• bennyboy
    replied
    Ha, ok, as an excuse it works.

Leave a comment:

• Head Gardener
    replied
    Originally posted by bennyboy View Post
    You should get that copy of Wave.
    I do have that already but I was passing through today didn't even really have time to dig deep as someone texted me out of the blue
    to say "I will leave a load of records on the doorstep for you" along with an address - in Northampton. I went round and picked up
    3 big boxes, I knocked to say thanks but no reply, they have turned out to be 80% chuff but there were a few Bruton gems and some
    Folky bits so that was a nice surprise - folks can be so nice. I will drop the rest at Barnardo's tomorrow, mostly classical & Wings, lol

Leave a comment:

• Davedave
    replied
    Best of the Ink Spots lurking on the left.

Leave a comment:

• eine
    replied
    Originally posted by bennyboy View Post
    Captain Bacardi.

Leave a comment:

• bennyboy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Head Gardener
    replied

local charity shop already trying to cash in on Vera's big birthday tomorrow

Leave a comment:

• Milesago
    replied
    Originally posted by Head Gardener View Post
    I reckon that's about right, the guy who runs the auctions around here told me that Eastern Europeans come in and buy any old crap and export it,
    for reasons unknown to him (and me) but there is a market for it there, maybe it is all melted down...?!
    Vinyl is recycled (unless it's 'virgin vinyl'), so that makes sense. It's certainly an interesting development that it's become cost effective to ship unsellable vinyl from the UK to Poland for recycling. Years ago a tight-fisted dealer here explained to me how he extracted every penny out of his stock, and the final step was the sale of the unsellable crud for recycling (after removing any 'nice' inner sleeves ). At that time, at least 10 years ago, that value was as little as a penny or two per disc, and he'd wait until he had a truckload before cashing in. Obviously that value has gone up somewhat.

PS. Old computer equipment can also find its way onto shelves in 2nd hand stores in Africa, which is why you should always wipe the hard disc before dumping an old PC.

Leave a comment:

• cratedigger
    replied
    Originally posted by relkeel View Post
    Record collecting ..... it's the future

#3 pretending to read the CD spines while ogling the 7" finds pulled out by #2
    Masterful one-hand digging and one-hand guarding the raers by #2

Leave a comment:

• amidar
    replied
    I figured something like that Rel, seem to remember watching a tragic documentary of them doing something similar in Asia, smelting components down and breathing in lord knows what.

Leave a comment:

• relkeel
    replied
    Originally posted by babycart View Post
    I like the way a range of digging techniques are represented. Apart from tall beardy guy on the left, I can see:

Excited pillage of cheapies/oddments box
    Intense, hawk-like aerial surveillance of CD spines
    Dip-and-flick 45 removal.
    Classic one-handed crate flickage
    Ambitious "grass is greener" reaching.
    That's impressively astute Babycart. The tall guy far left isn't fiending like the rest, he's just trying to look insouciant. He is in fact patiently awaiting an audience with the stallholder to discuss matters relating to his role as 'classical CD spotter'.

Leave a comment:

• relkeel
    replied
    Originally posted by amidar View Post
    Sounds like there is something in that, must have been worthwhile he'd have needed a big van or a couple of long wheel base transits to shift it all.

I used to meet a guy around the computer auctions who would buy anything as long as it was dirt cheap so were talking tech that was years out of date to the point of it being unusable or just dirty broken and old. He told me his boss exported it by the container load to Africa I think. Why I have no idea I always tend to take this things with a grain of salt.
    It all gets shipped to poorer countries around the globe as 'e' waste for recycling, it's highly toxic and is dismantled and stripped by workers with little protection who subsequently suffer high incidences of illness. Grim, and it's illegal, well supposedly.

https://ourworld.unu.edu/en/toxic-e-...united-nations

Leave a comment:

• amidar
    replied
    Sounds like there is something in that, must have been worthwhile he'd have needed a big van or a couple of long wheel base transits to shift it all.

I used to meet a guy around the computer auctions who would buy anything as long as it was dirt cheap so were talking tech that was years out of date to the point of it being unusable or just dirty broken and old. He told me his boss exported it by the container load to Africa I think. Why I have no idea I always tend to take this things with a grain of salt.

Leave a comment:

• Head Gardener
    replied
    Originally posted by giantchicken View Post
    I've heard of similar instances of cartloads of chud heading to eastern Europe - perhaps someone is melting them down to press bootlegs?
    I reckon that's about right, the guy who runs the auctions around here told me that Eastern Europeans come in and buy any old crap and export it,
    for reasons unknown to him (and me) but there is a market for it there, maybe it is all melted down...?!

Leave a comment:

• giantchicken
    replied
    Originally posted by amidar View Post
    some guy had bought the whole lot and was exporting them to Poland to sell. He seemed as confused as me as 1. They were 99% chuff 2. 60% Badly Scratched and 3. It sounded like a right old load of cobblers!
    I've heard of similar instances of cartloads of chud heading to eastern Europe - perhaps someone is melting them down to press bootlegs?

Leave a comment:

• amidar
    replied
    It was a bit like that in Preston today with hoards the old codgers and their dirty elbows rifling through potential gold and using their bad breath and poor hygiene as a weapon.

The wife says I dress like an old man already because I like a crisp lined Farah or M+S trouser preferably an anti-crease fabric in a brown or beige and a tweed or brown thin corduroy jacket mixed with a nice quality shirt although saying that I would never mix a Brown cord with a beige or brown pair of slacks, I'd look like a giant turd. Despite this kids shout 'Elvis' at me in the street on occasion and I have no idea why.

When I was down the market the other week all his records had gone which must have been thousands and he'd just started building them back up again which was great as they were always getting mixed up and had been dug to death. His mate told me some guy had bought the whole lot and was exporting them to Poland to sell. He seemed as confused as me as 1. They were 99% chuff 2. 60% Badly Scratched and 3. It sounded like a right old load of cobblers!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X