeling this one....so goood.

Hector and the Eastmen - Switch Me (Tune-kel)
    nice r'n'b garage instrumental.

OK, I also managed to squeeze a few dollars out of my record budget for a book, so I'm off to read......

Leave a comment:

Working...
X