X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SirSlim
    replied
    Originally posted by Head Gardener View Post
    the thriller in question seems to be this, looks vaguely familiar...

Leave a comment:

• Head Gardener
    replied
    I had a tip-off at the weekend from a friend who works for a local BBC radio station
    that they were planning on skipping all their vinyl as "nobody here plays it anymore".
    Music to my ears, especially when he offered me to come down and help myself for free!
    It seems some radio folks had got there before me but I still dug up a lot of rare and unusual stuff,
    African music, Electronica, Sound FX singles from the 60's etc.
    They were dumping lots of studio equipment too but i know nothing of such tech and was told
    to leave it alone anyway.

There were quite a few Folk albums too so am slowly going through those today in my cellar.

The 7" singles caught my eye at the back of the BBC dungeon, I put a word in to try and nab
    the lovely shelves they were on but alas they had been earmarked.

However... I did stumble across this wee gem, I had never seen one before and couldn't find
    anything about it on the Bill Nelson site apart from the 12" and CD versions but here was a near
    mint promo copy of this brilliant and beautiful tune. It has AA on each side of the label and the
    same track on each with A1 in both sides of the matrix run out grooves.

will post more pics of finds as I dig deeper into this here pile

Leave a comment:

• Plainstone
    replied
    Originally posted by eine View Post

made me think of ...

Oh, and congrats again

Leave a comment:

• eine
    replied
    Originally posted by effi_deep View Post

making some cash with heart raers in norwich!
    This is exactly what happened when I met up with priima in Tallinn a couple of weeks ago. He showed us around town and as we wound our way through the stunning centre he was stopped twice, first by a man with a dog, and second by a man on a skateboard. He dealt records for cash, out in the street, to both of them.

I didn't buy any records for the whole trip, although had a look here, a vintage fair in a decommissioned power station (another tip from Martin).

Totally recommend Estonia for visiting. I also happened to meet Teddy Rosso known from these parts, over to see Awesome Tapes From Africa with Martin.

Photo of me, my better half (also awesome and from Africa) and priima below.

Leave a comment:

• mattB
    replied

Leave a comment:

• candiman
    replied
    Originally posted by babycart View Post
    that Express front page would take longer to read than the whole paper nowadays.

Still, it´s every bit as fascinating and disturbing today. Kate, Nigel and Maddy is almost an Express full house.

Thanks for doing this. It saved me buyng the paper and doing it.

Leave a comment:

• mike sondek
    replied
    Originally posted by candiman View Post
    The charities and 2nd hand shops have been barren with little or no stock turnover this last few weeks. A local 2nd hand emporium at least had something different to look through yesterday though - a sorry bunch of 78s. I'm partial to a 78 nowadays but there was nothing of interest in the pile except this which was acting as a sleeve for one of them:

front/back page of a Daily Express dated July 11 1942.

I found this fascinating and disturbing in equal measure. My window into WW2 has been mostly through various television documentaries, and they tend to focus on specific aspects or campaigns. Inevitably, and not least because I wasn't born then, there is a detachment from those terrible times. Holding something tangible - a newspaper from the time - and an imprint that is still around today, and one my parents used to buy regularly - and reading all these news items of events from all over Europe and Asia really made an impression with me on how all encompassing and horrific the war was.

"N*zi Planes mass in Arctic" struck me as a particularly chilling headline, in more ways than one.
    "Jap convoys..." racism gone mad I tell you.

Leave a comment:

• babycart
    replied
    that Express front page would take longer to read than the whole paper nowadays.

Still, it´s every bit as fascinating and disturbing today. Kate, Nigel and Maddy is almost an Express full house.

Leave a comment:

• candiman
    replied
    The charities and 2nd hand shops have been barren with little or no stock turnover this last few weeks. A local 2nd hand emporium at least had something different to look through yesterday though - a sorry bunch of 78s. I'm partial to a 78 nowadays but there was nothing of interest in the pile except this which was acting as a sleeve for one of them:

front/back page of a Daily Express dated July 11 1942.

I found this fascinating and disturbing in equal measure. My window into WW2 has been mostly through various television documentaries, and they tend to focus on specific aspects or campaigns. Inevitably, and not least because I wasn't born then, there is a detachment from those terrible times. Holding something tangible - a newspaper from the time - and an imprint that is still around today, and one my parents used to buy regularly - and reading all these news items of events from all over Europe and Asia really made an impression with me on how all encompassing and horrific the war was.

"N*zi Planes mass in Arctic" struck me as a particularly chilling headline, in more ways than one.

Leave a comment:

• amidar
    replied
    Looks like a genuine pair of Liberace's shoes in the window also.

Leave a comment:

• Sonovox
    replied
    First time I've seen a silver disc for sale in a charity shop. Overnight Success by Neil Sedaka.

The price tag is £19.99, not .99, by the way.

Leave a comment:

• babycart
    replied
    Originally posted by Head Gardener View Post
    I have a few 8" (and 3") Durium flexi-discs but the one I picked up today was unplayed.
    They are card backed 2 track records released in the 1930's - this one came with the original flyer!

That picnic looks great.
    I´m thinking about wiring up the Soundburger to a ghetto blaster for this summer's beach barbecues, but am a bit worried about the kids that will be present. And the sand. And the grease

Leave a comment:

• Head Gardener
    replied
    I have a few 8" (and 3") Durium flexi-discs but the one I picked up today was unplayed.
    They are card backed 2 track records released in the 1930's - this one came with the original flyer!

Leave a comment:

• Saint Jude
    replied
    Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
    Sounds like you bounced back.
    I assumed this was a Partridge reference:

Leave a comment:

• Shere Khan
    replied
    Originally posted by Bozak View Post
    needless to say i had the last laugh
    Sounds like you bounced back.