No announcement yet.

Day to Day Digging Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just want to commend PDSA (I think) in Huntingdon, for this purpose built second hand music display. Perfect height for perusing both LPs and 7s.

Overpriced shit records though.
    Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

• That Cornelis is not boring Holds the funky nudistpolka http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26g4_qjy-Mc with Slim Borgudd

Comment

• Originally posted by eine View Post
        Overpriced shit records though.
        I'll not have the Dubs referred to as shit, sir! (Overpriced I can believe)
        Hull Music Archive

Comment

• MUMBAI, SUNDAY 4th NOVEMBER 2012

I'd arrived in Mumbai around 2:00am but was determined to spend the day with my local friend Deb looking for records. We met at my hotel in Vashi (about 30 km outside of Mumbai and close to the factory where I work) at 10:30 and immediately set off for the city. You know what the traffic is like...

In my experience to date, there aren't many places that are known in Mumbai as out-and-out record shops. There are a few places listed in the Yellow Pages as a "Gramophone House" but rarely do they sell vinyl these days - CD and DVD only. The best way to find records in Mumbia in 2012 is by word of mouth or by using the local equivalent of Craigslist. You'll find about a half dozen people offering Hindi / Bolly records for sale. Helps if you have a friend like Deb, who speaks both Hindi and Marathi, to make the telephone call for you.

We headed for an area of the city called Sion to meet a guy we spoke to during the 45 minute drive towards the city. We parked up close to his apartment and walked to go meet him. We were greeted at the door by his wife who explained to Deb that "he'd changed his mind and gone to the cricket, come back later" - England were playing Mumbai A in a warm-up match in Navi Mumbai. Somewhat disappointed, we made out way back to the car and headed further into the city, heading now for the Victoria Railway Station aka "VT" as the locals call it.

I'd bought records from someone close to VT before but wasn't sure if this was the same person. We arrived at a CD/DVD stall and Deb spoke to the guy running it. The stall holder explained that the man who sold records now didn't sell from the stall but could be contacted by telephone. He rang him on our behalf - "he'll be here in 30 minutes" - more waiting...

It was worth the wait...

The record seller unlocks a large wooden crate and begins to pull the albums out onto the top for me to look through. "The prices are written on the back" he tells me - a first in Mumbai for me as usually the prices are not discussed until the end of the process and are usually subject to aggressive bartering (well, it appears aggressive, it's probably not, but involves lots of hand-waving and shouting).

... first time I've seen a Bob Azzam album in the wild outside Sweden..!

We made a deal of 35 albums for 7,000 rupees. Both parties very happy. I've took his business card because I know I'll be back. As I went through the records from the crate, the seller kept disappearing off for 4-5 minutes at a time and coming back with blue carrier bags full of more records. I know he'll definitely have new stuff next time I call...

Happy with the deal, we headed back to the car and headed for the JJ Hospital, also in South Mumbai. We were to meet a man we had spoke to earlier in the day. We met him on the street close to his apartment. He lead us to his block - an old collonial building dating back to late 1800's.

He welcomed us into his home with tea and invited us to sit in the main room of the small apartment.

As well as cheap, lesser quality albums for sale (the Purib Aub Pachhim and Savages albums came from here) he also had better quality albums for sale for about 1,000 rupees each. Twelve quid, to me and you. better quality in terms of both condition and content. Left with Commander, Dharmatma, Chor Police and a couple of others. As I was going through the records, Deb sat chatting with the seller's son, who I guess would have been 10 years old.

That's when the Obsession 77 talk started. He told me he had a copy for sale and went up a ladder into a loft space to fetch it. He also returned with Soul Of Bobby which I already had and should have really picked up but was trying to conserve cash as best I could (especially with talk of Obsesion 77 in the air!). In the end, we left without making a deal for the rare. He had a price in mind, as did I, but I didn't have the cash money to make an effective barter. I feel you should only enter a barter if you have the cash folding there ready to cut the deal. So we left.

As we left the apartment, Deb turned to the seller and complimented him on having such a polite and intelligent boy. He thanked Deb and explained that he uses the money he makes from selling records to pay for his son to attend the best public school in Mumbai. But things were tight; he only had one set of school uniform that had to be rushed off to the laundry at the end of each day in order to be washed and pressed ready for the next day.

As always, 10 minutes down the road I immediately regretted not making a deal for the Obsession 77. Deb had a plan to scoop the album up later, so we headed to the final destination on my hit list. To meet a dealer at a place called Bolivili, close to the Mumbai National Park.

We meet the dealer at his lock up. He's a massive fan of RD Burman and Laximant Pyarelal as you'll see...

This guy had a lot of duplicates of the same albums, lots of Burman LP's I'd not seen before. I pulled a few out and tried to cut a deal...

But, we couldn't make a deal with him. The prices he wanted for those LP's were far in excess of internet selling prices and so we decided to leave it. As we parted he explained that it didn't matter that I couldn't make a deal with him because he was expecting a Japanese collector to visit after Dewali. As it was, three of the LP's in the picture I subsequently picked up in Delhi, so all's well...

It as now 7:30pm and there was just one last thing to do - ring the man back about Obsession 77....

Last edited by Sie Vulture; 13-11-2012, 10:44 PM.
          If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

• DELHI, FRIDAY 9TH NOVEMBER 2012

The morning at work always starts with tea as we plan the job ahead. The shift supervisor chimes up - "we'd like to shut down the production line around 2:00pm as we are shutting the factory for the weekend". This isn't uncommon close to Dewali as people travel home to their home towns to be with family for the festival period.

So, knowing they'll not want me around bothering them whilst they shut things down, I gracefully tell them that I'll be out of their hair by midday. A plan to visit Chandni Chowk develops in my mind..!

Chandni Chowk is the shopping/market area adjacent to the Red Fort in Old Delhi. If you look closely at the photograph, you can see the fort in the distance. You may also be able to make out the New Gramophone House - Delhi's finest record emporium..!

...Actually you'll not be able to see where the record shop is, because the sign (an old HMV dog) has fallen down since I last visited in February. To find the shop now you have to walk along the left hand side of the road and look out for 'the shoe shop with concrete steps at the back'. That's the best info I can give you...

Once inside, the first thing that hit me was - there are now 8 people working behind laptops updating and selling from the website. I first visited this shop 2 -3 years ago and then there were just two people. I shake hands with the owner, he tells me that he doesn't see many westerners anymore, they all buy online...

I buy a half dozen LP's - Ali Baba, Marjoranam, a Babla disco LP, a copy of Videsh for 100 rupees, Joshila with an amateur home-made sleeve for 200. There's a punter in the store from Mumbai who speaks good english who asks me if I had been to the Shah Music Centre. I explained that I wasn't going to as I feel that their prices are now too expensive (these are the guys who sell big ticket records for big ticket prices online - if you want a Beatles Indian 78rpm, then these are the only people you need to speak to). The owner of the Gramophone House interupts us - "did you hear that Shah died last week..."

I step out onto Chandni Chowk, cross over the road by the Moti Cinema and proceed to walk up the street, the Red Fort to my back. There are a lot of small electrical stores and some of them still sell records. Look into each shop as you walk past... I found two on this trip, as well as "the toilet place".

I've visited this place before, run by a sikh family - father and son. Lot's of albums, some unplayed. I picked up 3-4 bits for 250 rupees each. Some decent trades.

I decide to walk over to the Meena Bazar by the mosque and see if Zafir Shah is at the stall and give him my condolences upon his father's death. Zafir remembers me and he tells me of his father's illness. He askes about records I'm after - I tell him that a copy of Parmatma, Habari and Bond 303 are top of my list and he tells me that he can help me. He beckons over the family's servant and he and I travel to the warehouse by bicycle rickshaw through the busy traffic. Zafir joins us 5 minutes later.

Note the copy of Bhoot Bungla (next to the Sound Of Music..!) - possibly one of the rarest Hindi records there is - due to the limited production run rather than the musical content. Copies can sell for over £1000. This copy was "display only" as the disc was badly warped.

We make a deal for the three albums I was after - higher prices than elsewhere in India but this is the only place I'm likely to find these records... I hop on the back of Zafir's motorbike for the short ride back to the Bazar. Time to find a taxi and get back to the hotel, I've a flight home waiting for me...

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sie Vulture View Post
              DELHI, FRIDAY 9TH NOVEMBER 2012

Even in India you can't escape the sound of music.
              Great story

Comment

• So, so amazing. That last shop is a lifetime's work. Must be dizzying - I want the records, but I also don't want to be in here for hours and hours and hours...
                Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

• Love these pics (and the write up). Nice one.
                  Hull Music Archive

Comment

• I've said it before but it makes rummaging in a charity shop seem very pathetic
                    Great stuff Sie - keep em coming!
                    "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

• Overwhelming, Sie!

Comment

• Originally posted by Headless mermaid View Post
                        Overwhelming, Sie!
                        https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
                        http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
                        https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
                        https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

(=^ェ^=)

Comment

• Looks great fun Sie! Get me a Soul of Bobby next time!!

Comment

• Incredible stuff, thanks Sie, very enjoyable.
                            You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Comment

• Great pics Sie!

Shame you couldn't cut a deal on the Bandhe Hath, that's a toughie to get I think...
                              it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
                              take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sie Vulture View Post
                                So that's where Fen Elvis moved to!
                                new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Working...
                                X