Giving up funk for...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giving up funk for...

Another year goes by and time for a bit of reflection. Kind of makes you think that collecting records gets a bit out of hand and its time to sell a few off - maybe for a house deposit/baby/whatever.

So has anyone actually done this and how ruthless were you. I'm talking selling hundreds of your core records...
    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

when I got divorced I needed to get money quickly as I wanted to keep the house - sold about £10k of UK freakbeat/psych 45s - probably worked out at around 500 singles which isn't a vast amount volume-wise but there were loads of big players in there. makes me angry thinking about it to this day
    new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Col - Really sorry about that mate. Have you gone about getting most of them back?

Separations seem to be a constant source of people selling off the big hitters. That Keb Darge interview touched on the same thing.
      www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Oof! That's something I find very hard to contemplate - I'd find it a huge wrench to get rid of records like that (therefore witness how much stress moving house causes me). But I guess that goes for most of us (?) and a roof is more important than the vinyl. Cue Matt suggesting I live in a house made of James Last LP's.

On a bit of a tangent, did anyone else watch the documentary on OCD on Five on Sunday night? I hope I'm not the only one identifying with the three sufferers. Then making a list of the traits. And ticking them off one by one...
        You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by sermad
          Col - Really sorry about that mate. Have you gone about getting most of them back?

Separations seem to be a constant source of people selling off the big hitters. That Keb Darge interview touched on the same thing.
          I've managed to get a lot back over the last few years (at waaaay higher prices than I originally paid) although current tastes aided me in being more selective i.e. clawing back the more later psych-tinged beaters (wimple winch, winstons fumbs, barrier, voice etc) and not following up on the more standard R&B flavoured ones (betterdays, syndicats, wheels etc).

Getting rid of all these helped me lose my 'UK only' fixation which a lot of people had back then. The best thing to come out of it I reckon, as I'm now addicted to French 45s with pretty picture sleeves. Bless.

Oh yeah, I also traded a 99% complete set of UK issue Sue 45s for a VW camper van about 10 years ago. Wasn't too bothered about that as A) I'd bought most as a job-lot at an auction so no effort spent hunting them down B) Most of the tracks are shite and C) I really wanted the camper. So bad in fact that I'd sold it within 6 months

Would like to see that Keb interview out of interest, if you have a link Serms...
          new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

i've sold off literally 1000's of 12"s - mostly dodgy promos - in the last few months, mostly due to space constraints, and also cos someone offered to give me money for them. so made sense really.

but the bulk still remain. i must admit that i do very occasionally get the itch to get rid of the lot wholesale. not for any specific reason, but just for the sense of liberation i'd imagine it bringing. then reason (or OCD) takes hold again and i'm back off hunting more of the darned things...

Comment

Originally posted by vinylism
              (or OCD) takes hold again and i'm back off hunting more of the darned things...
              Is that the root of it all then? Are we all obsessive-compulsive in some way? I suppose there's got to be an element of it...

Comment

Originally posted by vinylism
                i must admit that i do very occasionally get the itch to get rid of the lot wholesale. not for any specific reason, but just for the sense of liberation i'd imagine it bringing.
                You're not the only one. Imagine the freedom we'd all have if we got rid of the blasted things.
                You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

In 2001 I decided to head off to do so travelling & had to/decided to (at the time I convinced myself it was the former, with hindsight it was the latter) sell part of my collection, as I felt there was no way I could force my the whole collection on my family to store for 2 years.

Whilst I got rid of a load of 80s soul/dance that I have no regrets about, I mistakenly sold around 100 late 80s hip-hop 12s. Boy did I regret this. Three years on there are still occasions when I go looking for a record only to discover it went in my clear out! So it gets added to the want's list DOH!

So my advice is if you do plan to sell some of your vinyl, think long & hard as to what you plan to sell!
                  www.sliderecordshop.com

Comment

[QUOTE=sermad]Another year goes by and time for a bit of reflection. Kind of makes you think that collecting records gets a bit out of hand and its time to sell a few off - maybe for a house deposit/baby/whatever.

Yup. She's around 65cm tall, weighs 10lbs and shites like a christian at Diwali.
                    it's time for some heartbeats

Comment

Originally posted by Soul-Fiend
                      Yup. She's around 65cm tall, weighs 10lbs and shites like a christian at Diwali.
                      LOL! Has she really curbed your record buying though???

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Hero
                        LOL! Has she really curbed your record buying though???

I'm talking about the missus here Rich, you knows dat!

Comment

MODZ
                          Hero No.9
                          Last edited by Col Wolfe; 09-12-2009 at 10:37 PM.
                          THERE MIGHT BE ANOTHER CRIPZ AT SOME POINT ITS HARD TO SAY

Comment

That is somewhat scary right there. Not only does this boy squish wildlife, but he forces mash on enfants. I am dialling Social Services now.

Hang on!

I AM Social Services!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sermad
                              So has anyone actually done this and how ruthless were you. I'm talking selling hundreds of your core records...
                              Just over a year ago I decided that it was time to move, and having saved up precisely zero cash over the last decade (having ploughed any spare money into records) drastic action was required. Since the funk 45 market seemed to have reached insane new levels and most of the good ones were getting re-issued anyway, I decided to sell off the 10 rarest funk 45s I owned.

Got the deposit together and now I live in a nice flat. Except the bathroom. And I sold a northern soul 45 last month which will sort that out...

Regrets? None... I've still got about another 5,000 records to listen to, and can still enjoy the trophy records albeit on the re-issue format. Many of which sound better than the originals, anyway...
                              Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

Working...
                              X