Charity Soul Finds...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charity Soul Finds...

Walked into a charity on Christmas Eve, only to find the following little pile of 45s placed nonchalantly on an Argos bedside table... had to pick them up for pence Don't know very much about any of them, except that they are mostly US pressings and sound mostly very enjoyable indeed. All of them are at least EX condition.

Innocent Bystanders - 'Crime Doesn't Pay' / 'Frantic Escape' - (Atlantic)
    Butch Baker 1011 - 'The Fat Man' / Working At The Go Go' - (St. Lawrence)
    Cindy Scott - 'In Your Spare Time' / 'I Love You Baby' - (Soultown)
    Mirwood Strings - 'The Temptation Walk' / 'Oh My Darlin'' - (Mirwood)
    Jerry Williams - 'It's Because I Love You' / 'Yvonne' - (Pye Int.)
    Wally Cox - 'This Man' / 'I've Had Enough' - (Pye Int.)
    Dorothy Moore - 'Here It Is' / 'Misty Blue' - (Contempo)
    Willie Tee - 'Walking Up A One Way Street' / 'Teasin' You' - (Atlantic)
    Bobby Moore & The Rhythm Aces - 'Hey, Mr DJ' / 'Searching For My Love' - (Checker)
    100 Proof - 'Somebody's Been Sleeping' / 'I've Come To Save You' - (Hot Wax)
    Vel-Vets - 'I Got To Find Me Somebody' / 'What Now My Love' - (Pye Int.)
    Shawne Jackson - 'Just As Bad As You' / 'He May Be Your Man' - (Pye Int.)

Not a bad little haul for pence I reckon.

Hi Wooly,

Very nice finds there - especially on Xmas eve too - nice one!

I too had a similar bit of luck in one of my local charities on Xmas eve, when I found for 50p each -

Roger Webb - Free as Air (De Wolfe, 1972)
    Two Bosworth libraries from '76 featuring Syd Dale, Tony Kinsey, Alan Parker etc.
    Studio G - Jazz Funk Road
    Jack Parnell - Braziliana

Makes up for the many, many times I've been in there and found absolutely nowt.
    A leaping rocker with a strong mood, a moderate beat and a safari feel.

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron
      Studio G - Jazz Funk Road
      I've sold 2 of these for £20 + £25 this year - don't like it myself but it seems to be a popular one to have - nice for 50p!

Only 1 record for me this Chrimbo: Shame - Don't Go 'Way Little Girl - UK MGM demo - nice english sitar-sike (not a charity shop find I hasten to add!)
      Last edited by Col Wolfe; 28-12-2004, 05:10 PM.
      new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron
        Jack Parnell - Braziliana

Makes up for the many, many times I've been in there and found absolutely nowt.
        I really like 'Braziliana' too. Good LP.

Found a few LPs for about 15p each, too - the ones I can remember are:

1910 Fruitgum Co. - "Hard Ride" - (Buddah) - Decent psych grooves on this one! I'm sure someone else charted this but I can't find any reference to it on the site, so maybe I'm mistaken.

Candlewick Green - "What Kind Of Songs" - (Decca) - Good classic pop such as "Who Do You Think You Are?" etc...

Edmundo Ros - "Nothing But Aces" - (Decca Phase4) - Excellent sinister version of "Be In (Hare Krishna)" ... I can never resist a bit of Ros. Uptempo and 1969 vintage.

Telltale - "Rainbow" - Ah yes, the kiddie psych-folk LP featuring the full-length version of the Rainbow theme tune with the wobbly bit in the middle. Zippy on the cover, too. Spare copy!

No records for christmas presents though... but I did get the "Sweeney - Official Companion" book which looks amazing. And the DVD with both Sweeney films on.

Comment

Wooly - if you haven't seen the Sweeney spin-off films yet then you're in for a treat. "Sweeney 2" is probably the best - check out the gruesome ending!

Nice Tony Hatch disco-funk score, too - look out for the EMI 7" from 1978!
          A leaping rocker with a strong mood, a moderate beat and a safari feel.

Comment

Looking forward to seeing the Sweeney films, but we're still slowly working through series 4 here - enjoying all the music, of course, but the redesigned title sequence threw me completely at first.

Comment

Quote:

1910 Fruitgum Co. - "Hard Ride" - (Buddah) - Decent psych grooves on this one! I'm sure someone else charted this but I can't find any reference to it on the site, so maybe I'm mistaken.

I'm a big fan of that record too. Not bubble gum at all.
              "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

Originally posted by Campag Record
                Quote:

I'm a big fan of that record too. Not bubble gum at all.

Spot-on. It seems it was one big departure from their earlier material. Great sleeve, too. Glad someone else likes it!

Comment

Nice. I actually went to a record show on Sunday, and there weren't many 45s there (my format of choice), but I did find 10 45s for $5.00, mainly jazz stuff.....
                  Gene Ammons - Jungle Cat, Cannonball Adderly Quintet on Capital, Jimmy Smith - Bro' Pugh (Mojo), a couple of Verve sides, a couple of JB 45s, Fatback Band - Nija Walk.

Thankfully a dealer did show up later with some 45s, and I bought some other things I'd been after like Jerry Washington - In My Life I've Loved (Excello), Johnny Hammond Smith - Smokin' Kool, and a couple of records that went on the 'bay.....
                  http://three-sixty-five45s.blogspot.com/

Comment

?!

Just got back from the local shops, spent far too much on lots of average crap. The odd goodie though.

Yardbirds - Shapes of Things 7"
                    Kinks - Dead End St 7"
                    Kinks - All Day & All of the Nite 7"
                    Jimi Hendrix - Crosstown Traffic 7"
                    David Bowie - Laughing Gnome 7" on Deram - this is REALLY bad!

Plus some OK LP's. . .well Ok for a quid or so.

Assagai - Afrorock
                    John McLaughlin - S/T (?) on Douglas 9
                    Hubert Laws - Rite of Spring
                    Alan Moorehouse & Bond St. Brigade
                    Shirley Bassey - Something
                    Tangerine Dream - Phaedra
                    The horrible Leo Muller produced "Swinging London" LP

Plus an 80's Polydor 12" of JB's "Soul Power".

Also dropped a possibly misplaced £15 on a fairly hammered (yet playable) copy of Howlin' Wolf's 1964 "Moanin' At Midnight" LP.

All in all a pretty good day for diggin'.

Comment

I like that John McLaughlin LP...
                      We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Went out and had a mini celebration dig today after hearing after 3 days that my best friend that runs a dive school in Koh Lak Thailand was alive and well. Kind of puts everything into perspective!!

Found the follwing for a £1 each:

Mr Superbad and the Mighty Super Power Band - Mr Superbad / Mr Superbad's Theme - Contempo

Timmy Thomas Why Can't We Live Together / Funky ME - Mojo

Patchwork - Afro Disiac / Laughing Sam - Decca - Double

The Globetrotters - Gravy / Cheer Me UP - RCA - Double

John Dankworth - Telford's Change / Serenade for Sylvia - BBC - Double

Chubby Checker - Gypsy / Reggae my Way - 20th Cent

Ray Munnings - Funky Nassau / Jump in the Water - Tammi - Realy like this one, anyone have any info?

Comment

Originally posted by llmod1
                          Ray Munnings - Funky Nassau / Jump in the Water - Tammi - Realy like this one, anyone have any info?
                          it's ace. original versions on the v rare 2nd Beginning Of The End LP (ask Sie Vulture!). on 12" that's a very expensive record, on 45 goes for about 20 quid. either way nice find.
                          http://www.blaxploitation.com
                          Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Originally posted by theeman
                            it's ace. original versions on the v rare 2nd Beginning Of The End LP (ask Sie Vulture!). on 12" that's a very expensive record, on 45 goes for about 20 quid. either way nice find.
                            Think you'll find the 7" & 12" both command a high price now days, the 7" is maybe worth more?

Sold my 12" for £75.00, but seen it for £150, been offered high $$ for my 45, in demand on the crossover scene (whatever/whereever that may be) these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Beaver
                              Think you'll find the 7" & 12" both command a high price now days, the 7" is maybe worth more?

Sold my 12" for £75.00, but seen it for £150, been offered high $$ for my 45, in demand on the crossover scene (whatever/whereever that may be) these days.
                              I don't think the 45 is worth more, but it's certainly worth quite a lot. The 12 is currently going for anywhere up to £200. It Could Happen To You, which is also on Tammi and by Munnings (if you're into disco, it's the better of the two 12s), is now starting to go for ridiculous sums, too. Last one on eBay went for about £65.
                              http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Working...
                              X