Yule tide food thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yule tide food thread

Been a while since we had a food thread and as I'm cooking Christmas dinner this year (Whole family, including 2 veggies!) I thought i'd kick one off.

Anyone got any ideas on sprucing up the traditional dinner?
    I've seen a couple of things recently on TV on how to make brussell sprouts edible! 1st one was to roast/fry them with bacon and pecan nuts (don't think that'll be a hit with our veggies) the 2nd was to puree them with parsnip and cream.
    both sound nice enough.

What will the vegetarians amongst us be enjoying (this is gonna be my challenge because i'd like it to fit with the traditional style turkey + trimmings)
    Yes
    64.29%
    Hell No
    21.43%
    Maybe with a bit of garnish.
    14.29%

The poll is expired.

http://www.facebook.com/weekendsun
    http://soundcloud.com/weekend-sun
    http://www.myspace.com/weekendsun

In my experience the best thing to do with sprouts is leave well alone - they are minging whatever you do to try and disguise the fact - bit like remixing U2
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Think of the glory tho, if you can make a sprout edible you truely are king of the kitchen!!
      http://www.facebook.com/weekendsun
      http://soundcloud.com/weekend-sun
      http://www.myspace.com/weekendsun

Comment

Sprouts are horrible, nasty things. I'm going to be made to eat one token sprout on Xmas day, as is customary. It's made worse by the fact that our organic box comes complete with sprouts during Xmas week, whether we like them or not - apparently we're being made to have them "by law". Hmmm.

Michael Caine says that sprouts are the only veg you can get away with over-cooking, but I'm not sure...surely that makes them even worse...

A little tip for you is to make some decent stuffing for Xmas dinner - it's always best made by hand, with fresh herbs. I think delia's got some good basic recipes for this (www.deliaonline.com), but even better results can be had if you take the basic recipe and add your own flavas.

Comment

I like sprouts.. One of those foods I hated as a kid, now crimbo wouldn't be the same without 'em.

Big up the humble sprout.

Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

I did sprouts glazed in honey white wine and capers or something once. everyone ate them!!
            www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Originally posted by wooly
              I'm going to be made to eat one token sprout on Xmas day, as is customary.
              I suffered exactly the same indignity through all my childhood Christmas dinners. Doesn't the age of the sprout have a lot of bearing on the taste (i.e. the older the sprout, the higher the build up of tannins or whatever makes them taste bitter)? As usual, I may be talking complete cobblers...
              You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by sermad
                I did sprouts glazed in honey white wine and capers or something once. everyone ate them!!
                Yeah man, that's what I'm talking about..

The Guardian Weekend mag had an 'Alternative Xmas' food & drink supplement a couple of weeks ago, and had some interesting-sounding receeps, including no less:

Brussels sprouts with ginger and tomato

400g brussels sprouts
                1 tbsp olive oil
                1 red onion, thinly sliced
                2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
                1 fresh chilli, seeded and thinly sliced
                1 tbsp fresh ginger, sliced
                3 tomatoes, halved and thickly sliced
                1 tbsp soy sauce

Peel the outer leaves from the sprouts and slice the larger ones in half. Bring a pot of water to a boil and drop in the sprouts for 30 seconds, then remove.

Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a wide pan and add the sprouts and the red onion. Cook over a medium-high heat for two minutes, stirring, then add the garlic, chilli and ginger. After another minute, add the tomatoes and soy sauce, and cook for five minutes. Add a splash of water if the dish seems to be drying out.

Yum. You can check out the rest of the article here..

http://talk.workunlimited.co.uk/chri...364898,00.html
                Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

Sprouts are great! You lot are heathens

Pan fried with chestnuts are a festive way to serve them and dont forget the bacon roll-ups and chipolatas on the side for all the carnivores.

I love that bread sauce,as well as plenty of port laden cranberry jelly - top stuff! (underneath all the trimimings there'es some turkey somewhere...)

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Hero
                    Doesn't the age of the sprout have a lot of bearing on the taste (i.e. the older the sprout, the higher the build up of tannins or whatever makes them taste bitter)? As usual, I may be talking complete cobblers...
                    Dunno about the technical details, but the first more-ish sprouts I ever ate were picked fresh off the girlfriends' parents allotment last year, so fresh sprouts (or the variety?) definitely made a difference to the taste.

Bit like the difference between rank, overcooked white cabbage and a few spinachy deep green leaves done to a T, or between nasty supermarket iceberg lettuce and your actual proper leafy stuff...

Maybe it's not the humble sprout's fault after all
                    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

NO!

Sorry but the sprout is the dropping of Beelzebub.

Have to agree with Si though - the 'fixin's' are better than the actual meal usually.
                      "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

an old flatmate of mine used to shred them, and then stir-fry them with ginger, chilli and garlic, then oyster sauce. That certainly worked - not sure if it would fit with Christmas dinner though.
                        We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

God you lot. How can you not like sprouts? It's God's Food. I'm with The Cheeb on serving suggestions, most festive is undoubtedly pan frying them in butter with chestnuts, though the other alternative is à la Polonaise, which means pan friend in butter with sieved hard boiled egg, breadcrumbs and parsley.

Top tip for the turkey: remove legs before cooking. Poach the legs in chicken stock and roast the white meat separately. They take different times to cook and by the time the legs are cooked, if you roast them together, the white meat tends to dry out.
                          http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Come on chaps - the after dinner trumping session just wouldn't be the same without fuelling up on sprouts.

Just boil the buggers.........as nature intended. Luvverly.

Comment

.. I've always though that those folks who have a problem with enjoying sprouts is probably due to the fact that they recall "the ghost of Christmas past", (for me, the late 70's) when the elders of the family would boil the living shite out of every single vegatable served with every single dinner, especially the Festive Dinner.

... a plate full of wet, mushy, overboiled tastleless veg - thanks ...

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Working...
                              X