Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Martine Girault Revival

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Martine Girault Revival

    What does this sample? I've been looking for the OG this morning and I've had a brainstorm and can't remember what the hell the source was. Brecker Brothers? Er?
    http://www.djhistory.com

  • #2
    What? A sample? I thought this was a genuine original.

    Comment


    • #3
      Nope, a friend jogged my memory: Tom Scott & LA Express - Sneakin' In The Back. The little Rhodes riff is lifted from this.
      http://www.djhistory.com

      Comment


      • #4
        Not to be down on this tune (I haven't even heard it, or the group behind it), but I swear if I hear another smokey beat laden, downtempo, meaningless thing with those bloody Tom Scott keyboards or those drums for that matter, playing at a semi-low volume, in a bar with big windows and polished wooden floors, that probably has a policy of playing loud techno at 5.30pm to drive out the old regulars still clinging desperately to the memory of their old local, and two hours later will have some total twat DJing with CDs and using both headphones for his all important blend that a monkey could do whilst rodeo riding a collie (see avatar) and making everyone feel ill because it's blaring out at 99 decibels because the turd hasn't taken off one earphone to check if the volume is ok because he's so immersed in his daydream of winning the bedroom DJ of the year competition in DJ Magazine... I think my head will explode.

        Sorry Bill... and everybody.
        Last edited by Nick Cope; 20-12-2004, 10:51 PM.
        http://wakeupanddie.com
        http://weirdgearnyc.com
        http://makethingsmatter.com

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Nick Cope
          Not to be down on this tune (I haven't even heard it, or the group behind it), but I swear if I hear another smokey beat laden, downtempo, meaningless thing with those bloody Tom Scott keyboards or those drums for that matter, .... I think my head will explode.
          Come on Nick: Your description of "Revival" is so spot on that you must have heard it before.
          Listen here: http://mp3.juno.co.uk/MP3/SF130383-01-02-13.mp3

          Strange, that I never noticed that it's the same as on Massive Attack's Blue Lines.
          It's so bloody obvious. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/cl...023075-1024843
          Last edited by Yemsky; 21-12-2004, 01:22 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            If we don't mind the original sounds this sounds like Massive Attack Vs. Soul II Soul to me... Really original song

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Yemsky
              Come on Nick: Your description of "Revival" is so spot on that you must have heard it before.
              Listen here: http://mp3.juno.co.uk/MP3/SF130383-01-02-13.mp3

              Strange, that I never noticed that it's the same as on Massive Attack's Blue Lines.
              It's so bloody obvious. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/cl...023075-1024843

              I'm amazed more of you haven't heard this tune.

              Stone cold classic that's nearly 10 years old. Many happy memories to this rekkid.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Hadrian Elephant
                Reminds me of the Salmon & Compasses the other week


                I'm joking Belson, Bongolia, Green Man & Hooded Claw, I'm joking!!!!!
                And once again shall fall on deaf ears, matey.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I know it's a good record and one I bought when it came out, but in some way I feel there is something a bit smug about it. Know what I mean? "There's Nothing Like This" by Omar, that's another one. Smugsoul.

                  Purely my twisted sensibilities, I'm quite sure.
                  Endless Tripe

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Belson
                    I'm amazed more of you haven't heard this tune.

                    Stone cold classic that's nearly 10 years old. Many happy memories to this rekkid.

                    it's older than that isn't it? thought it came out about '92?
                    http://soundcloud.com/benjaminhatton

                    http://mixcloud.com/benjaminhatton

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Walking down Berwick street many years ago I could heard the smokey grooves of that song being pumped out of a record store. Went in to the store to ask what tune it was a found myself in a queue of people buying that record right out the box. I guess that was the day it dropped or something, must have had a massive pre-release buzz.

                      I agree with Son of Stan about his smugness comment.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I know what you mean about the smug comment, it's very smooth, but.... Read this and maybe it might not sound so smug next time:
                        http://www.cityroads.co.uk/pages/client/client.htm


                        Personally, I think it's one of the classic British soul records, but I don't mind a bit smooth occasionally.
                        http://www.djhistory.com

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by benjamin hatton
                          it's older than that isn't it? thought it came out about '92?

                          Aye - you are indeed correct. And my copy is a numbered promo which probably got distro'd in 91.

                          Blimey, how time flies .

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I think my favourite UK soul single from that period is Courtney Buchanan 'RU Conscious' which was always a bit of an anthem round these parts
                            We know when a mate buys it for you too.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Belson
                              Aye - you are indeed correct. And my copy is a numbered promo which probably got distro'd in 91.

                              Blimey, how time flies .
                              Also got a rerelease in '96 (?) with a Bad Boy rejig. And it's no way near as smug as 'There's Nothing Like This'! That should have been included in the bad lyrics thread for it's line about 'warm champagne wine' - *UNECESSARY-EXTRA-WORD-TO MAKE-IT-RHYME-ALERT!!!*
                              You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X