Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bodger
    replied
    Just downsized myself and its a painfull experience. Not the fact of getting rid of stuff (that will be coming) but where to put it all until some boxes get cleared! The other half is clamering for space and my boxes are everywhere....

Did find some good bits though in the initial packaging up - couple of 12"s not seen for many moons which I'd thought were lost whilst out on some shakey session Also a small collection of regae 7's not seen the light of day for 10 years but sound sooo good now - it was worth the back pain issues I guess

Leave a comment:

• Sie Vulture
    replied
    I've just moved house and so spent some time before Christmas sifting through a loft full of records and ended up selling about 500 12"s and LP's that we would all clasify as "surplus to requirements". At some point, they must have registered as "mediocre" in my mind, but 3 years on since they went up into the loft, they had to go...

I made a bunch of cash selling them in bulk. Walked out of the record shop and spuffed all ( and I mean *all* ) the money on records in the shop across the street... D'oh! ( nothing changes, eh? )

The only good thing about moving house is that it is an opportunity to have a good rummage through some of the crap you've stashed in the loft over the years... It also helps if you are "downizing rapidly" as I have just done as that means you have to be pretty ruthless... grrr!

Leave a comment:

• emperor tomato ketchup
    replied
    I find flicking through the large pile of recent, hardly played records is the best way to distract myself from the horror of getting rid of stuff.

Anyway I have no great divesting myself of either crap records or very valuable ones but its mediocre ones that are the problem. Tones which are quite good and worth having but just not nearly as good as the best ones. There's only so many hours in the day so some of them have to go.

Leave a comment:

• MystDrF
    replied
    I keep turning over all my records , but always end up with more. I really quite enjoy hunting down things I've had before. Saves forming any unhealthy attachments to any given slab of plastic.

The upside of having extra cash is I can use it for moral blackmail on the dear lady wife along the lines of - 'if you don't let me look in every charity shop in this town we won't be able to have that holiday/dress/other wifely thing I promised you'.

Means I can indulge and be relatively free of those deep sighs and shuffling feet that appear behind you as you lean to pray to the vinyl crate god in Save the Children.

Leave a comment:

• Beaver
    replied
    I'm in the process/need to drastically trim down my collection to get out of the massive debt i'm in, due to my first baby being on it's way.

I have just sold Ray Frazier on Stanson for £500 & it broke my heart, but as Divine said, I have both tracks recorded onto CD & they sound fine, I barely ever play out so whats the point in having orig 45s??

Boo hoo, i'm soo fookin sad, waaahhhhh!!!!

Leave a comment:

• The Divine One
    replied
    Originally posted by sermad
    So has anyone actually done this and how ruthless were you. I'm talking selling hundreds of your core records...
    Just over a year ago I decided that it was time to move, and having saved up precisely zero cash over the last decade (having ploughed any spare money into records) drastic action was required. Since the funk 45 market seemed to have reached insane new levels and most of the good ones were getting re-issued anyway, I decided to sell off the 10 rarest funk 45s I owned.

Got the deposit together and now I live in a nice flat. Except the bathroom. And I sold a northern soul 45 last month which will sort that out...

Regrets? None... I've still got about another 5,000 records to listen to, and can still enjoy the trophy records albeit on the re-issue format. Many of which sound better than the originals, anyway...

Leave a comment:

• Soul-Fiend
    replied
    That is somewhat scary right there. Not only does this boy squish wildlife, but he forces mash on enfants. I am dialling Social Services now.

Hang on!

I AM Social Services!!!

Leave a comment:

• SARGE
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Soul-Fiend
    replied
    Originally posted by Rich Hero
    LOL! Has she really curbed your record buying though???

I'm talking about the missus here Rich, you knows dat!

Leave a comment:

• Rich Hero
    replied
    Originally posted by Soul-Fiend
    Yup. She's around 65cm tall, weighs 10lbs and shites like a christian at Diwali.
    LOL! Has she really curbed your record buying though???

Leave a comment:

• Soul-Fiend
    replied
    [QUOTE=sermad]Another year goes by and time for a bit of reflection. Kind of makes you think that collecting records gets a bit out of hand and its time to sell a few off - maybe for a house deposit/baby/whatever.

Yup. She's around 65cm tall, weighs 10lbs and shites like a christian at Diwali.

Leave a comment:

• Warren
    replied
    In 2001 I decided to head off to do so travelling & had to/decided to (at the time I convinced myself it was the former, with hindsight it was the latter) sell part of my collection, as I felt there was no way I could force my the whole collection on my family to store for 2 years.

Whilst I got rid of a load of 80s soul/dance that I have no regrets about, I mistakenly sold around 100 late 80s hip-hop 12s. Boy did I regret this. Three years on there are still occasions when I go looking for a record only to discover it went in my clear out! So it gets added to the want's list DOH!

So my advice is if you do plan to sell some of your vinyl, think long & hard as to what you plan to sell!

Leave a comment:

• Rich Hero
    replied
    Originally posted by vinylism
    i must admit that i do very occasionally get the itch to get rid of the lot wholesale. not for any specific reason, but just for the sense of liberation i'd imagine it bringing.
    You're not the only one. Imagine the freedom we'd all have if we got rid of the blasted things.

Leave a comment:

• wooly
    replied
    Originally posted by vinylism
    (or OCD) takes hold again and i'm back off hunting more of the darned things...
    Is that the root of it all then? Are we all obsessive-compulsive in some way? I suppose there's got to be an element of it...

Leave a comment:

• vinylism
    replied
    i've sold off literally 1000's of 12"s - mostly dodgy promos - in the last few months, mostly due to space constraints, and also cos someone offered to give me money for them. so made sense really.

but the bulk still remain. i must admit that i do very occasionally get the itch to get rid of the lot wholesale. not for any specific reason, but just for the sense of liberation i'd imagine it bringing. then reason (or OCD) takes hold again and i'm back off hunting more of the darned things...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X