Hobo - "Magician" LP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobo - "Magician" LP

A short while ago I picked up an LP on the Hobo label (which was apparently run and owned by British arranger Stan Butcher) called "Magician". It's from 1979 and features an impressive line-up of UK session players such as Barry Morgan, Barbara Thompson, Fiachra Tench, Les Hurdle and John Girvan.

The music is very tight, library-style small-group funk and all the compositions are by Stan himself.

I'd never heard of this label before - does anyone know if there's anything else worth picking up on this label?

Many thanks for any help - much appreciated.
    Last edited by Cameron; 18-12-2004, 07:57 PM.
    A leaping rocker with a strong mood, a moderate beat and a safari feel.

A lovely LP. I've had it for a while and at the time I found it I searched around for any info and came up with a big fat nowt. Please let me know what you find out.

The latest Colin Hero & LDJB mix (for the upcoming Headspin birthday celebrations) kicks off with 'Playground' from that very LP - if anyone wants a copy give me a shout and I'll sort you out in the new year.
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Many thnaks LDJB for the reply. It is a lovely LP isn't it? You're right about "Playground", too - great track. I also love the moody Fender Rhodes solo on the first track on side 1.

If I find anything out about the LP I'll post it up on the site.

Comment

I have a 7" by Magician on Hobo which I really like, "House of the Purple Mist" Parts 1 and 2. Posted about it on here yonks ago. Library style headnodder with moody rhodes, flute,etc. A very odd thing to have come out on 7" in 1979.

Hobo seems to have been owned by Monty Babson (rather than Stan Butcher).

I've got three other 7"s on the label which seems to have continued into the mid 80s. Of those, the one to look out for is the brilliant Leiah Ikafa "Disco 2000" (on 7" and 12"). Uptempo jazzyish, afroish disco /not disco dancer which you might enjoy even if disco ain't your thang. The other side is quite good, too.
        Last edited by son of stan; 19-12-2004, 11:33 AM.
        Endless Tripe

Comment

Thanks for the info Stan. I'll have to look out for those Hobo 45s!

Comment

Hmmm Ive wanted this for quite a long time. Never knew there was a 7. cheers..!
            www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Working...
            X