KPM's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KPM's

I'm always after for good KPM's, but not the ones like soul organ show case, like hard funky rhythm with hammond + the late 60's kpm's.
    More like Big city suite, synthesis, contempo ++
    Today I bought "Tender Emotions", from the internet (it was 10£ for a mint), so I took the chance. I'm a fan of kpm's "open air" mid 70's sound with that typical funky rhythm. Can you recommend some good kpm's that are not very expensive , and have that sound? How is their "open air" with James Clarke?

And I will use the oppurtunity to wish you all a merry christmas and a happy new year. And thank you all on this board who I have traded with and given me information on records!

Thanks

PS: Please send me a pm if you got any good kpm's for trade!

'Open Air' is very nice - more jazzy and latiny than funky per se, with big strings in it. If you like the 'Girl On The Beach' James Clarke LP, you'll like this one (especially as a couple of tracks from GOTB are on it!)

There's also an Open Air vol 2, which once again is the big orchestral sound, with a smidge of funk in there, but not much. Most of the tracks are by Keith Mansfield and Johnny Pearson, but Clarke contributes one, which is basically the same tune as 'Girl On The Beach' (and he used it again for Amphonic, the cheeky beggar!), with some nice flugel work from Shake Keane.

Also recommended is 'Music Pictorial', which is all James Clarke, and a bit heavier and funkier than the Open Air LPs - I assume this one can be found relatively cheaply, as nobody ever seems to talk about it!

Merry Christmas to you too!

Comment

Hi there Funky Tee -

Here's some '70s KPMs I'd reccomend -

Orchestral Contrasts (1976)
      Sounds of The Times (1975)
      Drama (1975)
      Flamboyant Themes vol.5 (1975 - features the wonderful "Vegas to L.A" by Dick Doerschuk)
      Distinctive Themes/Race to Achievement (1976)
      Gathering Crowds (1974)
      Industrial Panorama (1974 - features many superb tracks, notably K.Mansfield's "Man with a Mission")
      Life is for Living (1972 - Brilliant instrumental version of K.Mansfield's "The Serpent")
      Themes Suite Mustang (1972)
      The Trendsetters (1973)
      Afro Rock (1973)
      Gathering Crowds (1974)
      Impact (1976)
      Visual Impact (1976)
      Amusement (1976)
      Hot Wax (1976)
      Piano Viberations (1975)
      Visual Underscores (1977)
      Accent on Percussion/Constructions in Jazz (1971)
      Jazz-Rock (1972)
      The Rhythm of Modern Life (1972)
      Contemporary Themes (1977)
      The Hunter/Adventure Suite (1975)
      Move with the Times (1973)
      Industry vol.1 (1975)
      Industry vol.2 (1975)
      Innovations Suite/Shape of things to Come (1977)
      Image (1974)
      Big Business/Wind of Change (1973)
      Synthesis (1974)
      Metropolis (1975)
      Great Expectations (1974)
      Solid Gold (1976)
      Flutes of Fancy (1978)
      Industry & Awards Industry (1978)
      Flutes for Moderns (1972)
      Beat Industrial (1972)
      Caricature (1978)
      Tedner Emotions (1976)
      Happy Hearts (1974)
      Friends & Lovers (1975)
      Love's Themes (1976)
      Last edited by Cameron; 19-12-2004, 09:59 AM. Reason: to add more LPs to the list
      A leaping rocker with a strong mood, a moderate beat and a safari feel.

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron
        The Hunter/Adventure Suite (1975)
        I heard some snippets from this a while ago... very nice indeed.
        Official Old School UK Hip Hop T-Shirts available at www.stylewarrior.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron
          Visual Impact (1976)
          ... Nice list Cameron ( as always! ) - this one has always been a big favourite of mine, killer drama Pearson ill stabs breaks...

( guess who's been looking at eBay again... )
          If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

God I haven't listened to my kpms in years. I think I could tired of the 'sound'. I'll have a sift through the 1000-1100 series when I get a chance.

Anyone know a track 'rock out in soul' by ted sommer quartet. Its on a kpm but need to know the #.
            www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Nice one Sermad - thanks for keeping that "Rock Out In Soul" quest alive for me. The lads Stateside will be pleased if the V V library heads can help !

... and I agree with your comment about "the library sound" - I must admit, apart from "Little Bossa" (for "Gloaming") on De Wolfe and "Beat Action" on RKM (it's a Roland Kluger outing - smashing!) I hardly listen to my libraries these days...

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Oh, can I have all your libs then, Sermad and Sie?

Is the Ted Sommer track definitely a KPM? The only library I know he wrote for is Sonaura, who were (I think) the US division of Chappell.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Thames
                  Oh, can I have all your libs then, Sermad and Sie?

Is the Ted Sommer track definitely a KPM? The only library I know he wrote for is Sonaura, who were (I think) the US division of Chappell.
                  yes its deffo a kpm.

well when you have hundreds of the buggers lord T you kind of forget which ones are worth the listen.

Comment

I'll see if I can come up with something re: Ted Sommer - is it a 60s or 70s recording? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's on any of the 1000 series, so I'd guess if it's a 60s one it might be on a very late era 78rpm (which may have been reissued on one of the LP00 series LPs), or on one of the KPM International Series (INTS cat. numbers).

I know what you mean about forgetting which ones are worth a listen - I've got a similar problem with Brutons (though there's some that say none of them are worth a listen anyway!)

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Thames
                      I'll see if I can come up with something re: Ted Sommer - is it a 60s or 70s recording? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's on any of the 1000 series, so I'd guess if it's a 60s one it might be on a very late era 78rpm (which may have been reissued on one of the LP00 series LPs), or on one of the KPM International Series (INTS cat. numbers).

I know what you mean about forgetting which ones are worth a listen - I've got a similar problem with Brutons (though there's some that say none of them are worth a listen anyway!)
                      I checked my site which has every 1000-1110 and came dry. But there are a couple missing.

I have a feeling its one of the kpm international series - same as that clarke boland big band.

ie uber rare.

Comment

I've got a full KPM catalogue and neither the title nor composer rings a bell. Could be hidden away on one of the crap ones I s'pose
                        Library blog

Comment

Got a Sonaura library today with Ted Sommer tracks on but not the Rock out in Soul.

Anyone have any more leads on this?.

Julian??

Comment

Working...
                          X